3/25 | White Sox vs Reds | 3:05PM CT | whitesox.com

Tnetennba

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Really is amazing how his 98 mph fastball looks slow to the hitters

I know, right? 

What's weird is that he has a high spin rate but bad carry. Contrast that with Giolito who has a below average spin rate but elite carry. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Liam Hendriks had a quote in a recent athletic article where he said it’s better to be below average than to be average. I think this is what he meant. Might be better off throwing 89 mph than 98 when everybody is throwing 98

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah.  He does not look good.  It’s tough cuz Lynn and Rodon are both signed for this year only, so if Cease can’t make it, they have a lot of slots long term.

That’s why they’re stretching out Kopech and Crochet in the minors

• Haha 3

Why did they squander their FA wad on a luxury purchase in Hendriks, instead of picking up some desperately needed SP depth?

Cease has sucked at baseball, and has needed to be sent down to MiLB for him to find the fucking strike zone for awhile now. Lopez has sucked at baseball. And Rodon has sucked at baseball. 

Between Jimenez's injury, and Cease continually shitting his pants, all I can say is that this is not good.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fathom said:

That’s why they’re stretching out Kopech and Crochet in the minors

The Dodgers have been able to develop Urias, May, and Gonsolin in a similar way. The question is whether the Sox will have the discipline to actually use Kopech in a multi inning role so he's able to get stretched out.

47 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree with this. I saw that he will be there tomorrow, but under the idea that there's no time like the present to start something that is clearly necessary. 

Maybe I am wrong but he seems to not be missing badly.  Getting squeezed some but hes there (obviously some bad balls).. I don't think the 3 walks are indicative of his command today.  His curve has been good and no one has hit it hard at all and i even like the change.. The fastball is the issue still

18 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I said this last year in one of Cease's starts but he has to use his change up more similar to Gio to make his fastball less hittable. He used it quite a bit in a couple starts last year and pitched a lot better

What makes Giolito's changeup so deadly is that his fastball has elite carry and the pitches tunnel for 50 feet. There was a Pitching Ninja overlay of Giolito's fastball/change and it was incredible how long they stay on the same plane. 

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Maybe I am wrong but he seems to not be missing badly.  Getting squeezed some but hes there (obviously some bad balls).. I don't think the 3 walks are indicative of his command today.  His curve has been good and no one has hit it hard at all and i even like the change.. The fastball is the issue still

Hitters can sit fastball and destroy it. If that's the case, his breakers don't matter really. 

Cease is one guy where you have to look at hitters reaction to his stuff rather than the radar gun. 

Hint: hitters are all over his shit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yep the last walk was the only non-competitive one I’ve seen.  He’s missing his fastball location consistently, but it’s not as drastically wild as last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep the last walk was the only non-competitive one I’ve seen.  He’s missing his fastball location consistently, but it’s not as drastically wild as last year.

I'm not sure it really matters because his fastball is so hittable. 

I can't believe what a total disaster Cease is.  Why didn't they make that trade with Pittsburgh...useless management...total idiots.

Spring Stats

IP    H    R   BB   SO  

Cease           9.2   7    1     6     7

Musgrove   13    15  10    5    11

Soxtalk gonna Soxtalk

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I can't believe what a total disaster Cease is.  Why didn't they make that trade with Pittsburgh...useless management...total idiots.

Spring Stats

IP    H    R   BB   SO  

Cease           9.2   7    1     6     7

Musgrove   13    15  10    5    11

Soxtalk gonna Soxtalk

Also having people argue the entire off-season that Leury & Mendick was enough position player depth sure was fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1