The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

Leury Garcia is (or should be) your LF.

The ONLY place this organization has any semblance of depth is in utility infielders. It makes the most sense to just hand Mendick the IF innings Leury would have gotten, and Remillard or Sanchez is the the next man up. Vaughn is penciled in for regular ABs as DH already; you aren't adding his bat to the lineup by sticking him in LF. Putting Vaughn in LF just gives Collins more ABs as DH, and while Collins is surely a better hitter than Leury, Vaughn is just as surely a way worse defender in the OF simply by virtue of his terrible footspeed. When you factor the increased chance of injury to Vaughn and the potential negative effect on his bat from the of stress/distraction of learning a position he isn't physically suited to play, I think Leury as a starter is the clearly correct choice.

Don't worry, I'm not happy about it either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Leury Garcia is (or should be) your LF.

The ONLY place this organization has any semblance of depth is in utility infielders. It makes the most sense to just hand Mendick the IF innings Leury would have gotten, and Remillard or Sanchez is the the next man up. Vaughn is penciled in for regular ABs as DH already; you aren't adding his bat to the lineup by sticking him in LF. Putting Vaughn in LF just gives Collins more ABs as DH, and while Collins is surely a better hitter than Leury, Vaughn is just as surely a way worse defender in the OF simply by virtue of his terrible footspeed. When you factor the increased chance of injury to Vaughn and the potential negative effect on his bat from the of stress/distraction of learning a position he isn't physically suited to play, I think Leury as a starter is the clearly correct choice.

Don't worry, I'm not happy about it either.

An inexperienced outfielder could also be  a hazard to Mocada, Anderson and Robert on fly balls in the gaps between them. 

13 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

An inexperienced outfielder could also be  a hazard to Mocada, Anderson and Robert on fly balls in the gaps between them. 

Let's just hope if we keep repeating that fear that the so-called brain trust of the organization comes to the same conclusion and doesn't force Vaughn to fit and compound the problem with another key injury.

Then you're really behind the 8 ball having to make a desperation trade, or, gasp, add on salary.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Like as in major league ready?  Probably Luis Gonzalez.  Obviously Nick Williams is another option theoretically. 

Rutherford, Adolfo and Gonzalez must not be able to play the game at MLB level if none of them can get in on some of this action. If Nick Williams is in everybody’s way at this point, yeesh. Still holding out faint hope that the organization is only desperate for Collins and Vaughn to get their shots this season. Anyway, the Sox being able to be dinged for rigid outlook on  service time issues seems to be over

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I haven’t been able to catch the games that Vaughn has played LF. How has he looked?

I watched one passively and didn’t watch the other - from what I gleaned though, he had 3 fielding attempts in total over 18 innings and did just fine.

• Love 1

Vaughan has been playing baseball for most of his life so he will be comfortable out there.  LF is not that hard to play.  All he needs to do is catch fly balls.  He does not need to be Alex Gordon out there.  Eloy had some speed but he was a butcher out there and then acted like a clown which finally cost him a season.  I think there is no way he can play the field ever again.  He is incredibly injury prone and literally cannot get out of his own way.

Vaughan will be comparable to Schwarber out there which is fine and may be better for the White Sox in the long run.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Vaughan has been playing baseball for most of his life so he will be comfortable out there.  LF is not that hard to play.  All he needs to do is catch fly balls.  He does not need to be Alex Gordon out there.  Eloy had some speed but he was a butcher out there and then acted like a clown which finally cost him a season.  I think there is no way he can play the field ever again.  He is incredibly injury prone and literally cannot get out of his own way.

Vaughan will be comparable to Schwarber out there which is fine and may be better for the White Sox in the long run.

It is Vaughn.

11 hours ago, hi8is said:

I watched one passively and didn’t watch the other - from what I gleaned though, he had 3 fielding attempts in total over 18 innings and did just fine.

He looks lean and mean . Runs pretty good down the line for what I was expecting. But as far as what kinds of jumps he is getting haven’t really seen. But Robert is cheating his way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

He looks lean and mean . Runs pretty good down the line for what I was expecting. But as far as what kinds of jumps he is getting haven’t really seen. But Robert is cheating his way

I don't think he's going to be any worse than Eloy when it comes to getting to balls. It's throwing that is going to cost a run once in a while.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't think he's going to be any worse than Eloy when it comes to getting to balls. It's throwing that is going to cost a run once in a while.

Didn't he pitch some in college?  He has to have a decent arm for being a reliever in the PAC12. 

23 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

It would make sense to put someone else in LF when Keuchel pitches and not overexpose Vaughn. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I loved seeing Larussa put Hamilton in the 7th after Vaughns at bat (assumed last).  Did Ricky EVER did this with Eloy?

It's been two games and I was in and out of the broadcast yesterday....but thus far I've been very happy with how TLR has managed in-game. I've agreed with almost all of decisions.