The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

Hard to tell anything positive yet, but he’s been making the few plays that come to him. He doesn’t seem any slower than Eloy thats for sure. Somehow he seems  surprisingly adequate. I can’t see anything thats been negative so far.  I like him in left more than at first if he can learn the job. Let Eloy learn how to play first, because I bet after it all shakes out that Vaughn will be a better left fielder than Eloy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

Hard to tell anything positive yet, but he’s been making the few plays that come to him. He doesn’t seem any slower than Eloy thats for sure. Somehow he seems  surprisingly adequate. I can’t see anything thats been negative so far.  I like him in left more than at first if he can learn the job. Let Eloy learn how to play first, because I bet after it all shakes out that Vaughn will be a better left fielder than Eloy.

Eloy at 1B seems like a bad idea, just make him the DH long-term if Vaughn or eventually Colas can take hold of LF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

Despite how hard Eloy makes it look, left field is not a hard position for 99% of big league athletes.  Vaughn will be fine out there.  Anybody that was able to play 3B in D1 should be able to play LF in MLB without too much issue, and Vaughn has been taking some OF reps for over a year now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Despite how hard Eloy makes it look, left field is not a hard position for 99% of big league athletes.  Vaughn will be fine out there.  Anybody that was able to play 3B in D1 should be able to play LF in MLB without too much issue, and Vaughn has been taking some OF reps for over a year now.

Exactly. On the pre-game show the other night, they had a graphic of guys who have played LF for most/a lot of their careers and, despite not being pretty, basically all of them had long MLB careers because of the bat.

I was not a fan of this from the start. I felt that Vaughn trying to learn a new position while also trying to learn to hit MLB pitching could lead to him not doing either well. The hitting may take some time, but he's showing promise as a left fielder. Eloy wouldve ran full speed into the wall on that play if he were in left. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Looks pretty solid in LF to me.  The at bats have been ugly, tho.  

Just as we expected.

Like Jason keeps saying on the broadcasts, I think he just needs that first hit to fall and then he'll be fine. He was seeing the ball better as the game went on last night

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vulture said:

Vaughn never played third

Ah my bad, I confused Rickie's comments last year with his college position.  For whatever reason Rickie was pretty effusive of Vaughn at 3B in spring.  Said he looked like a guy that could stick there.  Regardless, we've seen Vaughn in all of what, two games in left and he already looks just fine out there.  Certainly better than Eloy.  Good scouting by Chicago internally.  He's fine there.

• Like 1

The ball That went off Vaughn’s glove in the LF corner in the third was frustrating, and a good LFer gets it, most likely, but:

I actually thought it was kind of encouraging.  Granted, I was watching on a small screen, but it looked like he got a decent jump, took a decent route, was not timid but not stupid, and just didn’t quite get there because he’s not fast.  We absolutely can’t ask any more of him than that out there.  Thoughts?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

The ball That went off Vaughn’s glove in the LF corner in the third was frustrating, and a good LFer gets it, most likely, but:

I actually thought it was kind of encouraging.  Granted, I was watching on a small screen, but it looked like he got a decent jump, took a decent route, was not timid but not stupid, and just didn’t quite get there because he’s not fast.  We absolutely can’t ask any more of him than that out there.  Thoughts?

Yea - he certainly seems serviceable out there and should improve with more playing time. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

I was just glad he didn't dive and hurt himself... That's a step in the right direction :)

1 hour ago, BRDSR said:

I thought it was a tough play did anybody catch the exit velocity on it?  I thought it wasn't hit that hard but maybe it was, regardless it was a tough play.  

More importantly he looks OK at the dish.  It's risky having him try and make the jump from high A to MLB and play LF.  Clearly he is mentally steady, even for a pro ball player.

Keep proving me wrong please!