The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

20 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Vaughn's statcast page updated. That sprint speed, man.

image.png

Well, for comparison that makes him faster than Jay Bruce and Alex Gordon last year, and basically as fast as Shin-soo choo. And not that much slower than Juan Soto.

But still very slow.

48 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I thought it was a tough play did anybody catch the exit velocity on it?  I thought it wasn't hit that hard but maybe it was, regardless it was a tough play.  

More importantly he looks OK at the dish.  It's risky having him try and make the jump from high A to MLB and play LF.  Clearly he is mentally steady, even for a pro ball player.

Keep proving me wrong please!

Personally, I've thought he looks completely outmatched at the plate, particularly on anything offspeed. He looks like a guy who has never seen offspeed stuff that well controlled before, and is swinging no where close to things. 

That said, he almost certainly has never seen this quality of offspeed stuff before, so it isn't surprising that he looks that way. His setup and approach are still ok, but he's outmatched by the pitches themselves...for now. How long will it take him to get used to that, and figure out what pitchers in the big leagues have? No idea. Could be days. Could be way longer.

• Like 2

I think Vaughn has looked OK in left and shagged some routine fly balls but his sprint speed at statcast is 25.8 ft/s which is 27th out of 30 guys in LF this year. For comparison Eloy was at 27.2 last season. 

That is definitely not playable every day in the Of, but occasionally it is OK. 

I really think the Sox should make a trade here, you don't want Williams or hamiltons bat there but also not Vaughns glove. I wouldnt want Engel there every day either, just get a decent rental who can put up a 100 wrc+ with average defense. 

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think Vaughn has looked OK in left and shagged some routine fly balls but his sprint speed at statcast is 25.8 ft/s which is 27th out of 30 guys in LF this year. For comparison Eloy was at 27.2 last season. 

I really think the Sox should make a trade here, you don't want Williams or hamiltons bat there but also not Vaughns glove. I wouldnt want Engel there every day either, just get a decent rental who can put up a 100 wrc+ with average defense. 

Haniger is the logical move, with the Mariners’ future outfield of Kelenic, Lewis, Rodriguez and perhaps Trammell if he can hit well enough.

It’s too late for them to make any kind of run with him and Seager.

But the cost is going to be higher than many are expecting.  Same with Ketel Marte.  Gallo, etc.

Of course, you have the next tier or two down, guys like Tauchman or David Dahl.

47 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Did someone say Ketel Marte??? Give me that stud, let's pay up for him.

But he is an infielder and the Sox are pretty well set with madrigal, Anderson and moncada. Sure marte is fast and could play Of but why not get an outfielder in the first place who is probably cheaper than marte. 

50 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

But he is an infielder and the Sox are pretty well set with madrigal, Anderson and moncada. Sure marte is fast and could play Of but why not get an outfielder in the first place who is probably cheaper than marte. 

Ketel Marte plays CF quite regularly 😶

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don’t agree a one year rental is needed. Vaughn needs to learn to play LF, can be sent down to AAA for 3-6 weeks to play everyday, and then return as part of a four man OF rotation, with additional starts at DH with Eloy out.

Eloy should be banned from ever wearing a glove for the White Sox again.

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Vaughn showing that he can make all the routine plays in left field and an occasional good one (like in today's game) is a very, very positive development and far outweighs some of his early struggles at the plate.

1,000%

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I’ve been surprised by his early struggles at the plate - was convinced he would finally be “that guy” who just comes up torching.

But... it’s only been like 6 games for him.

Needs to get the bat head thru the zone faster.  It started the last week of ST when he was behind on everything.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Needs to get the bat head thru the zone faster.  It started the last week of ST when he was behind on everything.

Yeah - I’ve never seen him hesitant at the plate like this before in any at-bats previously at any level.

He’ll right the ship and won’t be surprised if it’s in the minors for a couple weeks.

51 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’ve been surprised by his early struggles at the plate - was convinced he would finally be “that guy” who just comes up torching.

But... it’s only been like 6 games for him.

I think he will be fine but he has a big hole in the outer half of the zone. I already saw that in spring, first they tried to bust him in and he turned on that very well but then in the second half of spring they adjusted and threw him more away and he did not much with that.

His head map supports that, he did not have many ABs but he has literally not hit anything in the outer half of the plate

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/andrew-vaughn/26197/heat-maps?position=OF&ss=&se=&hand=&count=&pitch=&season=&view=bat&data=&grid=&blur=&type=5

He needs to work on staying on that outside pitch longer and not cut across the zone so much. At lower levels he did not need to do that as he could just wait for his pitch with his good plate discipline but in the majors he can't have such a big hole because pitchers can locate.

Once he improves that he will be a tough out. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fathom said:

Especially Fb on the inner half. It looks like that is the current book on him.

His defensive “gem” is actually a routine fly ball to the warning track for most MLB outfielders, which he isn’t. This just highlighted he’s playing out of position which probably contributes to his lackluster plate appearances. 

29 minutes ago, Texsox said:

His defensive “gem” is actually a routine fly ball to the warning track for most MLB outfielders, which he isn’t. This just highlighted he’s playing out of position which probably contributes to his lackluster plate appearances. 

Eloy would have combusted on that play.