The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

39 minutes ago, tray said:

It may soon come down to whether you want Vaughn or Mercedes as our full-time DH. Pick one.

Between Eloy, Vaughn and Mercedes, Vaughn appears to be the best defensive LFer even though he had never played there before.  The question should be who will be DH, Yermin or Eloy.  Now I expect Yermin to come back down to earth by then, but if he's still raking, I'd stick with Yermin for the rest of the year.  Figure out what to do over the offseason.  This of course assumes Vaughn is hitting well.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man
  • Haha 2

I do not think we have seen enough Vaughn yet to conclude that he is better than anyone out there. Let's withhold judgment on him as a hitter and as an outfielder until we see more of him.  TLaR is giving Vaughn the chance to prove himself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

His defensive “gem” is actually a routine fly ball to the warning track for most MLB outfielders, which he isn’t. This just highlighted he’s playing out of position which probably contributes to his lackluster plate appearances. 

Oh give me a break man it was a good play by any standard.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, tray said:

I do not think we have seen enough Vaughn yet to conclude that he is better than anyone out there. Let's withhold judgment on him as a hitter and as an outfielder until we see more of him.  TLaR is giving Vaughn the chance to prove himself.

The Fenway wall will be fun this weekend.  Eloy might have put some dents in it w his body. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Yeah it wasn't super difficult to get there as he was playing deep already and the ball was hanging up a long time but the wall was well timed. 

Maybe I’m already used to seeing Eloy flub plays like that and break his pinky every other day.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:23 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Eloy couldn't even make every play a normal left fielder could.. Chill.

that's true but Eloy seems more athletic and probably runs faster and is a bigger guy

honestly it's probably a wash between them in LF, though Vaughn probably won't make as many boneheaded mistakes

5 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

that's true but Eloy seems more athletic and probably runs faster and is a bigger guy

honestly it's probably a wash between them in LF, though Vaughn probably won't make as many boneheaded mistakes

Eloy would basically get the worst reads, sometimes get there because he's athletic, then not seem to understand how catching works.

12 hours ago, chw42 said:

What's weird is that Vaughn has probably exceeded my expectations as a fielder, but has been disappointing at the plate. He has a good approach and sees pitches, but he can't hit fastballs in the zone.

L-O-L.  .136 AVG + .321 OBP.   5 BB to only 9K's.

This is the post of someone who hasn't played baseball since coach pitch.  Vaughn hit ropes ever since the La Russa old man mind games benching - to ALL sides of the field.  It's been 3 weeks of a season - Kid is a ball player and is a sleeping giant.  Wait until some of these balls start finding gaps and Vaughn is up to .250 AVG + .400 OBP...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

Eloy would basically get the worst reads, sometimes get there because he's athletic, then not seem to understand how catching works.

That's because there is more to being athletic than running fast in a straight line.  His ability is poor, his coordination on the move is beyond poor.  He'd be a god awful wide receiver.

7 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

This is the post of someone who hasn't played baseball since coach pitch.  Vaughn hit ropes ever since the La Russa old man mind games benching - to ALL sides of the field.  It's been 3 weeks of a season - Kid is a ball player and is a sleeping giant.  Wait until some of these balls start finding gaps and Vaughn is up to .250 AVG + .400 OBP...

Casually throwing out an ISOd of 150, yikes.

1 hour ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

LOL what? I said he has a good approach and sees pitches, which is why he has a pretty good OBP despite hitting .130. It's absolutely true that he hasn't handled fastballs in the zone well. It's understandable for a rookie, but with the way he was hyped as a hitter, I was expecting him to get more than 1 hit on fastballs 2 weeks into the season. You can go look up the splits. For his pitch values, he's at -1.1 runs on fastballs already. He'll be fine, but it's laughable to not be little bit disappointed by his hitting thus far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

LOL what? I said he has a good approach and sees pitches, which is why he has a pretty good OBP despite hitting .130. It's absolutely true that he hasn't handled fastballs in the zone well. It's understandable for a rookie, but with the way he was hyped as a hitter, I was expecting him to get more than 1 hit on fastballs 2 weeks into the season. You can go look up the splits. For his pitch values, he's at -1.1 runs on fastballs already. He'll be fine, but it's laughable to not be little bit disappointed by his hitting thus far.

Feel like we say this about Collins every year because of his walk rates.  That said, they’re not in the same stratosphere as hitting prospects.  Or, if they are, we’re in just a bit of trouble.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Feel like we say this about Collins every year because of his walk rates.  That said, they’re not in the same stratosphere as hitting prospects.  Or, if they are, we’re in just a bit of trouble.

Vaughn whiff rate on fastballs so far: 36%
Robert whiff rate on fastballs last year: 36%

Collins whiff rate on fastballs last year: 39%
League average whiff rate on fastballs: 16%

To be fair to Zack and Robert, both of them have brought their whiff rates down on fastballs to around 22% this season. SSS though. I believe Vaughn will get better, it's not easy to play a position you've never played as a rookie. But he's gotta start hitting more fastballs. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This son of a gun now has .4 fwar and a 131 wRC+.  Maybe TLR is setting him up for success.

This is amazing. Larussa mismanages the guy, doesn't give him consistent Ab's, plays nick Williams over him and despite that some people want to give him credit for Vaughns success and not the fact that Vaughn has hit and would hit if he was just given a chance too. This place is too damn funny sometimes. 

Imaging giving a young player with a polished bat who was born in rake towns success to a geezer who refused to play him over a guy who isn't even on the team anymore. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This son of a gun now has .4 fwar and a 131 wRC+.  Maybe TLR is setting him up for success.

Noice! Vaughn is never gonna cover a lot of ground out in left but he seems to read the ball off the bat well and takes good routes. Dude also has a strong arm. I was at the Rangers game over the weekend and saw him throw an absolute missile to home plate. Maybe this crazy experiment actually works out? 

• Like 1