The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

10 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Noice! Vaughn is never gonna cover a lot of ground out in left but he seems to read the ball off the bat well and takes good routes. Dude also has a strong arm. I was at the Rangers game over the weekend and saw him throw an absolute missile to home plate. Maybe this crazy experiment actually works out? 

Are you referring to the lollipop home that he probably should have thrown to the cutoff man as a missile?

He looks so much more comfortable at the plate now than the beginning of the season.  Don't get the sense he's pressing, at all.

If he keeps hitting the way he has, which I think he will, the Sox will have one helluva conundrum on their hands when Eloy is back to healthy.  4 starting caliber players to fill 3 positions, none of which you can really make a case for sitting.  

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

He looks so much more comfortable at the plate now than the beginning of the season.  Don't get the sense he's pressing, at all.

If he keeps hitting the way he has, which I think he will, the Sox will have one helluva conundrum on their hands when Eloy is back to healthy.  4 starting caliber players to fill 3 positions, none of which you can really make a case for sitting.  

This team is fucking stacked.

8 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

They're going to have to try to see if Yermin can catch or Vaughn can play RF at all.

I can't imagine the team defense of Yermin catching, Eloy LF and Vaughn RF, tho. Yikes.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Now consider if the Dylan Cease of last night is legit and we have Kopech and Crochet in the pen...

Not that I'd want to, but who would you even trade one of those 4  position players for? 

Edited by SpringfieldFan

1 hour ago, knightni said:

They're going to have to try to see if Yermin can catch or Vaughn can play RF at all.

I can't imagine the team defense of Yermin catching, Eloy LF and Vaughn RF, tho. Yikes.

Why not just keep Vaughn in LF and DH Eloy with Yermin catching. Does the defense really drop off much in that scenario? Grandal has been rough behind the plate this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Vaughn now in the top 95 percentile in exit velocity and top 88% in hard hit %. Also his defense in LF has actually been ok based on the eye test and his UZR in LF is actually positive (SSS, FWIW). 

Honestly, he has more value than Eloy now. I think his bat will be right there with Eloy when all is said and done, and he is a better defender with more versatility than Eloy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, knightni said:

I don't see Eloy playing much OF in the future. Vaughn will anchor LF and Eloy can backup 1B. Guys will take turns sitting out or somebody gets moved. 

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why not just keep Vaughn in LF and DH Eloy with Yermin catching. Does the defense really drop off much in that scenario? Grandal has been rough behind the plate this season.

There's a reason why they haven't attempted to even put him at catcher, although if I remember correctly he didn't look TERRIBLE in Spring Training, I actually thought he had a good arm. 

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Definitely have a point if they go to an automated strike zone.

However, similar to being stuck behind Parrot last season, Yermin will be in his 30s by the time Grandal drops off the books.

Can't blame Jerry, the money has unfortunately been spent.

What strikes me as remarkable is that for however long Eloy has been a Sox, we've been hearing about how hard Eloy works on his defense, how D. Boston works with him hitting him fly ball after fly ball. What is this, his 3rd year as a Sox??

Yet, Vaughn was given an outfielders glove after Eloy got hurt, what 45 days ago, and from both the eye test and now some stats, he clearly seems to be a better defensive outfielder than Jiminez. How is that possible? An Eloy is more athletic. Was all that hard work stuff with Boston just BS?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Really?  I mean, it seems true.  

Grandal would have had around 3.5 fWar in a full season in 2020.  He had a 116 wRC+ he’s not a star but he’s a solid above average regular there is no evidence Zach is better other than backup QB syndrome I guess.

16 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

What strikes me as remarkable is that for however long Eloy has been a Sox, we've been hearing about how hard Eloy works on his defense, how D. Boston works with him hitting him fly ball after fly ball. What is this, his 3rd year as a Sox??

Yet, Vaughn was given an outfielders glove after Eloy got hurt, what 45 days ago, and from both the eye test and now some stats, he clearly seems to be a better defensive outfielder than Jiminez. How is that possible? An Eloy is more athletic. Was all that hard work stuff with Boston just BS?

He passes the eye test because he has a grand total of 19 putouts and no errors. Some people's eye tests are a little more extensive than that.

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Grandal would have had around 3.5 fWar in a full season in 2020.  He had a 116 wRC+ he’s not a star but he’s a solid above average regular there is no evidence Zach is better other than backup QB syndrome I guess.

Not saying that Collins is better.  Right now he isn't, but Grandal has been just plain awful this year.  And through his age 25 season, like Collins, Grandal had been pretty bad (though he had shown signs of the player he has become).  Grandal needs to play and needs to get himself worked out, but regardless of his production, his contract will keep him in the lineup.  At least for a while.  

Edited by turnin' two
  • Thanks 1

Vaughn is OK in LF. Eventually, probably next season, he will play more 1B. I would imagine Eloy will be back in LF. Eloy was actually looking a little better defensively the last half of last year. They just have to keep him away from walls and nets.

What's really going to be nice is when Vaughn starts hitting for more power. It's coming. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He passes the eye test because he has a grand total of 19 putouts and no errors. Some people's eye tests are a little more extensive than that.

Again, a total eye test, but let's be honest. If I told you to find 19 consecutive fly ball putouts by Eloy that have looked as smooth and competent as Vaughn's 19 outs, I would bet you would have to look long and hard. Not his best 19, but 19 in-a-row. In fact, I would guess that you wouldn't be able to do it. I understand that "smooth and competent" is hard to define exactly, but still, total eye test (now with backing stats); if you're being honest, Vaughn already seems to be better in LF than Eloy. 

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Not saying that Collins is better.  Right now he isn't, but Grandal has been just plain awful this year.  And through his age 25 season, like Collins, Grandal had been pretty bad (though he had shown signs of the player he has become).  Grandal needs to play and needs to get himself worked out, but regardless of his production, his contract will keep him in the lineup.  At least for a while.  

i honestly just wouldn't have a problem putting Grandal on the IL and letting him sit for a bit. He's certainly been better than his numbers indicate and had some bad luck, but he's obviously laboring on that knee and there's no reason to have him play the entire season hurt. He's not going to get healthier by catching everyday; in fact, it'll probably get worse. Let him sit for 3+ weeks or so, heal up and come back ready to go. If they don't do that i'm worried it's something worse than they've let on and he needs surgery or something and it would keep him out a long period of time so they're pushing it off until the off-season.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run