The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

11 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Again, a total eye test, but let's be honest. If I told you to find 19 consecutive fly ball putouts by Eloy that have looked as smooth and competent as Vaughn's 19 outs, I would bet you would have to look long and hard. Not his best 19, but 19 in-a-row. In fact, I would guess that you wouldn't be able to do it. I understand that "smooth and competent" is hard to define exactly, but still, total eye test (now with backing stats); if you're being honest, Vaughn already seems to be better in LF than Eloy. 

La Russa stated Andrew Vaughn is already an above average outfielder. Not sure how he can state that and continually sit him behind the likes of negative fWAR waiver wire garbage and people who haven’t played in LF in their career, simply because La Russa deemed said veteran a “franchise type player”. Perhaps more incredible than the fact La Russa is here in the first place.

Going back to fWAR, a good portion of Eloy’s offensive excellence is negated by his OF butchery. A majority of the roster save for Lance Lynn and perhaps Yermin are better LF defensive options.

Grandal has the same fWAR as McCann (1.7 2020-2021) since he signed here, at a far greater financial cost (years and $s). He shouldn’t finish with his 0.0 April fWAR, but on the flip side he’s not going to be seeing 4-5 fWAR or 120 + game caught seasons in the decline stage of his career that they are paying him. Yet another unfortunate reach on an overpriced external FA signing in the Hahn era.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

La Russa stated Andrew Vaughn is already an above average outfielder. Not sure how he can state that and continually sit him behind the likes of negative fWAR waiver wire garbage and people who haven’t played in LF in their career, simply because La Russa deemed said veteran a “franchise type player”. Perhaps more incredible than the fact La Russa is here in the first place.

Going back to fWAR, a good portion of Eloy’s offensive excellence is negated by his OF butchery. A majority of the roster save for Lance Lynn and perhaps Yermin are better LF defensive options.

Grandal has the same fWAR as McCann (1.7 2020-2021) since he signed here, at a far greater financial cost (years and $s). He shouldn’t finish with his 0.0 April fWAR, but on the flip side he’s not going to be seeing 4-5 fWAR or 120 + game caught seasons in the decline stage of his career that they are paying him. Yet another unfortunate reach on an overpriced external FA signing in the Hahn era.

LaRussa had guys like Ralph Garr and Ron Kittle playing LF. Above average to him is a low bar.

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Hating on Yermin again? Where does he go of Eloy is DH?

I'm not hating, it's just the reality of the situation. 

Vaughn, Eloy and Abreu will all start over Yermin. 

Again, I think they should trade Yermin for a prospect. He's filled in for Eloy very nicely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not hating, it's just the reality of the situation. 

Vaughn, Eloy and Abreu will all start over Yermin. 

Again, I think they should trade Yermin for a prospect. He's filled in for Eloy very nicely. 

Would be clutch if the next CBA agreement has universal DH. That opens 15 jobs for Yermin.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re actively trying to kill off Luis Robert.

Let’s go with Buxton and Robert in the outfield with Eloy...Mercedes at DH, and Vaughn at first.

Add Tatis Jr to that lineup and it is eerily similar to one of your wet dreams

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Add Tatis Jr to that lineup and it is eerily similar to one of your wet dreams

JR thinking about a $340 salary commitment might put him directly into NW Medicine or the Cleveland Clinic.

The best you get is Elijah or Daniel Fernando at catcher, the next Omar Narvaez or TA.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Definitely more pitching.

Yeah the thing is if Cease has truly found himself where do you put a starter? 6 man rotation? If not the rotation what kind of pen help is worth AV, Eloy or Mercedes, etc? Or is the point to trade one of these guys for prospects?

Edited by SpringfieldFan

3 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Yeah the thing is if Cease has truly found himself where do you put a starter? 6 man rotation? If not the rotation what kind of pen help is worth AV, Eloy or Mercedes, etc? Or is the point to trade one of these guys for prospects?

You need depth. It will be a miracle if all five guys stay healthy and effective all year -- it just doesn't ever happen in today's game. It's more likely that two or three will go down than none -- and right now you're looking at Reynaldo and Stiever as the next men up. Realistically it's probably Kopech for a couple weeks the first time it happens, but he's gonna run into an innings limit and disappear a la Strasburg if he has to cover for more than one guy.

Good teams (Dodgers, Rays) have figured out how to juggle it, whether it's alternating spot starts for veterans at the back end or younger guys sitting in AAA until the call comes. If you're trading prospects with real value, I guess the ideal target is an MLB-ready but not polished guy in the mold of, say, Luis Patino or Brusdar Graterol, who has the stuff to be a late inning reliever if that's what is needed, but you want to develop as a starter long-term. Basically, a couple more Garrett Crochets.

Also Rodon and Lynn are FAs at the end of the year, and it's still Lopez/Stiever up to replace them.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If Vaughn finds his groove and keeps up the solid defense in left...and Mercedes is the actual stud muffin that he appears to be...what the hell are they going to do when Eloy gets back?

Teach Eloy 1B and groom him to take over for Abreu eventually?  Well managed teams find ways to work all of their good players in, which is still up for debate with this org.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Teach Eloy 1B and groom him to take over for Abreu eventually?  Well managed teams find ways to work all of their good players in, which is still up for debate with this org.

I feel like he’d be even worse as a first baseman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

The roster is just not very balanced. 

This team basically has 4 first basemen/DHs in Vaughn, Abreu, yermin, lamb and eventually I think two of them have to go (lamb of course but also one of the other 3).

I mean yes, you can always make room for a good hitter but you can also trade a hitter for a guy who can actually play that position. 

I think the best thing is to build up yermin's value so that you get something substantial for him. 

Long term playing several guys out of position is, not going to go well (and that includes Vaughn, I don't care how well he did, a 26 ft/s sprint speed does not play long term in left field) 

Edited by Dominikk85

3 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I feel like he’d be even worse as a first baseman.

Chasing foul balls towards the dugout might be just as perilous as the LF corner.  I honestly don't know what else to do with him other than DH or maybe 1B.

Eloy will return to his position on the roster and in the outfield as soon as he has rehabbed.

Feigned concern that he might get injured again doesn't matter, even though it  has become a thing here.