The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

I still hate the idea of trading Yermin so Eloy can be DH. We all know how great Eloy's potential is. However, Yermin has been nothing short of spectacular. It doesn't look like a fluke, either. He has huge power, works the count, takes walks, quick bat, and has an awesome approach. He'll shorten his swing with 2 strikes - depending on the pitcher out there. He can still mash homeruns with his shortened stroke, too. Many baseball professionals think he is the real deal after what they have seen. 

Furthermore, DHs don't have that much value. A DH like Yermin with 1 year of experience definitely won't have much value. Abreu has 1 year left on his deal. The Sox should start with Eloy-Robert-Vaughn in the OF. If it is that much of a detriment to the team, you trade somebody early in the season. See if they can handle it for a year, then move Eloy or Vaughn to 1st/DH the next year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I still hate the idea of trading Yermin so Eloy can be DH. We all know how great Eloy's potential is. However, Yermin has been nothing short of spectacular. It doesn't look like a fluke, either. He has huge power, works the count, takes walks, quick bat, and has an awesome approach. He'll shorten his swing with 2 strikes - depending on the pitcher out there. He can still mash homeruns with his shortened stroke, too. Many baseball professionals think he is the real deal after what they have seen. 

And as true as all of that may be, Eloy is still a 24 year old coming off a Silver Slugger with even more untapped potential and an arguably higher floor, too

38 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Furthermore, DHs don't have that much value. A DH like Yermin with 1 year of experience definitely won't have much value. Abreu has 1 year left on his deal. The Sox should start with Eloy-Robert-Vaughn in the OF. If it is that much of a detriment to the team, you trade somebody early in the season. See if they can handle it for a year, then move Eloy or Vaughn to 1st/DH the next year. 

I get the argument for sure, but Yermin is the clear #4 between those guys and is the obvious odd man out.  Doesn't mean you need to trade him, but you definitely aren't trading Eloy or Vaughn to make room for a 28 year old rookie.  

Now, this is a good problem to have (if it even presents itself).  You aren't sitting Eloy next season for Yermin to get at bats, but you can keep him around and chances are decent that you can still make a role for Yermin and he'll be needed for stretches when people get hurt.  Which is probably going to happen a decent amount if you're running out an Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF.  

That all being said - let's see what Yermin's season looks like come August/September.  He's been remarkable through 94 PA, but chances are we still see a pretty real correction.  

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

And as true as all of that may be, Eloy is still a 24 year old coming off a Silver Slugger with even more untapped potential and an arguably higher floor, too

Then the untapped potential is almost all coming on the offensive end, and power is going to the area most affected by his particular injury, at least in the early stages (this year) of his return.  Hopefully back to 100% in 2022.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:58 PM, ChiSox59 said:

I get the argument for sure, but Yermin is the clear #4 between those guys and is the obvious odd man out.  Doesn't mean you need to trade him, but you definitely aren't trading Eloy or Vaughn to make room for a 28 year old rookie.  

Now, this is a good problem to have (if it even presents itself).  You aren't sitting Eloy next season for Yermin to get at bats, but you can keep him around and chances are decent that you can still make a role for Yermin and he'll be needed for stretches when people get hurt.  Which is probably going to happen a decent amount if you're running out an Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF.  

That all being said - let's see what Yermin's season looks like come August/September.  He's been remarkable through 94 PA, but chances are we still see a pretty real correction.  

I don't think you trade or get rid of any of them. Yeah, when Eloy comes back Mercedes is going to lose at bat's. But you keep him here for depth. Think we've been taught the importance of depth right now, with Eloy and Robert out and we end up having to give Billy Hamilton a start because someone needs a day off, when Hamilton not only is a poor hitter, he flat out looks like he's completely INCAPABLE of getting a hit off major league pitching. I know you can only have so many DH's/1st baseman/outfielder types on your roster. But you find a roster spot. Why not send a pitcher down? Our pitching is good enough we don't need 13 pitchers. We don't need a Stiever or a McRae taking up a roster spot. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, caulfield12 said:

Then the untapped potential is almost all coming on the offensive end, and power is going to the area most affected by his particular injury, at least in the early stages (this year) of his return.  Hopefully back to 100% in 2022.

His power will not be affected by the injury.  It's his left pec which isn't the power for the for a right handed swing.

• Like 2

Ptatc:   After reading your last post I am at home taking air swings right handed trying  to understand how the pecs are involved in the swing.   I am feeling better about Eloy coming back closer to 100% after reading what you said.  I have not heard anything about how he is doing post-operation, but am anxious to hear any updates about his prognosis.  I would really like to see Eloy and Robert come back  this season, especially if we are in a play-off race.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Ptatc:   After reading your last post I am at home taking air swings right handed trying  to understand how the pecs are involved in the swing.   I am feeling better about Eloy coming back closer to 100% after reading what you said.  I have not heard anything about how he is doing post-operation, but am anxious to hear any updates about his prognosis.  I would really like to see Eloy and Robert come back  this season, especially if we are in a play-off race.

Eloy-Robert-Vaughn giga chad, lefty slayer OF confirmed.

18 minutes ago, tray said:

I don't any reason why Jimenez won't back perfectly healthy. Once the muscle is re-attached there shouldn't be an issue.

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

His power will not be affected by the injury.  It's his left pec which isn't the power for the for a right handed swing.

But/so wouldn’t that equally be true for the destabilized situation with Tatis’ left, non-throwing shoulder, where it keeps popping out of joint...especially hampering the extension or follow-through?   

Just curious.   

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But/so wouldn’t that equally be true for the destabilized situation with Tatis’ left, non-throwing shoulder, where it keeps popping out of joint...especially hampering the extension or follow-through?   

Just curious.   

You’ve sure found a way to make me hate Tatis more than just for being traded by the Sox

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

You’ve sure found a way to make me hate Tatis more than just for being traded by the Sox

Glad to be of service.  

The Dodgers, Padres and Tatis all pretty much suck now...except for LA offense last night (even then, the Angels almost came back and made a game of it.)

That said, no way Gausman, Desclafini and Co. keep pitching like they are in the White Sox rotation.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Glad to be of service.  

The Dodgers, Padres and Tatis all pretty much suck now...except for LA offense last night (even then, the Angels almost came back and made a game of it.)

That said, no way Gausman, Desclafini and Co. keep pitching like they are in the White Sox rotation.

Didn't Tatis Jr switch from the 1 handed swing "ending" to a 2 handed swing since his shoulder injury? He's had a couple monster games since then, but I wonder if that is why he is struggling so badly. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Didn't Tatis Jr switch from the 1 handed swing "ending" to a 2 handed swing since his shoulder injury? He's had a couple monster games since then, but I wonder if that is why he is struggling so badly. 

Yes.  Just not sure if he has maintained that in his recent slump.  On the other hand, defense has stabilized.  In prior years, he seemingly tortured everyone but the Dodgers.  Now it’s like they can’t get motivated to play the rest of their games...

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes.  Just not sure if he has maintained that in his recent slump.  On the other hand, defense has stabilized.  In prior years, he seemingly tortured everyone but the Dodgers.  Now it’s like they can’t get motivated to play the rest of their games...

He had a 2 homer game right after doing that. The Big Hurt said switching from a 1 handed to 2 handed swing is a big deal, so maybe it is hurting him.

The pettiness in me wants Tatis to fail so I feel less bad about the trade. He's already got his money, so I feel less bad rooting against him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

FWIW ... Vaughn has surpassed all my defensive expectations.  He has made the Eloy injury bearable.

As long as he hits at least 15-18 homers.

We can't get less than 25-30 homers out of the outfield over the course of the entire season.

Someone mentioned Naquin...after his hot start, he's come back down to earth, not really sure how much of an improvement he'd be other than his familiarity with AL Central teams/pitchers/parks.

Maybe we could steal or borrow all of his "Francona notes" lol.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

They stuck Vaughn in RF for two innings yesterday. The product of a 16-4 laugher, or a showing of the hand that he may eventually be used there in the future?   Half joking, but that very well may be his spot in 2022.  

Edited by ChiSox59

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They stuck Vaughn in RF for two innings yesterday. The product of a 16-4 laugher, or a showing of the hand that he may eventually be used there in the future?   Half joking, but that very well may be his spot in 2022.  

I think with the holding pattern with Abreu (rightfully so), thats the play going into '22 and possibly October if Eaton can't stay healthy/productive.

Anderson - SS
Robert - CF
Moncada# - 3B
Abreu - 1B
Jimenez - LF
Mercedes - DH
Vaughn - RF
Grandal# - C
Madrigal - 2B

Eventually moving Eloy or Mercedes to 1B when Abreu hangs it up.

Bench looking like
Collins* - C/1B/DH
Mendick - UT
UT - Possibly bring Garcia# back or Brad Miller*
OF - Engel

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beautox said:

I think with the holding pattern with Abreu (rightfully so), thats the play going into '22 and possibly October if Eaton can't stay healthy/productive.

Anderson - SS
Robert - CF
Moncada# - 3B
Abreu - 1B
Jimenez - LF
Mercedes - DH
Vaughn - RF
Grandal# - C
Madrigal - 2B

Eventually moving Eloy or Mercedes to 1B when Abreu hangs it up.

Bench looking like
Collins* - C/1B/DH
Mendick - UT
UT - Possibly bring Garcia# back or Brad Miller*
OF - Engel

It's a damn good lineup.  I definitely have my concerns about an Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF defensively, but offensively its masher's row.  

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It's a damn good lineup.  I definitely have my concerns about an Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF defensively, but offensively its masher's row.  

Agreed but so far Vaughn has adjudicated himself so when Eloy & Robert get back, Robert should be able to shade left center. Eloy being replaced with a defensive player after the 7th wouldn't be something new either(Engel, Garcia or Mendick).