The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

Getting to the point where I wouldn't mind him getting some time in triple-A.

Also, with Sheets getting only time in RF (along with 1B) in the minors, does anyone think there is traction of a potential call up with Eaton moving to LF (he's out there today) and having Sheets in RF?

Edited by manbearpuig

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Getting to the point where I wouldn't mind him getting some time in triple-A.

Also, with Sheets getting only time in RF (along with 1B) in the minors, does anyone think there is traction of a potential call up with Eaton moving to LF (he's out there today) and having Sheets in RF?

At this point, may as well try it. He’ll be back. I’m in full support of finding a way to get him off mlb roster for 3 weeks at some point. He’s not hitting at all right now, so seems like a good time. 

• Like 2

Jimenez is not coming back until maybe the playoff's if at all. The Sox are not going to call up anyone else until maybe after the all star break if not until September. Vaughn has proven he is a semi decent left fielder and deserves to play everyday. He has demonstrated he can handle the position so far. Engle is coming back soon which means either Lamb or Hamilton will have to go. He has also shown that he is the 1st Basemen of the future. Adam Eaton is not consistent enough and Vaughn even played right field and not embarrassed anybody yet. I think (tongue in cheek) that Vaughn is better defensively than Jimenez. Jimenez is the DH of the future. Yermin is fun to watch and is a big part of the success they've had. I hope not, but the leagues pitching may catch up to Yermin and he'll be normalized. Don't get me wrong, he's fun to watch, very instinctive hitter for now and deserves a roster spot and continue to be the DH until further notice. I'm afraid as in the past with Yermin type one dimensional players, they eventually flame out. Abreu has 1 maybe 2 years left and then gets a nice job with the Sox after his playing days, and he is playing GOLD GLOVE quality defense this year. He will heat up at the plate and the the weather heats up. Vaughn, Burger, Nicky 2 Strikes, Robert, Kopech, Crotchet Huer, Gio and Jimenez are the immediate future as is Rodon, he's back!!! Engle is better than Eaton and could spell Vaughn defensively if TLR gets nervous as could Eaton. Today's Pinch Hit Home Run should show you the worth of playing Vaughn EVERYDAY. He will only get better and they can afford to carry him as he learns the pitchers HE NEEDS TO PLAY!!! 

50 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Jimenez is not coming back until maybe the playoff's if at all. The Sox are not going to call up anyone else until maybe after the all star break if not until September. Vaughn has proven he is a semi decent left fielder and deserves to play everyday. He has demonstrated he can handle the position so far. Engle is coming back soon which means either Lamb or Hamilton will have to go. He has also shown that he is the 1st Basemen of the future. Adam Eaton is not consistent enough and Vaughn even played right field and not embarrassed anybody yet. I think (tongue in cheek) that Vaughn is better defensively than Jimenez. Jimenez is the DH of the future. Yermin is fun to watch and is a big part of the success they've had. I hope not, but the leagues pitching may catch up to Yermin and he'll be normalized. Don't get me wrong, he's fun to watch, very instinctive hitter for now and deserves a roster spot and continue to be the DH until further notice. I'm afraid as in the past with Yermin type one dimensional players, they eventually flame out. Abreu has 1 maybe 2 years left and then gets a nice job with the Sox after his playing days, and he is playing GOLD GLOVE quality defense this year. He will heat up at the plate and the the weather heats up. Vaughn, Burger, Nicky 2 Strikes, Robert, Kopech, Crotchet Huer, Gio and Jimenez are the immediate future as is Rodon, he's back!!! Engle is better than Eaton and could spell Vaughn defensively if TLR gets nervous as could Eaton. Today's Pinch Hit Home Run should show you the worth of playing Vaughn EVERYDAY. He will only get better and they can afford to carry him as he learns the pitchers HE NEEDS TO PLAY!!! 

Since when? 

53 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Absolutely nobody, not even his own doctors and Sox team doctors...could make that kind of determination on May 23rd.

Also no reason to have any certainty that Engel's suddenly going to set the world on fire coming off a major injury to his top tool (speed/defense/baserunning) and put up higher than a 675 OPS.

Especially when those numbers in 2020 were padded by the Detroit and KCR pitching staffs.

Edited by caulfield12

it looks like I'm right about Vaughn. He should be in the lineup everyday. the last 2 games should tell everyone that. he's already better defensively than Jimenez LOL. He has proven that he is an athlete that will only get better with time. The Sox will have a huge decision to make if Vaughn keeps getting better both Offensively and Defensively. 

What to do if the Yerminator  keeps hitting and Vaughn really gets going offensively?? What do you do with Jimenez when he returns?? Sit Vaughn and return Jimenez to Left Field, Keep the Yerminator at DH if he's still hitting 300? 

Vaughn has earned his spot. I'm a big Yerminator fan but it seems his power is declining slightly. He's still a tough out and gets the bat on the ball and still makes teams worry. 

Jimenez is another injury waiting to happen. I love the guy and think that he is a 40 HR 120 RBI guy if he stays healthy. 

Is Yermin  your DH of the Future or is Jimenez? My vote is Jimenez. 

This is a great position for the Sox to be so wealthy and deep. 

It will be interesting what TLR does after Eloy's rehab in the minors. He has to play, but so does Vaughn. 

I'll be interested to see who's still looking at this thread and responding. 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

27 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

it looks like I'm right about Vaughn. He should be in the lineup everyday. the last 2 games should tell everyone that. he's already better defensively than Jimenez LOL. He has proven that he is an athlete that will only get better with time. The Sox will have a huge decision to make if Vaughn keeps getting better both Offensively and Defensively. 

What to do if the Yerminator  keeps hitting and Vaughn really gets going offensively?? What do you do with Jimenez when he returns?? Sit Vaughn and return Jimenez to Left Field, Keep the Yerminator at DH if he's still hitting 300? 

Vaughn has earned his spot. I'm a big Yerminator fan but it seems his power is declining slightly. He's still a tough out and gets the bat on the ball and still makes teams worry. 

Jimenez is another injury waiting to happen. I love the guy and think that he is a 40 HR 120 RBI guy if he stays healthy. 

Is Yermin  your DH of the Future or is Jimenez? My vote is Jimenez. 

This is a great position for the Sox to be so wealthy and deep. 

It will be interesting what TLR does after Eloy's rehab in the minors. He has to play, but so does Vaughn. 

I'll be interested to see who's still looking at this thread and responding. 

I have a feeling Eloy will get his job back. The unwritten rules! But having competition will be good for him. Hopefully he is motivated to lose some weight. Not that he’s fat or anything. But he can be 10 lbs lighter

Edited by Chick Mercedes

13 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I have a feeling Eloy will get his job back. The unwritten rules! But having competition will be good for him. Hopefully he is motivated to lose some weight. Not that he’s fat or anything. But he can be 10 lbs lighter

Honestly,  I think after what we have seen,  Vaughn ends up if RF while Abreu is still here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly,  I think after what we have seen,  Vaughn ends up if RF while Abreu is still here.

Robert is rangy, but that outfield seems like a tall order even for him to make it work. Cespedes speed and defense should be good enough to get that job imo. The team to build is not based on all pitching and slugging. To go all the way, pitching and defense still have to be present, and pitching needs defense to be effective. Where does that leave Vaughn? I don’t know, the answer may unfold as the team swallows hard and makes some ultimate decisions on which direction to take this. I still think Eloy will be in the outfield for a couple years.  Eloy Robert and Cespedes . Vaighn could move around a lot. He seems like he could become one of those utility  guys Like Kris Bryant.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

There's no perfect solution, obviously, but thinking about moving Vaughn to RF in September just before the playoffs makes me cringe. 

I keep thinking of Nelson Cruz and the route he took in RF during the David Freese Game in the 2011 World Series that cost Texas the championship.

Obviously, in this last scenario Vaughn would've been benched for a defensive sub late in the game, but stands as an example of the defense vs. offense argument when it comes to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

There's no perfect solution, obviously, but thinking about moving Vaughn to RF in September just before the playoffs makes me cringe. 

I keep thinking of Nelson Cruz and the route he took in RF during the David Freese Game in the 2011 World Series that cost Texas the championship.

Obviously, in this last scenario Vaughn would've been benched for a defensive sub late in the game, but stands as an example of the defense vs. offense argument when it comes to the playoffs.

Yeah I'd think you'd have to get him 2 ABs, hope there is a big enough lead and pull him for defense.

Vaughn is 25th out of 37 outfielders in left field for OAA (which I think is a win) at -2.

Tied with him are Justin Upton, David Dahl and Tommy Pham.

Worse than him: Joc Pederson, Andrew McCutcheon, Kyle Schwarber, Clint Frazier

If prior to this experiment, you'd say after two months he'd be better defensively than the players mentioned above I think we'd all take that as a huge win.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Those opponents better get their drives down the line in early because once the seventh inning hits, either Vaughn or Eloy gets replaced with a gold glove level of defense in Engel.

23 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I just don't like Eloy and Vaughn in the same outfield. Maybe in a game in an NL park where you lose Yermin's bat, but otherwise the lineup should be plenty strong without having to put both in the OF. Also, an Adam platoon in RF is not at all bad offensively and gives you much better defense.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

Vaughn is 25th out of 37 outfielders in left field for OAA (which I think is a win) at -2.

Tied with him are Justin Upton, David Dahl and Tommy Pham.

Worse than him: Joc Pederson, Andrew McCutcheon, Kyle Schwarber, Clint Frazier

If prior to this experiment, you'd say after two months he'd be better defensively than the players mentioned above I think we'd all take that as a huge win.

I am thrilled with the progress that Andrew has made this year.  I was hoping he could give us an Eloy level of LF after literally having never played the OF before.  It isn't hard to squint and see him being able to give you an average corner OF defense with a little more experience.  That is a HUGE win, and it may also solve the whole 1B/DH jam by not having to force Vaughn into one of those spots.

• Like 1