The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

hi8is

30 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

So when Hamilton comes back, is Vaughn being optioned the likely move? Assuming they want to have as much depth as possible so they don't DFA anyone and to give him every day at bats. Same idea as when people were saying Mendick would get optioned. 

I don't see Vaughn going anywhere.  He's hitting fairly well at the MLB level, and this is the best way for him to learn.  Eaton to the IL and/or DFA'd would be more palatable, for me anyway.

47 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

So when Hamilton comes back, is Vaughn being optioned the likely move? Assuming they want to have as much depth as possible so they don't DFA anyone and to give him every day at bats. Same idea as when people were saying Mendick would get optioned. 

If they're not willing to part with Goodwin or Lamb because they can't be sent down, and Eaton doesn't go on the IL, then Mercedes should be sent down before Vaughn.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If they're not willing to part with Goodwin or Lamb because they can't be sent down, and Eaton doesn't go on the IL, then Mercedes should be sent down before Vaughn.

Also ok with me. But he better be in the lineup every day. None of this platoon stuff as a poster or two have suggested. 

2 hours ago, wegner said:

I have a suspicion that Eaton might be seeing some DL time so that might be the play when Billy is back.  If that comes true, I might start my own Twitter handle...any suggestions for the name to tweet under?

WeinerCircleShakes

3 hours ago, wegner said:

I have a suspicion that Eaton might be seeing some DL time so that might be the play when Billy is back.  If that comes true, I might start my own Twitter handle...any suggestions for the name to tweet under?

RiccobenisBreadedSteak or JohnnieOsMotherInLaw (RIP), or something locals would know 😆.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I don't see Vaughn going anywhere.  He's hitting fairly well at the MLB level, and this is the best way for him to learn.  Eaton to the IL and/or DFA'd would be more palatable, for me anyway.

Hard to say how it shakes out. Vaughn is a very valuable piece against LHP. Engel is likely to stay so that leaves Hamilton , Goodwin, Lamb , Eaton, Mercedes. It's up to all of them to see who stays and who goes . 2 months left to see who seizes the opportunity. Shouldn't rush to judgment on any of them. Injuries as usual will play a role.

If you are just talking about when Hamilton gets back that's a tough one. It just might be Yermin but that would leave a lot of OFers on the roster so yea IL Eaton. but that's only a temporary fix. Or I hate to say it jettison Lamb or see if you can make a trade early enough where it's not an issue.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Vaughn is valuable against lhp but do you want to make your top prospect a short side platoon guy (twice a week plus some pinch hits)? or let him figure out hitting righties every day in the minors?

If everyone was healthy maybe you send him down but at this point they just need healthy bodies. Plus….I’ve read a few different pieces that talk about the gap between AAA and MLB has never been bigger in terms of talent/play so you could make the argument AAA doesn’t help his development all that much

Jose owns first base for as long as he wants it, so I guess that leaves Eloy and Vaughn in LF. Maybe those two trade off between LF and DH. If both are healthy I'd guess Mercedes is a PH type who plays 1B once a week to rest Jose. I doubt they trade Vaughn to open up DH for Mercedes. 

I guess if Eloy works on his defense and proves he can play LF and stay healthy you maybe trade Vaughn and Madrigal in a blockbuster.

Edited by greg775

40 minutes ago, Tony said:

If everyone was healthy maybe you send him down but at this point they just need healthy bodies. Plus….I’ve read a few different pieces that talk about the gap between AAA and MLB has never been bigger in terms of talent/play so you could make the argument AAA doesn’t help his development all that much

I've been a proponent of this for years AAA is good for development up to a point. There comes a point where they need to learn to perform against MLB caliber players.  It is a gap.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I've been a proponent of this for years AAA is good for development up to a point. There comes a point where they need to learn to perform against MLB caliber players.  It is a gap.

Totally agree, ptatc. Every case is different, but given what Vaughn has shown (and what he hasn't) at this point....I don't know how much AAA really does for him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Totally agree, ptatc. Every case is different, but given what Vaughn has shown (and what he hasn't) at this point....I don't know how much AAA really does for him. 

And who is a better near everyday option at this point?

Vaughn is behind where Eloy and Luis were at the same age against RHP, but so is just about every other 23 year old in MLB. Andrew is far ahead of Eloy defensively, despite zero experience until after the calendar switched to Spring, and is a solid asset.

Engel needs to cover CF until Robert returns, and they are patching the RF hole with Goodwin, Lamb and Eaton, with Garcia covering a slot nearly every day.

10 hours ago, Tony said:

I think it would be a confidence thing as he could go to AAA and mash and feel better about himself........this is something I do not think Vaughn needs as he seems to be pretty well grounded.

Yermin could go for a stint in AAA as I think he could use some helium to the ego to get back to what he was doing.

22 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think it would be a confidence thing as he could go to AAA and mash and feel better about himself........this is something I do not think Vaughn needs as he seems to be pretty well grounded.

Yermin could go for a stint in AAA as I think he could use some helium to the ego to get back to what he was doing.

Yermin would have to clear waivers to get to AAA. 

14 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yep . If he can't hit in AAA maybe he would realize something is off because he destroyed AAA pitching as well as Robert did. Even a little bit better.

Maybe Mercedes was good buddies with Robert . He hasn't done well since Robert got injured May 3rd.

14 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yep....seems about time and maybe he can get some confidence back.  Bring up Sheets and see what he can do.  

On 6/16/2021 at 8:37 PM, Dominikk85 said:

Vaughn is valuable against lhp but do you want to make your top prospect a short side platoon guy (twice a week plus some pinch hits)? or let him figure out hitting righties every day in the minors?

IMO once he was brought up the decision is to play him every day.  He is actually a pleasant surprise in his ability to play a passable outfield.

• 2 weeks later...

The Andrew Vaughn 3B experiment.  The yackety sax was probably on him.  There's no reason to cut this ball off where he was, lol.  Him and Donaldson both had moronic plays on balls into RF today.  Vaughn was way too deep; Donaldson was just in no man's land as a fielder.

lolvaughn.jpg

But nobody is asking him to play 3B as anything but an emergency guy.  That he even can in a pinch is kudos to him.  More importantly he's starting to make the adjustments to the adjustments as a hitter.  Keep it up dude, in this crazy season he's held his own and because of injuries to other areas on the field, had to deal with quite a bit more than just your average rookie.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

On 6/16/2021 at 6:46 AM, hogan873 said:

I’d leave him in left. He can clearly play there. If Eloy can’t do it, develop Sheets to take over at first base in a couple years. Sheets with an ideal big lefty physical profile makes me feel way better than Vaughn at first. Getting ahead of myself with another hypothetical, but hopefully Sheets sticks and stays in the firstbase pipeline.