Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hi8is

The Andrew Vaughn LF Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

You don't trade a guy with his kind of bat... he's been absurd so far and has showed no signs of slowing down. 

You have to trade quality to get quality. If they have a glaring need, someone will need to go. It looks like it will be between Vaughn and Mercedes. Currently, Vaughn has better positional versatility and is younger. We'll see how they hit all year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You don't trade a guy with his kind of bat... he's been absurd so far and has showed no signs of slowing down. 

You do when Eloy is back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Fair. but I think the controllable service time would really make him attractive to the Marlins/Pirates/Rockies. 

Is he? Those teams are not good the next 2-3 years so getting a soon 28 yo wouldn't help them so much as he will be like 31+ when they are good again. 

Yermin is attractive for a contender with a hole in their line up who need a DH the next 2-3 years. 

Obviously the Pirates or Rockies could get him as a trade chip in case he proves to be the next Nelson Cruz but I would guess they would prefer 20-23yo prospects who can actually help their big league club in 3 years or so when their tank job is over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ptatc said:

This should not enter their thought process. Any decision about Jimenez in the field should purely based on what's best for the team.

Why shouldn't it be part of the thought process.  Eloy has shown that he plays the position in a way that makes him vulnerable to injury.  Putting him out there isn't best for the team.  The PR nightmare wouldn't come from the injury, but that the Sox brass should have known better at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 9:40 AM, ShoeLessRob said:

I feel like he’d be even worse as a first baseman.

People get worried about collisions in the OF. Every ground ball would be an opportunity for a collision with Eloy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO, Eloy should only be considered as DH. The notion he can play 1B significantly underestimates the importance a strong glove plays in saving throwing errors and overestimates Eloys athleticism. I could see a spot start in LF (or even RF) but the idea is to hide him on defense, not put him in a position where he get 2nd most touches a game after catcher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have 6 combinations that make sense. Just decide how much you want each guy on the bench and go from there.

LF Eloy, 1B Abreu, DH Vaughn

LF Eloy, 1B Abreu, DH Mercedes

LF Eloy, 1B Vaughn, DH Mercedes

LF Eloy, 1B Vaughn, DH Abreu

LF Vaughn, 1B Abreu, DH Eloy

LF Vaughn, 1B Abreu, DH Mercedes

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Why shouldn't it be part of the thought process.  Eloy has shown that he plays the position in a way that makes him vulnerable to injury.  Putting him out there isn't best for the team.  The PR nightmare wouldn't come from the injury, but that the Sox brass should have known better at this point. 

PR and fans views are not always in line what is best for the team as a whole and shouldn't be considered when deciding what will help the team win. If the team is going to be better with him in LF, then that's where he should be.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

You have 6 combinations that make sense. Just decide how much you want each guy on the bench and go from there.

LF Eloy, 1B Abreu, DH Vaughn

LF Eloy, 1B Abreu, DH Mercedes

LF Eloy, 1B Vaughn, DH Mercedes

LF Eloy, 1B Vaughn, DH Abreu

LF Vaughn, 1B Abreu, DH Eloy

LF Vaughn, 1B Abreu, DH Mercedes

LF Vaughn, 1B Abreu, DH Eloy, C Mercedes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There's no need to overthink this. 

LF Eloy, CF Robert, RF Vaughn, DH Yermin

That offense absolutely spanks. 

Edited by ron883
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

nvm wrong thread

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 7:13 AM, Soxsi75 said:

A key question is going to have be this. Can he make EVERY play that any normal left fielder can make? If he can't, then this is a ridiculous experiment. Because this isn't a developmental league. After years of rebuilding it's time to win now. Anything short of a playoff spot will still be a failed season. The previous poster had it right. This is too much to ask of a 22 year old kid to not only have to adjust to major league pitching but also to learn an entirely new position. 

 

 

So far the experiment seems to be working, so I wish you and all the other Vaughn cynics would quit being so negative on him and quit assuming the worse that Vaughn is going to be a bust, or isn't ready for the major league level. His BA is .273 and OBP .359 which is tied with Robert (out) and second only to Madrigal .366, Moncada .375 and Mercedes .430. Plus he has ZERO errors. The fact is most left fielders do not have great arms...hence why they play left. Or perhaps would you prefer to put Garcia in LF at .203 or better yet, Lamb at .143?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Eloy has been injured a half dozen other times before 2021 Spring Training.

The primary concern/detriment for moving him from LF to DH, offset by the improvement for both potential for avoiding injuries and significant defensive upgrade no matter who takes his place, is whether it will impact his hitting. Many players have issues successfully transitioning to a DH role.

The Sox can live in 2022 with the extra depth at 1B/DH. Would work Mercedes both at catcher and first base after adequate preparation (I.e. not what Tony did that one game), would definitely help both him and the team if he had flexibility. If MLB goes to automated strikes, he would be a lot more viable behind the plate, has a solid arm.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ron883 said:

There's no need to overthink this. 

LF Eloy, CF Robert, RF Vaughn, DH Yermin

That offense absolutely spanks. 

Probably would be the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ptatc said:

You have to trade quality to get quality. If they have a glaring need, someone will need to go. It looks like it will be between Vaughn and Mercedes. Currently, Vaughn has better positional versatility and is younger. We'll see how they hit all year.

Trade Eloy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Vaughn can't play first base anymore or something?

He can and should occasionally to give Abreu a occasional day off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ron883 said:

There's no need to overthink this. 

LF Eloy, CF Robert, RF Vaughn, DH Yermin

That offense absolutely spanks. 

I totally agree on this lineup. Keep in mind once a healthy Robert is back, he can make up for Vaughn and Eloy because Robert probably covers more ground in the OF than most other CF's in baseball. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You do when Eloy is back.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ejm3 said:

So far the experiment seems to be working, so I wish you and all the other Vaughn cynics would quit being so negative on him and quit assuming the worse that Vaughn is going to be a bust, or isn't ready for the major league level. His BA is .273 and OBP .359 which is tied with Robert (out) and second only to Madrigal .366, Moncada .375 and Mercedes .430. Plus he has ZERO errors. The fact is most left fielders do not have great arms...hence why they play left. Or perhaps would you prefer to put Garcia in LF at .203 or better yet, Lamb at .143?

I agree it does seem to be working. But I hope you aren't really trying to throw something in my face here.......because if you are, review what I first said. A key question is this.  Can he make EVERY play a normal left fielder will make. So far he has and I imagine he will continue to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ejm3 said:

So far the experiment seems to be working, so I wish you and all the other Vaughn cynics would quit being so negative on him and quit assuming the worse that Vaughn is going to be a bust, or isn't ready for the major league level. His BA is .273 and OBP .359 which is tied with Robert (out) and second only to Madrigal .366, Moncada .375 and Mercedes .430. Plus he has ZERO errors. The fact is most left fielders do not have great arms...hence why they play left. Or perhaps would you prefer to put Garcia in LF at .203 or better yet, Lamb at .143?

I agree.  Put Vaughn in left field and forget about it.  By the end of the year, he will be raking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I agree.  Put Vaughn in left field and forget about it.  By the end of the year, he will be raking.

I think you need to give more frequent days off so he fresh at the end of the year. Many rookies fade at the end of the year just from the mental fatigue of a season longer than they are used to.

edit: I mean more frequently than the veterans, not more frequently than he is already getting.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ptatc said:

I think you need to give more frequent days off so he fresh at the end of the year. Many rookies fade at the end of the year just from the mental fatigue of a season longer than they are used to.

edit: I mean more frequently than the veterans, not more frequently than he is already getting.

On another subject...can you shed any light on the Engel injury?  What do you think is going on with him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poppysox said:

On another subject...can you shed any light on the Engel injury?  What do you think is going on with him?

It's puzzling.  Not so much the injury as hamstrings strains can take awhile to come back from but the constant reports of set backs. The medical group is too good to keep allowing this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's puzzling.  Not so much the injury as hamstrings strains can take awhile to come back from but the constant reports of set backs. The medical group is too good to keep allowing this. 

I had a bad hamstring that felt like I was shot in the leg.  Turned black and lasted for months.  However, my progress was steady and without setbacks.  A professional athlete with top-notch trainers...I expected him back a month ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×