White Sox are still a World Series Contender

vilehoopster

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Vegas sets their number so that they win either way. Vegas's number is about making money, not about the most likely scenario. 

So bet the under then...Vegas is it 89-91. You have them at 84. Seems like a pretty easy win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

So bet the under then...Vegas is it 89-91. You have them at 84. Seems like a pretty easy win.

I actually don't. I have them at 86 but I think their floor is about 83-84. Their ceiling is way higher. I just tend to go closer to floor than ceiling.

My opinion is that it takes more talent to win 90 games than it used to. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 3/27/2021 at 3:41 PM, vilehoopster said:

For all you guys using Eloy's injury to justify all the complaints you been making all spring is just total BS: 

The owner is too cheap; Hahn's an idiot; LaRussa's too old and a idiot for playing Vaughn in LF  or for other reasons. . .  or

Why didn't we get more depth, especially at starting pitching . . . or

Why is our drafting (or if you please, spending money on Latin players) and minor league development so terrible?

The bottom line is the White Sox are World Series contenders, without Eloy or if he returns, the Sox are still World Series contenders; and I said this before, that's all you can realistically and reasonably ask of ownership and management. 

First of all, can we quit calling Eloy an idiot and implying he should be fined for trying to make that catch? Every ballplayer in that situation is gonna try to make that catch; that's the kind of catch that gets you on the Sports Center highlights for that night. Of course he's gonna go after it; anyone would. A player in the minors or majors; any high school or college player; hell, I'm in my 60's and in my softball league, I'd have gone after it. He was at the fence, had his right hand on the fence and had it measured. He's gonna go after it. I have no idea how he got hurt. I guess he is just made of glass, but it's absolutely crazy to tell him he can't play left field or any where because he might get hurt. He's been hurt running the bases; he's been hurting celebrating, he could choke tonight eating chicken. Should he never run the bases, or celebrate, or eat chicken. You guys are letting your disappointment get the better of you and attacking a player who was doing his best to try to improve and win. You can't play sports worrying about getting hurt. It's a sports cliche, but it is a cliche because it's true: The fastest way to get injured is by playing not to get injured. Plus, I wonder why Eloy might want to make that play; why would making a catch like that, even in ST, be so important to him? Hummm? Would it be he was trying to shut up, at least for a while, his critics who bash him LF play on this board and now in the press? You think that might have played into why he wanted to bring back that ball so badly?? Of course it did. 

Next, on to the injury thing, again can we stop the over-worrying about injuries. Now people are saying that Vaughn shouldn't play LF because might get injured or even more stupid, he might get Robert injured. He might, but he could and Robert could get injured in a myriad number of ways. Do we wrap them in bubble wrap and sit them on the bench? You try to put the best team on the field to give you the best chance to win. You guys using this as a complaint, it's just stupid. You're disappointed and pissed off about Eloy's injury, so you're gonna find anything possibly to b**** about. I think Vaughn in LF is a good move. We give up some defense to try the best way possible to make up for the lost offense. Plus, all you guys bitching about Eloy's terrible defense, can't tell me that Vaughn is gonna be that much worse. All you guys, the entire point of you complaints was that Eloy was barely better than a  little leaguer (you know, like what you used to say about Avi Garcia in RF). For all you guys, and there are many of you, who have been saying that, how can Vaughn would be that much worse. Again, you're just bitchin' to b**** because you're upset and pissed off. 

Next, the drafting and Latin player development thing. If we ever needed them, it really looks (and I know it's only ST) like our draft choices are really starting to come through more than they ever have, and again, when we really needed them. Rodon has looked great. Collins has looked great and that's why Vaughn can play in LF. And then there's Vaughn; he's looking rather above average. So, I think that management has done of pretty good job of drafting and having player ready to contribute. Robert and Abreu as example of good Latin players? 

All the complaining about not getting another starter. I think the funniest, most ironic poster on this board is the guy that keep complaining about Dylan Cease, how he has no control and is walking too many. What has Cease given up this ST? I think it's one run. I liked the post where the guy compared Cease to Musgrove after people where complaining about not getting him; that was pretty funny. And you're right; Rodon, we can't depend on hit; he has been a total fail so far. In reality, he's looking a lot better than our 5th pitcher. Now I know Rodon still could get hurt and Cease could go all to hell. But right now, the "we need to sign more pitching depth" complaint looks pretty sad. To me, I think it's our starting pitching (let us pray on avoiding injuries) that's going to compensate for the lose of Eloy. And if we do get a starting pitcher injured, if only we had some one or some two like Kopech and Crochet to fill in as a starter (another failed and not developed draft choice). 

I posted a message with this same message about a month ago. The complaining on this site is ridiculous and petty. Please get you emotions and disappointment under control. Again, we have a World Series contender. Yes, losing Eloy really hurts, but look at our line up; it's still amazing: Moncada, Anderson, Abreu, Robert, Vaughn, Grandal; put that with Madrigal and Eaton and Collins and the White Sox are going to score a lot of runs, a lot of runs; and with our starting pitching and bullpen. There's no reasonable way to deny that the Sox are still very much a World Series contender.

But if all you did was read this message board the last few days with all the bitching and complaining, you'd never know it. 

Why are you trying to anger the baseball gods with this diatribe?  It’s way too early to say we have enough depth when we’ve already lost two OFs (one possibly being our best hitter) and a RP for extended periods of time.  For now, we should all just be crossing our fingers and hoping for the best while enjoying some White Sox baseball...absolutely no reason to be tempting fate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I actually don't. I have them at 86 but I think their floor is about 83-84. Their ceiling is way higher. I just tend to go closer to floor than ceiling.

My opinion is that it takes more talent to win 90 games than it used to. 

You should call Vegas and say you want the line under at 86.5.  I bet they'd give you like +250 for thaat.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's not for me. I'm sick of toxic positivity culture. 

Disappointment is just the worst. 

Jack - I love you bro, but you really need to find a better balance when it comes to the pessimism.  It’s much better to go all in on the optimism and then rage move your family to Nashville when it doesn’t work out then live your life expecting the worse all the time.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Could you imagine getting waking up everyday with a pessimistic outlook on just about everything? That must be exhausting, isn’t it?

When you refer to positivity as toxic things get bleak pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

I know I’m usually optimistic but I agree with this. I hope they make the playoffs but they aren’t a guaranteed playoff team in my sad opinion.

From a realistic lens, the Sox still have enough talent to win the AL Central without Eloy but need to further limit serious injuries and likely need a couple of breakthrough performances to offset normal wear & tear / regression.  Moncada and Cease are the fulcrums IMO, but there are other guys like Vaughn, Collins, Rodon, etc who could greatly exceed expectations and change our trajectory.  I’m still far more nervous than I’d like to be given the core in place, but this is still one of the most talented rosters in my lifetime as a Sox fan.

9 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

I blame his parents and childhood. People aren’t naturally like that. You have to be conditioned 

It's definitely not my parents, they're pretty optimistic people.

There are definitely some pretty shitty things that have happened to me throughout my life, and that's where it comes from. 

There was a joke the other day that I saw that sums it up perfectly: 

No description available.

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

From a realistic lens, the Sox still have enough talent to win the AL Central without Eloy but need to further limit serious injuries and likely need a couple of breakthrough performances to offset normal wear & tear / regression.  Moncada and Cease are the fulcrums IMO, but there are other guys like Vaughn, Collins, Rodon, etc who could greatly exceed expectations and change our trajectory.  I’m still far more nervous than I’d like to be given the core in place, but this is still one of the most talented rosters in my lifetime as a Sox fan.

^^^^^^

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jack - I love you bro, but you really need to find a better balance when it comes to the pessimism.  It’s much better to go all in on the optimism and then rage move your family to Nashville when it doesn’t work out then live your life expecting the worse all the time.

It's even better to realize it's just entertainment and doesn't truly change your life either way.

Just enjoy the games and the season. Its baseball, the most enjoyable and fun game around. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

So you’re just the guy who whenever a topic comes up in life you instantly say something pessimistic. Must be fun at parties 

Actually no. There are some things that I'm optimistic about. There are others (the Sox being one of them) that I'm pessimistic about. 

Actually I can only think of two things that I'm definitely pessimistic about, and the Sox are one of them. 

You guys just caught me in a bad mood today. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

45 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You should call Vegas and say you want the line under at 86.5.  I bet they'd give you like +250 for thaat.

I despise gambling mostly. Too much uncertainty. 

There are some gambling sites that do give away money and I'm there for those. Beyond that, nope. 

I'm not agoraphobic or anything, but a lot of things that most people wouldn't think twice about doing I find very risky.

Most of my pessimism comes from being extremely risk averse.  

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

Maybe some people just don't want to bet against their favorite team? I for one think the under is a decent play but I'd never bet against the sox as baseball is about enjoyment and not profits. I'd rather bet on the things I believe will happen that are good (Tim for MVP and Vaughn for ROY). 

Why people constantly attack people that don't praise the white sox on this site ill never understand. The organization itself is one of the most embarrassing in all of professional sports when evaluating existence vs wins/titles/playoff appearances. You can enjoy baseball and the team while also accepting that reality. Benefit of the doubt is earned not given.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe some people just don't want to bet against their favorite team? I for one think the under is a decent play but I'd never bet against the sox as baseball is about enjoyment and not profits. I'd rather bet on the things I believe will happen that are good (Tim for MVP and Vaughn for ROY). 

Why people constantly attack people that don't praise the white sox on this site ill never understand. The organization itself is one of the most embarrassing in all of professional sports when evaluating existence vs wins/titles/playoff appearances. You can enjoy baseball and the team while also accepting that reality. Benefit of the doubt is earned not given.

Bingo. For example I'm much more willing to give the Blackhawks the benefit of the doubt than the Sox. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bingo. For example I'm much more willing to give the Blackhawks the benefit of the doubt than the Sox. 

Maybe because no one can ever talk about a positive day or action or game without certain people. Downplaying it ten ways to Sunday. Like yeah it’s okay to be cautious, but baseball is an outlet it’s supposed to be an enjoyable escape. We don’t need someone bringing every single topic down or downplaying everything.

28 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Maybe because no one can ever talk about a positive day or action or game without certain people. Downplaying it ten ways to Sunday. Like yeah it’s okay to be cautious, but baseball is an outlet it’s supposed to be an enjoyable escape. We don’t need someone bringing every single topic down or downplaying everything.

You would do well here in China...

Calling out people for "overworrying" about injuries when one of our best hitters suffered a likely season ending injury before the season even started seems like a strange position to take.

We have no depth. I understand some people being annoyed by constant pessimism but excessive optimism or lack of realism is just as annoying. People insisting on being optimistic just for the sake of it are puzzling. At least our concerns are valid. When you have to literally use, "Well, *insert best case scenario here* COULD happen!" as a pick up you are just proving our point. It's easier to accept something as it is than pray for it to be something it's not very likely to be.

This team is still going to have a lot of problems, Eloy's injury ASIDE, even.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 3

Losing 30+ home runs in your lineup is never good. This we know.

However I think this roster is in a much better position to attempt to make up for it than last year. Remember, last season the Sox had essentially no DH, no RF, a disappointing showing at 3B, and 2.5 starting pitchers if you count Cease. Oh, and a CF who was non-existent except for the glove the last, what, half of the season? Third? I'm too lazy to look it up.

With the added pitching depth/improved performances (we hope), removing Lopez from the rotation, adding a serviceable RF, a constantly evolving Adam Engel, a revitalized Moncada, and still having a lights out bullpen, I'm still pretty optimistic. And this is coming from a guy who generally tries not to get too high or low when it comes to expectations, I try to stay in the middle.

And I never even mentioned the runs saved from him not being in the field. Moving forward I'd like to see them package Vaughn for another pitcher. I'm not big on armchair GM speculation, but it would make sense if you can put Eloy as a full time DH.