White Sox were expected to sign Juan Soto

Look at Ray Ray Run

Wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. Reinsdorf has found his sweet spot in signing these Cubans for cheap ( except for Robert) rather than spent 100m + on an established player. 

ive never concurred with the reinsdorf is cheap stuff but am starting to lean that way. I don’t understand, especially at his age where is the let’s really load up and go for it mindset is. It seems like it’s always let’s do something pretty good every ten years and hope luck is on our side. 

his legacy is going to be terrible when he passes. Michael Jordan and his greatness will be the only thing that saves him from being a buffoon and even that may not do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

39 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. Reinsdorf has found his sweet spot in signing these Cubans for cheap ( except for Robert) rather than spent 100m + on an established player. 

ive never concurred with the reinsdorf is cheap stuff but am starting to lean that way. I don’t understand, especially at his age where is the let’s really load up and go for it mindset is. It seems like it’s always let’s do something pretty good every ten years and hope luck is on our side. 

his legacy is going to be terrible when he passes. Michael Jordan and his greatness will be the only thing that saves him from being a buffoon and even that may not do it.

Sox were set to sign him as an amateur. 1.4 million. 

"In late October, almost five years to the day before his epic showdown with Cole, Soto flew to Florida for a Dominican Prospect League tournament with dozens of other Latin American teenagers who planned to sign the first day they could, July 2, 2015. Among his teammates: Fernando Tatis Jr., whom the Chicago White Sox would get for $825,000. The White Sox were pursuing Soto as well, willing to give him a $1.4 million signing bonus, and he believed he was likely to agree with them until Oct. 22, the final day of the tournament. DiPuglia and Deric Ladnier, a high-ranking Nationals scout, asked Niche for a private hitting session with Soto in a batting cage at Fort Lauderdale Stadium."

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

JR could care less about his legacy. He has made more money owning the White Sox than any of the previous White Sox owners. The franchise is a goldmine for him and his investors. I wasn't surprised to read  a few weeks ago that JRs 2 sons want to buy out the other investors.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Had they signed/remained with the Sox, do you actually think that Tatis Jr and Soto would have developed into the players they are today? 

Serious question. 

And it's a very good one. Perhaps. The bigger question is would they have stayed here long term? Sadly, I think the answer to that one is likely very easy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Had they signed/remained with the Sox, do you actually think that Tatis Jr and Soto would have developed into the players they are today? 

Serious question. 

Yes, they absolutely would have. They were dominate by 18-19 in MLB. It was their talent that made them great not 6 months of organization development.

• Like 3

This is very sad but maybe they learned their lesson as it’s rumored colas is coming and the Sox outbid everyone. Maybe they don’t want to lose a player over 200k anymore. I just want our pipeline in the minors to be deeper. Seems like we miss on a lot of second and third rounders and we have missed plenty of first rounders in the past. Hard to miss on top 5 players but we will be picking in the twenties now and we need  way better scouting and development also hoping we don’t give any more international money away. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

JR could care less about his legacy. He has made more money owning the White Sox than any of the previous White Sox owners. The franchise is a goldmine for him and his investors. I wasn't surprised to read  a few weeks ago that JRs 2 sons want to buy out the other investors.

JR has made a lot of money? When was the last time you saw a Brinks truck in a funeral procession?

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Got a source for this?

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/coverstory032621/welcome-juan-soto-mlb

In late October, almost five years to the day before his epic showdown with Cole, Soto flew to Florida for a Dominican Prospect League tournament with dozens of other Latin American teenagers who planned to sign the first day they could, July 2, 2015. Among his teammates: Fernando Tatis Jr., whom the Chicago White Sox would get for $825,000. The White Sox were pursuing Soto as well, willing to give him a $1.4 million signing bonus, and he believed he was likely to agree with them until Oct. 22, the final day of the tournament. DiPuglia and Deric Ladnier, a high-ranking Nationals scout, asked Niche for a private hitting session with Soto in a batting cage at Fort Lauderdale Stadium.

DiPuglia and Ladnier flipped balls to Soto to see how the barrel of his bat moved through different parts of the strike zone. Satisfied, they told Niche the Nationals were willing to pay $1.5 million. Niche agreed to the number and they shook hands. Soon thereafter, De Jon Watson, a top executive with Arizona who was interested in Soto, walked by the cage and asked what was going on. "It's a done deal," DiPuglia said.

• Love 1

After some early misses (Nestor Molina comes to mind), Paddy and KW have been right more often that not on their LA evals.

Just a matter of convincing JR to error on the financial rather than talent side of trades.

The problem now with the Cuban Connection is it might be relied upon too much...compared to doing all the legwork in the DR, Venezuela, Central America, Colombia, Brazil.

And we probably have had the fewest (or at least bottom 5) Asian players of any MLB team...or US veterans signed out of those leagues.  Colas will be one of the first in a long time.

9 minutes ago, ron883 said:

@Y2Jimmy0 also has very high praises for Marco Paddy. Basked on Marco's track record, it seems like he might be one of the best in the business at what he does. Imagine him with a team that isn't cheap. 

Isn’t MLB moving to an international draft at some point?  That’s basically what we need to be on an even playing field and hopefully allows Paddy to his thing without Jerry interfering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

@Y2Jimmy0 also has very high praises for Marco Paddy. Basked on Marco's track record, it seems like he might be one of the best in the business at what he does. Imagine him with a team that isn't cheap. 

This was also my takeaway as well. It sucks but every team misses out on guys. This class was pretty close to the cap, though it sounds like this would fit in. Had they though, it would have compromised getting Robert. And would have been rough just getting penalties for 50-100k.

Edit: not saying Soto wasn’t worth that, but it wasn’t a guarantee at time. But this makes me more confident on cespedes/colas hitting in some capacity