Yermin may have made the team..

Drake Is Our Leader

I don't really think Lucroy makes any sense. They'd have to clear a spot to add him and they already need spots for Vaughn, Lamb and Hamilton. Collins is the backup catcher and Grandal will likely DH when he's catching. Yermin has more power on the bench. I also don't believe Lucroy has an opt-out so this makes sense. I just didn't see them doing it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't really think Lucroy makes any sense. They'd have to clear a spot to add him and they already need spots for Vaughn, Lamb and Hamilton. Collins is the backup catcher and Grandal will likely DH when he's catching. Yermin has more power on the bench. I also don't believe Lucroy has an opt-out so this makes sense. I just didn't see them doing it. 

For some reason I thought Lucroy had an opt out. This is much better if true!

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So Lamb's deal is an MLB deal?

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They need a roster spot for Lamb?

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

So a possible bench of (with a righty on the mound and Collins in lineup) :

C Yermin

1B/3B Lamb

OF Hamilton or Williams

UTIL Leury

This but without "or Williams"

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Thought maybe it was minor league depth signing.

It may have been procedurally but once he's on the MLB roster its an MLB deal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Lamb should not be on the team in place of anyone.  

Why, exactly?  He's a major leaguer, and Mendick likely isn't.  Plus, its not like you're shooting Mendick to the moon.  The guy will still be in the organization, likely on the taxi squad, or at the very least, a phone call away.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why, exactly?  He's a major leaguer, and Mendick likely isn't.  Plus, its not like you're shooting Mendick to the moon.  The guy will still be in the organization, likely on the taxi squad, or at the very least, a phone call away.  

Because he's not a good enough player to be on this roster **and** he's incapable of playing the MIF.   The 2nd IF isn't going to get many PAs so it only makes sense to have a guy who can fill in on the MIF in the event of injury, aside from Leury who will already see his share of playing time and may be on the field in the event of injury.

Players get sat down with days off due to nagging issues all of the time.  If someone important is getting the day off, the choice shouldn't be to bring the guy in or else make an unnecessary musical chairs situation if someone else gets hurt.  

Eaton is already injury prone and there's no Engel to start the year.  Yeah, Mendick should be a very easy call.  Lamb is useless.  Dumb move by the Sox if there's any plans for him to be anything more than depth at Charlotte/Alt site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Because he's not a good enough player to be on this roster **and** he's incapable of playing the MIF.   The 2nd IF isn't going to get many PAs so it only makes sense to have a guy who can fill in on the MIF in the event of injury, aside from Leury who will already see his share of playing time and may be on the field in the event of injury.

Players get sat down with days off due to nagging issues all of the time.  If someone important is getting the day off, the choice shouldn't be to bring the guy in or else make an unnecessary musical chairs situation if someone else gets hurt.  

Eaton is already injury prone and there's no Engel to start the year.  Yeah, Mendick should be a very easy call.  Lamb is useless.  Dumb move by the Sox if there's any plans for him to be anything more than depth at Charlotte/Alt site.

My guess is he is more of a LF option than anything else.  But who knows, I guess we'll see.  At the end of the day, there really is no harm in bringing him in.  

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lamb is 30 years old and hasn't been above replacement level since 2017. Yolmer Sanchez has been more of a big leaguer than lamb since 2017. I liked Lamb too but he's not guaranteed to be better than mendick at this point.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Mendick wasn't a SS anyway.

Leury's the primary back-up there, so Mendick backing up 2B is the only advantage vs. Lamb.

TLR loves his veterans, right?

Hamilton and Lamb.

That said, Yermin/Collins over Lucroy doesn't actually fit this way of thinking.

And Nick Williams might have hit better, but they'd clearly rather err on the side of speed and defense with both Hamilton AND Engel...believing they have enough offense to cover until you get to the late-inning defensive replacements.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lamb is 30 years old and hasn't been above replacement level since 2017. Yolmer Sanchez has been more of a big leaguer than lamb since 2017. I liked Lamb too but he's not guaranteed to be better than mendick at this point.

They must have seen something in that playoff series against the A's...