Sox Sign Jake Lamb

Bob Sacamano

I like Jake Lamb. Always have.  I almost posted this the other day when he got released.  I bet he could play LF, he's a very good 3B.  If anything, it proves some insurance for when Yoan stubs his toe and acts like his foot needs to be amputated.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I like Jake Lamb. Always have.  I almost posted this the other day when he got released.  I bet he could play LF, he's a very good 3B.  If anything, it proves some insurance for when Yoan stubs his toe and acts like his foot needs to be amputated.  

I was thinking that too. Give him an OF glove at Charlotte and see if he can handle it in case Collins doesn't hit and you need to move Vaughn to DH.

This is LaRussa. I mean Lamb was good under his time in AZ, he's still young, did better in Oakland? However .... a big however .... when ATL is choosing Panda over him? I can't imagine he's looked very good in Spring. Okay AAAA depth, but can't say I'd like to see him take AB's from anybody, nor do I think this is our response to Eloy. I'd think Lamb would've been signed regardless. Or at least I hope so. 

He was a very good hitter against RHP, in 2016 & 2017, before his rotator cuff injury. He had it surgically repaired and If he is finally healthy, his LH bat could be useful. What about the possibility of putting Moncada in LF, just for this year, versus RHP, and letting Lamb play 3RD? Lamb is a solid defensive third baseman. Was his shoulder injury to his throwing arm, and if so, does he still have the arm to play 3RD?

If that could work, it might be preferable to putting Vaughn in LF. Moncada would likely be an above average left fielder, given his speed and athleticism.

Edited by Lillian

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

He was a very good hitter against RHP, in 2016 & 2017, before his rotator cuff injury. He had it surgically repaired and If he is finally healthy, his LH bat could be useful. What about the possibility of putting Moncada in LF, just for this year, versus RHP, and letting Lamb play 3RD? Lamb is a solid defensive third baseman. Was his shoulder injury to his throwing arm, and if so, does he still have the arm to play 3RD?

Lamb can still play 3rd.

They aren't moving Moncada to LF to make room for Jake Lamb.  

Lamb is an insurance to Moncada injury (becuase honestly, it was Mendick otherwise, and literally no one else).  My guess is Lamb will be picking up an OF glove and may see some reps in LF if he makes the roster.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can we stop with all the suggestions that Moncada is soft? In the last three seasons, he has basically played the same number of games as Tim Anderson (actually a few more). And he seemed to have toughed it out last year while dealing with COVID.

Moncada appears to have elite level athleticism, but he couldn't even run the bases last year without being totally gassed. From me, he actually gets credit for toughing it out, even when he couldn't put up 2019-type numbers.

But that's just me, and doesn't mean Lamb isn't useful depth.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, KipWellsFan said:

Can we stop with all the suggestions that Moncada is soft? In the last three seasons, he has basically played the same number of games as Tim Anderson (actually a few more). And he seemed to have toughed it out last year while dealing with COVID.

Moncada appears to have elite level athleticism, but he couldn't even run the bases last year without being totally gassed. From me, he actually gets credit for toughing it out, even when he couldn't put up 2019-type numbers.

But that's just me, and doesn't mean Lamb isn't useful depth.

Yoan Moncada is incredibly soft.  This has absolutely nothing to do with Covid last year.  He gets a complete pass for everything to do with last season from me.

But the dude acts like he's seriously injured frequently.  Foul ball off his shin, hit by pitch, diving for a ball, etc.  Always acts very hurt.  I agree Moncada is a super elite athlete and I am not really bad mouthing him.  I love the guy.  But he's charmin soft.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yoan Moncada is incredibly soft.  This has absolutely nothing to do with Covid last year.  He gets a complete pass for everything to do with last season from me.

But the dude acts like he's seriously injured frequently.  Foul ball off his shin, hit by pitch, diving for a ball, etc.  Always acts very hurt.  I agree Moncada is a super elite athlete and I am not really bad mouthing him.  I love the guy.  But he's charmin soft.    

I have not seen anything concrete to suggest he’s soft. Theatrical? Maybe. But not soft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lamb can still play 3rd.

They aren't moving Moncada to LF to make room for Jake Lamb.  

Lamb is an insurance to Moncada injury (becuase honestly, it was Mendick otherwise, and literally no one else).  My guess is Lamb will be picking up an OF glove and may see some reps in LF if he makes the roster.  

I thought Beckman was regarded as the first backup third baseman.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I thought Beckman was regarded as the first backup third baseman.

Who is Beckman?  

Tim Beckham?  Maybe.  My guess is he's no longer with the org in a few weeks.  Regardless, Tim Beckham playing extended innings at 3B this season would be disaster.  

Edited by ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who is Beckman?  

Tim Beckham?  Maybe.  My guess is he's no longer with the org in a few weeks.  Regardless, Tim Beckham playing extended innings at 3B this season would be disaster.  

I was surprised how little (any?) spring training PT he got. Marco Hernandez has been playing a ton, as Williams. So, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he wants out for a better opportunity.