Sox Sign Jake Lamb

Bob Sacamano

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah that was cool.  Look guys - I like Moncada alot.  But he acts hurt all the time.  Agree to disagree if you want, but its a rarity when he goes a week of playing everyday without acting seriously hurt.  This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who watches most Sox games.  Regular occurrence. 

Agreed, I think the biggest issue is minor injuries seem to affect his production more than one would like.  I honestly hold my breath every time he has to leg out a grounder because it seems like every time he does he's tender and gimpy for long stretches.  Hopefully it is just recency bias with COVID last season, he has looked MUCH looser/smoother/less restricted to my untrained eye in ST this year.  Hope it holds up cause dude can mash. 

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yoan Moncada is incredibly soft.  This has absolutely nothing to do with Covid last year.  He gets a complete pass for everything to do with last season from me.

But the dude acts like he's seriously injured frequently.  Foul ball off his shin, hit by pitch, diving for a ball, etc.  Always acts very hurt.  I agree Moncada is a super elite athlete and I am not really bad mouthing him.  I love the guy.  But he's charmin soft.    

Lol I guarantee you are way softer than eloy or moncada. It’s so funny hearing these wannabe tough guys calling pro athletes soft. I almost always exclusively hear this from old fat farts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Lol I guarantee you are way softer than eloy or moncada. It’s so funny hearing these wannabe tough guys calling pro athletes soft. I almost always exclusively hear this from old fat farts.

lol you can’t be serious? First of all, I’m in my 20s. Second, no shit Eloy and Moncada are tougher than me. They’re fucking professional athletes and athletic freaks of nature. I am talking about softness in the context of professional baseball/athletes. No idea how calling Moncada soft makes me a “tough guy”. It’s clear as day to anyone who watches the Sox. Sorry I offended you, buddy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

This team shouldn't worry about facing left handers, against which their heavily weighted RH hitting line up didn't lose a single game last season. RH pitching is an entirely different matter. With that in mind, perhaps Lamb, if healthy, should be in the lineup, on days when the Sox are facing a RH starter:

VERSUS RH PITCHING          AB    2B   3B  HR  RBI  AVG  OBP  SLG  

J. LAMB 2016 & 2017            413  27    7    25   75   .271  .346  .552

404  26    4    25   86   .282  .386  .552

ELOY CAREER STATS:            501  26    2    34   91   .279  .321  .543

Projected lineup vs. RHP:

Anderson

Eaton

Abreu

Moncada

Robert

Lamb

Grandal/Collins

Vaughn

Madrigal

Edited by Lillian
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

This team shouldn't worry about facing left handers, against which their heavily weighted RH hitting line up didn't lose a single game last season. RH pitching is an entirely different matter. With that in mind, perhaps Lamb, if healthy, should be in the lineup, on days when the Sox are facing a RH starter:

Anderson

Eaton

Abreu

Moncada

Robert

Lamb

Grandal/Collins

Vaughn

Madrigal

Sooooo we should just sign Encarncion if we are allowed to use 2016 and 2017 numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anderson

Eaton

Abreu

Moncada

Robert

Lamb

Grandal/Collins

Vaughn

Madrigal

Noooo thank you.

• Thanks 1

Anderson

Eaton

Abreu

Moncada

Robert

Lamb

Grandal/Collins

Vaughn

Madrigal

No offense Lillian but stats from 4 and 5 years ago really have nothing to do with the player he is now . But he may still make the team. Seems as though the Sox want to have more power and LH vets on the bench which in theory is a good idea for late inning heroics. All we can hope is that it works in execution as much as it does in theory.

• Thanks 1

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Noooo thank you.

Yeah, I think I'd rather just run out Collins at DH versus RHP assuming Vaughn can actually passably play LF.  If Vaughn isn't a close to everyday answer in LF and needs to DH most the time, not sure what you can do really against RHP.  The mental gymnastics that Lillian took to get to that conclusion were a bit funny, but I'd probably take my chances rolling with Lamb in LF occasionally against RHP. 

Leury's career slash line against RHP: .243/.283/.351/.634

Engel career slash line against RHP: .207/.264/.324/.588

Lamb career slash line against RHP: .257/.342/.463/.805

29 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sooooo we should just sign Encarncion if we are allowed to use 2016 and 2017 numbers.

No, we shouldn't "just sign Encarnacion". Encarnacion is 38, right handed, can't play a position and isn't excused from being bad because of an injury. Comparing apples and oranges, is not a valid argument. 

Asking Vaughn to learn a new position, in his rookie season, is not the best option. If Collins is in the lineup, he shouldn't hit in Eloy's spot, as he is yet unproven. He would have to bat further down in the order.

If La Russa doesn't intend to play Lamb, why did they release Lucroy to make room for Lamb? Moreover, why would Lamb sign to sit on the bench? 

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

No, we shouldn't "just sign Encarnacion". Encarnacion is 38, right handed, can't play a position and isn't excused from being bad because of an injury. Comparing apples and oranges, is not a valid argument

Asking Vaughn to learn a new position, in his rookie season, is not the best option. If Collins is in the lineup, he shouldn't hit in Eloy's spot, as he is yet unproven. He would have to bat further down in the order.

If La Russa doesn't intend to play Lamb, why did they release Lucroy to make room for Lamb? Moreover, why would Lamb sign to sit on the bench? 

I don't believe his comparison was honest, he was pointing out that using numbers from 5 years ago isn't that smart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Lillian said:

No, we shouldn't "just sign Encarnacion". Encarnacion is 38, right handed, can't play a position and isn't excused from being bad because of an injury. Comparing apples and oranges, is not a valid argument. 

Lamb has also never played OF in the MLB or MiLB so he would be learning a new position as well (I assume he is in LF in your lineup).

Also using stats from 5 years ago is not valid data.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Lamb has also never played OF in the MLB or MiLB so he would be learning a new position as well (I assume he is in LF in your lineup).

Also using stats from 5 years ago is not valid data.

That is true about Lamb never playing left field, however, you are not going to be nearly as concerned about messing with him as you would be with say, Vaughn or Moncada. 

Leftfield should not be a challenging position for an athletic guy like Lamb. it’s not like anyone is expecting him to be a gold glover.

Sox seem fairly committed To AV in left field though, and I think if he proves himself to be suitable out there that’s a pretty good development for the future.🤞🏼 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

That is true about Lamb never playing left field, however, you are not going to be nearly as concerned about messing with him as you would be with say, Vaughn or Moncada. 

Leftfield should not be a challenging position for an athletic guy like Lamb. it’s not like anyone is expecting him to be a gold glover.

Sox seem fairly committed To AV in left field though, and I think if he proves himself to be suitable out there that’s a pretty good development for the future.🤞🏼 

Oh I'm not disagreeing that he shouldn't be open to playing in LF. Just pointing out to the poster that either way, they have an non-outfield player in LF.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

IF, and this is a huge if and by no means do I believe it is the case, BUT, IF Vaughn were a decent-below average LF instead of 1B he'd be a top 5 prospect in the game right now. The bar, being Eloy, is very low. This is a low risk move with a nice potential payout.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Look, just because these guys are athletic freaks and top notch baseball players doesn't mean they are "hard" or good at fighting. Tbh, if you put me and Moncada in an octagon, I'm betting on myself. He may have more muscle, but that won't stop him from getting taken to the ground and getting out-techniqued. He's always very injury prone. 

Good to have you back Lillian 👌 hope you've been able to get back to the gym as the quarantine days are ending. 

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Look, just because these guys are athletic freaks and top notch baseball players doesn't mean they are "hard" or good at fighting. Tbh, if you put me and Moncada in an octagon, I'm betting on myself. He may have more muscle, but that won't stop him from getting taken to the ground and getting out-techniqued. He's always very injury prone. 

Would pay good money for this match

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Just gotta kick him in the shin and he'll hobble around be listed as "day to day."

• Fire 1

54 minutes ago, raBBit said:

IF, and this is a huge if and by no means do I believe it is the case, BUT, IF Vaughn were a decent-below average LF instead of 1B he'd be a top 5 prospect in the game right now. The bar, being Eloy, is very low. This is a low risk move with a nice potential payout.

Exactly.  It also solved the Eloy LF issue.  And the Eloy/Abreu/Vaughn 3 players 2 positions issue.  I think its a great development for the future if he can stick in LF.  

24 minutes ago, Greydawgfan1 said:

Internet tough guys are the best. Usually the softest dudes alive 

Soft as in he can't play through any pain. The normal stuff other players can play through. A foulball off his leg takes him out of the game and has him on the bench the next day. That's what people are referring to.

Edited by manbearpuig

57 minutes ago, ron883 said:

but his muscle would likely klock you out in one punch lol Better hope you take him down first

• Like 1