Sox Sign Jake Lamb

Bob Sacamano

26 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Just gotta kick him in the shin and he'll hobble around be listed as "day to day."

7 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Soft as in he can't play through any pain. The normal stuff other players can play through. A foulball off his leg takes him out of the game and has him on the bench the next day. That's what people are referring to.

It's a spring training game...soon after we had the Eloy injury...I'm not sure coming out of the game and not playing the next day were his choices.  He's lucky he got to finish his at-bat and wasn't removed due to "an abundance of caution."  We're lucky he wasn't pulled so we could witness the mammoth homer by the "soft" guy that hobbled around after fouling a ball off his shin.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Look, just because these guys are athletic freaks and top notch baseball players doesn't mean they are "hard" or good at fighting. Tbh, if you put me and Moncada in an octagon, I'm betting on myself. He may have more muscle, but that won't stop him from getting taken to the ground and getting out-techniqued. He's always very injury prone. 

Moncada would make you stand and trade.  It would be a Disastre Personal for you.

OTOH if it was Yermin I bet you'd pull guard and give him your back.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That is true about Lamb never playing left field, however, you are not going to be nearly as concerned about messing with him as you would be with say, Vaughn or Moncada. 

Leftfield should not be a challenging position for an athletic guy like Lamb. it’s not like anyone is expecting him to be a gold glover.

Sox seem fairly committed To AV in left field though, and I think if he proves himself to be suitable out there that’s a pretty good development for the future.🤞🏼 

They have to be hoping Vaughn proves capable enough so they never have to give Eloy a glove again right?

1 hour ago, heirdog said:

It's a spring training game...soon after we had the Eloy injury...I'm not sure coming out of the game and not playing the next day were his choices.  He's lucky he got to finish his at-bat and wasn't removed due to "an abundance of caution."  We're lucky he wasn't pulled so we could witness the mammoth homer by the "soft" guy that hobbled around after fouling a ball off his shin.

I'm saying this normally happens during the season with him. Not just recently.

16 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I'm saying this normally happens during the season with him. Not just recently.

Right!? These people must not actually watch the Sox very much. Dude comes up gimpy or hobbled like once a series. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I wouldn't be shocked if they sign Yolmer to a minor league deal. 

If you're Mendick, you should just ask for your release if they bring back Yolmer. Leury can play the infield. Moncada/TA/Madrigal have holds on the 3 spots. Lamb know the back up to Moncada. They already brought in Tim Beckham who while an afterthought to many (his suspension doesn't help), he was a target of the Sox going into the offseason. Adding another utility infield type would just show they don't believe in Mendick in any insignificant way. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

2021 and some people still hoping for Yolmer in a Sox uni in some capacity :huh

I'd suggest the capacity of the Southpaw uni but it would really be a pain getting dried up gatorade out of that fur.

This topic has run it's course, but I just wanted to chime in now that Lamb has made the team that he makes the team better.  I'd much rather have Lamb than Mendick on the bench, because Lamb's bat can be useful, as pointed out above.

He hit 3rd for Oakland in the playoff game that knocked us out of the postseason. You don't have to look at stats from 4-5 years ago. Just look at last season. Small sample size, but he's not going to get a ton of ABs anyway. He will get some, and should do well with them. 

Plus, if Moncada gets dinged up and misses a week, the offense doesn't have to go in the tank. 

7 minutes ago, VAfan said:

This topic has run it's course, but I just wanted to chime in now that Lamb has made the team that he makes the team better.  I'd much rather have Lamb than Mendick on the bench, because Lamb's bat can be useful, as pointed out above.

He hit 3rd for Oakland in the playoff game that knocked us out of the postseason. You don't have to look at stats from 4-5 years ago. Just look at last season. Small sample size, but he's not going to get a ton of ABs anyway. He will get some, and should do well with them. 

Plus, if Moncada gets dinged up and misses a week, the offense doesn't have to go in the tank. 

Lamb played really well against us, even if the numbers weren't that great. He was consistently hitting the ball hard and putting up good at bats. If we can get Oakland Lamb coming off the bench for us, that'd be a great depth piece to have. 

Edited by chw42