3/30 2:10PM CST Sox @ Rockies FINAL ST Game

DoUEvenShift

2 more K's for Cease. He's up to 11.  Fell behind Joe and gave up a single on a pretty good pitch.  83 pitches, 56 strikes through 5.  Not too many non-competitive pitches with the fastball or slider.  Knuckle curve has not been great.  Barely thrown the change.  He's got a really good game plan working.  Hopefully, whatever he found in the fifth inning of his last start sticks into the regular season.

8 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

2 more K's for Cease. He's up to 11.  Fell behind Joe and gave up a single on a pretty good pitch.  83 pitches, 56 strikes through 5.  Not too many non-competitive pitches with the fastball or slider.  Knuckle curve has not been great.  Barely thrown the change.  He's got a really good game plan working.  Hopefully, whatever he found in the fifth inning of his last start sticks into the regular season.

Bauer's fb spin averages 2300 rpm . Cease just spun a heater at 2600 😳

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, but what's Bauer's fastball carry vs Cease's? 

Giolito's fb has about the same spin as Bauer's. Cease has more spin but worse carry. I thought Cease and Lopez had similar fb carry. 

The kid hits 100 when he wants and has pretty good off speed stuff. Fastball carry? Lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Would you prefer a million walks, no control, and them being all over his fastball? 

Nope, but I think that high spin doesn't necessarily result in high carry. 

Carry is more deceiving to hitters. 

Stuff=how hitters react to it. Break, velo, spin rate doesn't matter as much as the hitters not being able to pick up the ball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Stuff=how hitters react to it. Break, velo, spin rate doesn't matter as much as the hitters not being able to pick up the ball. 

Ask the 11 hitters he fanned today how his carry was. Lol next

34 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Carry matters but there are also guys with good fastballs without great carry (cutters, sinkers). They are not as common as 10 years ago but there are still successful pitchers like that. 

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

Carry matters but there are also guys with good fastballs without great carry (cutters, sinkers). They are not as common as 10 years ago but there are still successful pitchers like that. 

Cease isn't a sinkerballer. Carry matters for 4SFB guys, of which Cease is one. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cease isn't a sinkerballer. Carry matters for 4SFB guys, of which Cease is one. 

Cease spent all off-season working on his 4 seamer and trying to remove its cutting action, so I’d wait & see him pitch before saying his carry hasn’t improved.  11 k’s through five is a promising sign, even if just spring training.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cease spent all off-season working on his 4 seamer and trying to remove its cutting action, so I’d wait & see him pitch before saying his carry hasn’t improved.  11 k’s through five is a promising sign, even if just spring training.

Colorado might be almost as bad as Pittsburgh. 

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Ask the 11 hitters he fanned today how his carry was. Lol next

A few exhibition games is hardly room to gloat. He looked just as amazing in an intrasquad game last year. A full season worth of good pitching would help the Sox immensely. Don't get too carried away with what you think you know and the same applies to Jack.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic