Seeing the Sox on TV

The Grinder

So I'm kind of in the dark on how NBC sports channel is blacking out games in my area, but it doesn't look life there are many Sox games at least in the foreseeable future. I have Dish and NBC is channel 159. Per Dish the fee is about $130 for extra innings but then again some games are blacked out which I wont buy. into. Any suggestions on how to see our beloved team this summer on TV,, not my PC? Thank you!

If you live in the "Chicago home market" which is most of IL, most of IN, all of IA and small parts of WI, Sox (and Cubs) games will be blacked out on MLB Extra Innings. You can only see Sox games (other than those broadcast nationally by ESPN, MLBN or FOX) on Comcast Sports Net Chicago. If your standard package does not carry that channel, you may have to pay for a sports tier that carries it.

If you live outside of the "Chicago home market", games will be blacked out on CSN Chicago and will only be available on MLB Extra Innings. Whatever games the Sox play against whatever team(s) home market you are in will be available through their regional sports network.

1 minute ago, The Grinder said:

Thank you for clarification, I live west of Rockford. How does a black out occur? Didnt it used to be determined by the amount of tickets sold by the home team in advance? 

No I think your thinking football. If you live near Rockford just get Comcast sports channel and you will get the games. Otherwise extra innings will be blacked out. My two cents 

30 minutes ago, quickman said:

No I think your thinking football. If you live near Rockford just get Comcast sports channel and you will get the games. Otherwise extra innings will be blacked out. My two cents 

I think yr spot on, thank you, best two cents I ever spent! :) but since I have Dish network I'll have to see if they have Comcast sports channel 

so how does MLB determine blackouts?

24 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I think yr spot on, thank you, best two cents I ever spent! :) but since I have Dish network I'll have to see if they have Comcast sports channel 

I believe how this works is that it’s determined based on the area you live for instance northern IL northern Indiana southern Wisconsin and so on , if you live in that area your blackout for extra innings. If let’s say you move to Kansas then you would get the Sox games through extra innings. 

27 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Your Comcast channel on dish is 429. If you turned it to that station you will know if your subscribed , if your not call them up and pony up some cash .

4 minutes ago, quickman said:

Your Comcast channel on dish is 429. If you turned it to that station you will know if your subscribed , if your not call them up and pony up some cash .

I think I used to get it a few yrs ago but IIRC not now. I wonder why when I chatted w the rep this AM he didnt refer me to that channel? Maybe he received a commission if I did the extra innings? Anyway, thank you!

2 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

They quoted me extra $28 month for channel 429, despite the occasional blackout, most Sox games be televised. Basically $1 a day, hey I'm a tight ass so will see how the season progresses first

That sounds like a lot for one channel. Are you tied to Dish Network? There are plenty of other options.

43 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

That sounds like a lot for one channel. Are you tied to Dish Network? There are plenty of other options.

They way I understood it, if I keep my current package and added the NBC Sports Chicago, it was $28 and yes it seems like a lot, maybe if I downgraded my orginal package I could get a break, I do know the price is negotiable as I got about $20 knocked off my orginal bill, its worth a call back

On 3/31/2021 at 2:01 PM, Kyyle23 said:

It's fucking crazy that in the current days of streaming subscriptions and viewership importance that MLB is still clinging on to 1980s-esque blackout restrictions.  Nobody hurts the MLB game like the MLB

It really is.

As someone who normally utilizes the internet...ahem...streaming services.... and doesn't have a ton of money to just give out, I am sitting here WANTING to pay for MLB.TV for the year, but it's so hard to with these black out restrictions.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

It really is.

As someone who normally utilizes the internet...ahem...streaming services.... and doesn't have a ton of money to just give out, I am sitting here WANTING to pay for MLB.TV for the year, but it's so hard to with these black out restrictions.

Last year I made a similar statement on Twitter and some guy started going after me about it, and I swear he was a MLB sock puppet.  He just kept saying "all you or anyone else has to do is call your cable provider and tell them which RSN you want".  About halfway through the argument a random guy who lives in Iowa says "yea, this is all a lie.  I live in Iowa and there are about 5 overlapping RSNs and I do not have access to any of them" and magically the guy just stopped arguing and went away

• Like 1