2021 BOLD predictions thread

Balta1701

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Parks, leagues, and time periods do matter though.

Sure but what’s really driving it is war calculation presuming without any actual empirical evidence that pitching has no effect on outcome on batted balls, thus overemphasizing value of strikeout when the true bottom line is recording outs while preventing runs from scoring, which Lynn has done at better than average rates consistently throughout his career. Since they can’t properly quantify it they ignore it. But just because something can’t be quantified doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Therefore pitching war is deeply flawed particularly fangraphs’.

55 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Sure but what’s really driving it is war calculation presuming without any actual empirical evidence that pitching has no effect on outcome on batted balls, thus overemphasizing value of strikeout when the true bottom line is recording outs while preventing runs from scoring, which Lynn has done at better than average rates consistently throughout his career. Since they can’t properly quantify it they ignore it. But just because something can’t be quantified doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Therefore pitching war is deeply flawed particularly fangraphs’.

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you say here, just point out a 3.7 ERA from seven years ago in a different park & league isn’t the same as a 3.7 today.  Lynn is most definitely a much better pitcher today, ERA be damned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

When the potential counter part (Dunning) could potentially put up 160 innings at 4.0 PLUS an extra 6 years of control. yeah.

So you are putting the odds of Dunning going 160 this year over zero?  Interesting and in the spirit of the thread for sure 🍻

Edited by Jerksticks

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You must have missed the positive Rodon, Robert, Moncada and Giolito predictions. 

I've never been a fan of Keuchel and Lynn. 

I thought that this would be a fun thread not like every other thread. This was a chance to be silly. Who gives a fig if you don't like Keuchel or Lynn upon hearing it for the 100th time or that you like Giolito . So Moncada, Giolito, a 5 tool CF uber prospect perform  well . The sun will rise in the morning . BOLD !

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought that this would be a fun thread not like every other thread. This was a chance to be silly. Who gives a fig if you don't like Keuchel or Lynn upon hearing it for the 100th time or that you like Giolito . So Moncada, Giolito, a 5 tool CF uber prospect perform  well . The sun will rise in the morning . BOLD !

Rodon being the Sox 2nd best pitcher isn't bold? 

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Rodon being the Sox 2nd best pitcher isn't bold? 

It's sure not silly and its like 1 of 6 things you said . Most of what you said was your regular thread material . Saying Rodon will be 2nd best is just a continuation of Lynn and Keuchel dislike. I actually kind of like a starting pitcher who put up a 1.99 ERA and got the Sox into the playoffs.  It's a performance that was far far better than a lot of SP's the Sox have acquired.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's sure not silly and its like 1 of 6 things you said . Most of what you said was your regular thread material . Saying Rodon will be 2nd best is just a continuation of Lynn and Keuchel dislike. I actually kind of like a starting pitcher who put up a 1.99 ERA and got the Sox into the playoffs.  It's a performance that was far far better than a lot of SP's the Sox have acquired.

The only thing that is silly that I said was Keuchel becoming Shields. 

how about this one: Adam Eaton plays 140 games  and makes Sox fans forget about RF being a black hole for so long. 

Or 

Nick Madrigal hits .340+ over the entire season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only thing that is silly that I said was Keuchel becoming Shields. 

how about this one: Adam Eaton plays 140 games  and makes Sox fans forget about RF being a black hole for so long. 

Or 

Nick Madrigal hits .340+ over the entire season. 

Work on your silly definition. If you don't like the guy it's more like predicting you were right to dislike him. The rest is bold . :)

2 minutes ago, 102605 said:

Buehrle unretires and saves game 2 of the World Series

Pablo Ozuna comes out of retirement to back up Buehrle in the pen.  Geoff Blum and Scotty Pods enjoy the actions from the stands.  Rowand and Brian Anderson do their usual running commentary for CBS Sports Radio.

TLR brings Buehrle (and his wife) back into the Sox fold through his animal charities advocacy.

Ethan Katz is NOT naming Pitching Coach of the Year.

Don Cooper goes the entire season quietly without getting into an argument with a single fan.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No it's not. He said Rodon would live up to being the #3 pick, which if we all travel back in time to that draft, Rodon spent a lot of that season projected #1. 

If you're going to police Jack's predictions for 3 pages, at least do it in good faith. 

He had bold predictions: 

- Rodon goes full stud mode.

- Keuchel falls of the faith of the earth after getting Cy Young votes and a 1.99 ERA. Like it or not (I personally don't), that's bold.

Meanwhile your bold, extra large font prediction is about a matchup that plenty of internet posters and pundits have been making (pre-Eloy injury). So quite frankly, what makes your prediction any better than his other ones?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ChetLemon77 said:

Crochet & Kopech are dubbed the "New Nasty Boys" by the national media by the All-Star Break. It'll be everywhere. Won't be able to escape it!

The Strikeout Bros

Edited by ron883

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you say here, just point out a 3.7 ERA from seven years ago in a different park & league isn’t the same as a 3.7 today.  Lynn is most definitely a much better pitcher today, ERA be damned.

2.74 from seven years ago

Edited by Vulture

Six Sox make the All-Star Game (which will not be played in Atlanta): Giolito, Bummer, Robert, Abreu, Moncada, and Anderson; with Anderson, Abreu, and Moncada starting and making a very White Sox AL starting infield. 

Eloy will return and have a home run before August 15th. But Engel and Eaton will be so solid, both in the field and batting, that Eloy will be made into a DH with some very rare playing in left field (but it will happen to make Eloy happy and when the Sox play an NL team and can't have a DH) And when a ball is hit his way, 60% of Sox fans watching at home will turn away from their TVs in horror and fear of what might happen. 

Vaughn will be very solid with his bat, but not good enough, to get an everyday spot in the line up due to Engel's ascension and raise tough decisions for Sox management this next winter. 

As solid as Eaton is next year, during his Minor League season, Yoelqui will leave no doubt that he is the starting RF for 2022. 

And finally, Avi Garcia will have a great year for Milwaukee so I can continue to come on here and b**** about the Sox releasing my favorite player and say "I told you so" to all the people who didn't want the Sox to pony up the $6 million measly dollars it would have taken to keep him here. And so I can tell all you A-HOLES who wanted him gone that I hope you burn in hell for all eternity. . . . . . Oh . . . . Sorry . . .  so sorry, that one just comes out of me every now and then. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

90ish wins is expected, Engel's never been an everyday player and Eloy is injured for most of the year. Bold as fuck .

Actually 90 wins may be expected but really doesn't mean it will happen. This is a young team that has the ability to go south.Some on this board think Engel is an everyday player when he isn't. Otherwise I don't understand the fucking hostility.

11 hours ago, Quin said:

No it's not. He said Rodon would live up to being the #3 pick, which if we all travel back in time to that draft, Rodon spent a lot of that season projected #1. 

If you're going to police Jack's predictions for 3 pages, at least do it in good faith. 

He had bold predictions: 

- Rodon goes full stud mode.

- Keuchel falls of the faith of the earth after getting Cy Young votes and a 1.99 ERA. Like it or not (I personally don't), that's bold.

Meanwhile your bold, extra large font prediction is about a matchup that plenty of internet posters and pundits have been making (pre-Eloy injury). So quite frankly, what makes your prediction any better than his other ones?

Sox winning the World Series against the Padres was the the setup to the other 2 things I said about holding Tatis and Machado hitless and Reinsdorf giving Soxtalk the finger . It's called setting up the punchline. As I'm sure you are aware there has been quite a  bit of Padres envy and much consternation over the loss of Tatis and not getting Machado. So that made it silly and funny more than a real prediction. Just in case the humor was lost on you.

I did give Jack credit for the the Rodon prediction by saying in a roundabout way, that it was the only 1 of the 6 predictions he made. Keuchel 's drop off is  bold but  it feels more like a setup for if he does fall off he can point back to the bold predictions thread and say " I predicted it " because he doesn't like him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

Actually 90 wins may be expected but really doesn't mean it will happen. This is a young team that has the ability to go south.Some on this board think Engel is an everyday player when he isn't. Otherwise I don't understand the fucking hostility.

What hositility ? Merely pointing out it didn't match the OP's criteria for boldness.

From Balta: I don't want to hear in this thread how Minnesota and Chicago will come down to the wire or Luca$ Giolito will come in 2nd for the Cy Young in here - too many people expect that.