4-1 GT: CWS @ LAA (9:05 PM CT)

• bmags pinned this topic

9:05 start time sucks, had no idea it wasn't going to be a day game. Excited and all, and typically I'd complain in other years about why don't northern teams play west/south, but meh.

Now it did snow today, so maybe it's better. 

• Like 1

The last time I was this excited about seeing an opening day team was 2011 when Adam Dunn played his first game as a Sox, hit a homer and a double, and we beat Fausto Carmona and the Indians 15-10.

Time grants perspective, but looking back on being excited for THAT team vs. THIS team is a world apart. Great things ahead, boys!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

May be reading way too far into it, but the link would seem to suggest that the plan is for Vaughn and Collins to platoon at DH with other options playing LF.

If true, I don't hate it.  But it will be very interesting if they both mash and it becomes hard to keep one out of the lineup most days.  (Though I'm sure they could get both into the lineup 2ish days per week by spelling the everyday players at 1B and C.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

9:05 start time sucks, had no idea it wasn't going to be a day game. Excited and all, and typically I'd complain in other years about why don't northern teams play west/south, but meh.

Now it did snow today, so maybe it's better. 

You can get away with night openers in Southern California but I don't like opening night games. For tradition sake, they should all be day games. But I'm glad the regular season is finally here. Spring Training is boring.

15 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

May be reading way too far into it, but the link would seem to suggest that the plan is for Vaughn and Collins to platoon at DH with other options playing LF.

If true, I don't hate it.  But it will be very interesting if they both mash and it becomes hard to keep one out of the lineup most days.  (Though I'm sure they could get both into the lineup 2ish days per week by spelling the everyday players at 1B and C.)

I hate it. You might as well have kept him in the minors 2 weeks to get the extra year of control and platooned Yermin instead.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

Having your top prospect in a platoon role(especially the lesser of it) is truly an awful idea.  I really hope that isn't the case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Having your top prospect in a platoon role(especially the lesser of it) is truly an awful idea.  I really hope that isn't the case.

Having your top prospect play out of position after experimenting there for three games and never having played above A ball is an awful idea.

Limiting another first round pick who had a remarkable spring to occasional DH and C work is also an awful idea.

Platooning them is hardly ideal, but all I said is that I don't hate it.  Eloy's injury and a combination of other factors leaves TLR without a clear, good option.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I hate to be that guy on opening day but...we're for real starting Vaughn on the bench?  

I'm with you. I struggle to see the logic in not playing the service time game, but also not putting him in the lineup. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

I'm with you. I struggle to see the logic in not playing the service time game, but also not putting him in the lineup. 

Yeah...notwithstanding my previous comments, it's hard to logically follow that aspect of the decision-making.

Only thing I can think of is that Hahn and TLR aren't on the same page.  Hahn wants both Collins and Vaughn on the roster but TLR is concerned about the defensive liability in LF.