4-1 GT: CWS @ LAA (9:05 PM CT)

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

The butterflies this opening day feel an awful lot like 2005. 

2006 for me.  I don't think anyone expected 2005 to happen the way it did.  But 2006, I felt we had the best team going in on paper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I hate it. You might as well have kept him in the minors 2 weeks to get the extra year of control and platooned Yermin instead.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the start of MiLB delayed?  So would it be longer than 2 weeks?  Or does only MLB season timeline matter for service time?

1 hour ago, BRDSR said:

Yeah...notwithstanding my previous comments, it's hard to logically follow that aspect of the decision-making.

Only thing I can think of is that Hahn and TLR aren't on the same page.  Hahn wants both Collins and Vaughn on the roster but TLR is concerned about the defensive liability in LF.

I truly doubt that Hahn is champing at the bit to trot Vaughn out to Left Field

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mqr said:

I truly doubt that Hahn is champing at the bit to trot Vaughn out to Left Field

But to others' previous points, then why is he on the roster for the first few weeks if he's not going to be used consistently?

To be clear, I'm not necessarily against him sitting on Opening Day.  Maybe TLR has a feel for how an OD start would weigh on someone in his position.  Maybe he's going to play 17 of the first 20 games, either at DH or LF, and this OD decision is specific to OD.  I don't think we know the answer to that yet.

I kind of started this discussion by reading pretty deep into the very short press release that he wouldn't start on OD, but I acknowledged that I was reading pretty deep into it.  Could very well be that this is not the item of interest we're treating it as right now.

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

2006 for me.  I don't think anyone expected 2005 to happen the way it did.  But 2006, I felt we had the best team going in on paper. 

yeah, 2006 was tough though because the relief was over. 2005 really hit me because I actually loved the podsednik and Iguchi pickups and believed in Jose as an ace. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRDSR said:

May be reading way too far into it, but the link would seem to suggest that the plan is for Vaughn and Collins to platoon at DH with other options playing LF.

If true, I don't hate it.  But it will be very interesting if they both mash and it becomes hard to keep one out of the lineup most days.  (Though I'm sure they could get both into the lineup 2ish days per week by spelling the everyday players at 1B and C.)

There is no way the Sox are only going to platoon Vaughn.  It makes no sense at all.

Right? RIGHT!? RIGHT!!!!???!?!?!?

Seriously tho, that's even dumber than this stupid AF Kopech plan if thats true.  I just don't see it.  TLR already said he wants to give everyone ABs this series, and with LHP going Fri/Sun for the Angels, today made sense.  As others have guessed, I bet Lamb is at DH on Saturday with Vaughn in LF.  I am sure that is all it is.  Or at least I hope.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is no way the Sox are only going to platoon Vaughn.  It makes no sense at all.

Seriously tho, that's even dumber than this stupid AF Kopech plan if thats true.  I just don't see it.  TLR already said he wants to give everyone ABs this series, and with LHP going Fri/Sun for the Angels, today made sense.  As others have guessed, I bet Lamb is at DH on Saturday with Vaughn in LF.  I am sure that is all it is.  Or at least I hope.  

Still, there's something disheartening about having a kid make the big league roster after working his whole life to be there, being a top 3 draft pick, surviving 2020, shifting positions because the team asked him to, and then...not getting the chance to run out onto the field before the first inning on opening day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Still, there's something disheartening about having a kid make the big league roster after working his whole life to be there, being a top 3 draft pick, surviving 2020, shifting positions because the team asked him to, and then...not getting the chance to run out onto the field before the first inning on opening day. 

Yes, I'd be pissed if I was him.

• Haha 1

Definitely would like to see Vaughn start tonight, but it’s not uncommon to get all or most of the bench players a start in the first series just to get everyone going. He’s got an extra day to practice left field in a big league stadium, and I’m sure his family will get to see him tomorrow night. Hope Madrigal’s family gets to be there too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Definitely would like to see Vaughn start tonight, but it’s not uncommon to get all or most of the bench players a start in the first series just to get everyone going. He’s got an extra day to practice left field in a big league stadium, and I’m sure his family will get to see him tomorrow night. Hope Madrigal’s family gets to be there too.

Billy Hamilton should never get a start on this team. I don't think he's long for the roster anyway but still.

Edited by manbearpuig

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I present you: the White Sox front office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1