4-1 GT: CWS @ LAA (9:05 PM CT)

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why tf would we cut him.. We have 0 SP depth.  There HAD to be someone else you could have cut

They didn't cut him.  They tried to sneak him through waivers and failed.

I think Flores was the easiest guy.  Zavala or Gonzalez maybe?  Zavala likely safe as he's the 4th catcher.  The days of us having a bunch of fluff on the 40 man are gone.  

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I have no idea how Yermin is so safe if they are never going to play him. With the current roster, he likely won't get at bats.

I think until Engel comes back, he's DHing frequently against LHP.  

You also have to carry 3 catchers if Collins is going to be DHing alot of the time against RHP.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

They didn't cut him.  They tried to sneak him through waivers and failed.

I think Flores was the easiest guy.  Zavala or Gonzalez maybe?  Zavala likely safe as he's the 4th catcher.  The days of us having a bunch of fluff on the 40 man are gone.  

There is still some fluff. As I stated in another thread, there are at least a couple guys you could trade for a A ball lotto ticket who wouldn’t require a roster spot. But there are still 5 or 6 guys left, if they lost, most of us would forget even existed in a few months.

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I have no idea how Yermin is so safe if they are never going to play him. With the current roster, he likely won't get at bats.

Zavala is a guy I would have risked losing.

Zavala can at least catch. Collins and Yermin, we don’t really know. And catchers get hurt. Might as well keep Zavala around until one of those two shows he can stick. You don’t have to be very good to be claimed as a catcher.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is still some fluff. As I stated in another thread, there are at least a couple guys you could trade for a A ball lotto ticket who wouldn’t require a roster spot. But there are still 5 or 6 guys left, if they lost, most of us would forget even existed in a few months.

Like, who exactly?  Besides Zavala and Gonzalez, the rest of the guys that would be towards the back of the 40 man are all real prospects.  Unless you're referring to guys like Adolfo, Rutherford, Burger, Sheets, etc as fluff.  Which I wouldn't, but to each their own.  ]

IMO, the "fluffiest" guys on the 40 man are Billy Hamilton and Jake Lamb.  Who are on the MLB roster.   For now - but likely not long.   

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Zavala is a guy I would have risked losing.

I would have been made with a Flores for Lamb trade lol.  so I'd have cut lamb

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would have been made with a Flores for Lamb trade lol.  so I'd have cut lamb

Yeah if we just never signed Lamb that also would have been ok. Or gone with Gonzalez instead of adding Hamilton, who I consider fluff.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Like, who exactly?  Besides Zavala and Gonzalez, the rest of the guys that would be towards the back of the 40 man are all real prospects.  Unless you're referring to guys like Adolfo, Rutherford, Burger, Sheets, etc as fluff.  Which I wouldn't, but to each their own.  ]

IMO, the "fluffiest" guys on the 40 man are Billy Hamilton and Jake Lamb.  Who are on the MLB roster.  

Lamb, Hamilton, Adolfo, Rutherford, Sheets, Zavala are all guys that won’t be contributing to White Sox playoff runs. Burger I am holding out on, I think Rutherford and Adolfo could get you a low prospect with an exceptional skill that needs to be but probably won’t be refined.

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Hmmm to stay up all night and watch baseball and get 0 hours of sleep to go into work or to sleep my normal time and miss the game, hmmm

i think 0 hours of sleep it is. 

My wife doesn’t think I can stay up for the entire game. I am accepting her challenge.

• Haha 2

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Lamb, Hamilton, Adolfo, Rutherford, Sheets, Zavala are all guys that won’t be contributing to White Sox playoff runs. Burger I am holding out on, I think Rutherford and Adolfo could get you a low prospect with an exceptional skill that needs to be but probably won’t be refined.

Yeah looking at it, I would have just gone with Gonzalez instead of Hamilton. Neither should get at bats but at least he's on the 40 man.

Well guys, opening day is my favorite day of the year. It's my one and only true holiday.

As shitty as the offseason was for the White Sox, I'm still excited for this year.

Looking forward to seeing Moncada rise, Roberts struggles and triumphs and finding out what player he will be, Giolito's success, and looking more into Timmy Anderson (legit star?? or flukey good player). Looking to be right in the sense that our depth will be our achilles heel and massive regression from Keuchel will lead to our downfall. 

Let's goooooo!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Sure, but Lamb and Hamilton we knew were on the OD roster and they are the guys they needed to create space for.  I sure as shit wouldn't be happy losing Adolfo, Rutherford or Sheets on a waiver claim or for an A ball loto ticket.  Nor would I forget about them in a week.  Will they be contributors at hte major league level for the Sox?  Maybe not. But not exactly 40 man fat IMO.

Regardless, the point is, the days of having half of the Sox 40 man being expendable trash are gone.  Good thing.  

17 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

25, apparently

15 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Burn this list.

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

No Kidding. Onward and upward.

#25 will always be Jim Thome's number in my ❤️

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Those two are exactly the types teams have on the roster for the playoffs. The speedy pinch runner to steal a base and score the winning run and the LH infielder to pinch hit in the late innings.

I'm very excited to watch Lucas Giolito pitch in a game that matters again. It's such a damn treat. I'm also uneasy about this lineup minus Eloy, could very easily see them missing oomph. I don't really care that Vaughn's not playing today, I don't think it's necessarily a sign of anything since it is Opening Day after all. That being said I don't trust LaRussa so maybe Collins is the primary DH against righties and they don't trust Vaughn enough to start him in LF, I'm just not going to worry about it on Opening Day.

• Like 3

So the Twins are playing in Milwaukee, yet they have a day off tomorrow. Seems like they could have had another team open there for a 4-game series or had their opening day tomorrow.

Also dumb: Rays and Marlins facing each other this weekend where 2 other teams could have opened up.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 2

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

As was explained to me last year they usually try and schedule an off day in case of a snow/rain out on opening day.

I know that and it makes sense. Not in the case of the home team Brewers with a roof however.

Edited by manbearpuig