4-1 GT: CWS @ LAA (9:05 PM CT)

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bummer wasn’t good, but he also wasn’t awful.  Walking Upton was bad.

Gotta give Upton credit for fouling off a bunch of good off-speed pitches. He actually looked really good today.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still don’t get why you’re giving Nick a free pass here?  Bummer wasn’t spectacular, but he got the pitch he needed to have two outs prior to facing Trout and Madrgial fucked it up.  It’s really not fair to expect to pitch around that with two great hitters coming up.

Not a free pass. Nick absolutely partly responsible. Said if before. But the bullpen still blew the game and hilarious given their preseason goal. Like when you make that goal you know some errors are gonna happen.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

The troubling part about Madrigal to me is that there is just not one single thing about baseball that looks easy to him.  None.  It looks like he struggles to run for his size.  Has a terrible batting stand and swing to go with it.  Throws awful.  Pop ups feel adventurous like the one tonight.  Makes dumb decisions.

WTF did every scout see here?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not a free pass. Nick absolutely partly responsible. Said if before. But the bullpen still blew the game and hilarious given their preseason goal.

This reminds me of Jordan Bohannon and Luca Garza talking about Iowa going undefeated this season.

Madrigal's 4000 hits quote isn't going away any time soon...especially if he's going to make game-changing mistakes.  He was supposed to be the player who put pressure on the other team to make mistakes, one of the Piranhas if you go back to the 2001/02-2010 Twins.

Practically the only guarantee for the White Sox is struggling on the West Coast since the 2000 season...except Seattle in recent years.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The troubling part about Madrigal to me is that there is just not one single thing about baseball that looks easy to him.  None.  It looks like he struggles to run for his size.  Has a terrible batting stand and swing to go with it.  Throws awful.  Pop ups feel adventurous like the one tonight.  Makes dumb decisions.

He was surrounded by a super team.  I think he just lets the pressure get to him and the game goes too fast.  Remember how awful he was in the College World Series?

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not a free pass. Nick absolutely partly responsible. Said if before. But the bullpen still blew the game and hilarious given their preseason goal. Like when you make that goal you know some errors are gonna happen.

This feels exactly like complaining about Nick saying he'll get 3000 hits. 

he is young and there is plenty of time.. but so far nick madrigal appears to lack anything it takes to produce winning baseball.

he has no power,.... he is small and slow... and then the worse thing is - to this point his defense is a liablity.

i mean seriously what the fuck?  

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now the Giants are getting in on the action, blowing a huge lead to the Mariners and now in extras.

Maybe we should stay away from any College World Series winner.  Jared Mitchell, now Madrigal. 

Or name recognition.  Beckham and Fulmer had their names plastered throughout every CWS game, it feels.  Then trash at this level.

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Or name recognition.  Beckham and Fulmer had their names plastered throughout every CWS game, it feels.  Then trash at this level.

Or at least pick the right Commodore. Trying to remember if Josh Fields or Joe Borchard were in the CWS. 

Angels fan here,

You guys have an excellent team. That was a hard fought game. My butt cheeks were clenched constantly. 

You guys will win the Central pretty easily I think.

Im just glad people are taking notice the Angels are no joke this year. 

Edited by Bronson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Angels fan here,

You guys have an excellent team. That was a hard fought game. My butt cheeks were clenched constantly. 

I never said that. They're still a joke to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bronson said:

Angels fan here,

The Angels are improved.  Upton, Ohtani and the rest of the rotation will be the keys now that the back end of the bullpen is nails. 

You also have an owner historically willing to spend big time to put a winning product on the field.   That has to pay off eventually as the Astros start to crumble and Mariners/Rangers continue to rebuild. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

LFG!  I'm giving the entire org a freebie in the game thread: no negative posts from me all day.  Don't make me regret that Sox!

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

grandal just has a slow bat too often.

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Madrigal sucks.  Call up Mendick.

Maybe he should STFU about 3K hits?

I can't fucking stand this kid.

😂 

Game threads in a nutshell. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

We can’t lead the league in errors at SS and SB and expect things to be easy for the team

Not a great start but at least the twins and Indians lost too so no ground is lost. 

I hope leury doesn't starts again against righty pitchers. Just risk Vaughn in left until he really blows it. 

Collins didn't get a hit but he didn't strike out again and as long he is keeping that K rate under 25% I think you can pencil him in for 20 Homers and 80 walks if he gets 500 plate appearances. That is not monster production from DH but I still think he is a good platoon DH against lefties but you need to find a way to get Vaughn into the lineup. Collins shouldn't play instead of Vaughn even against righty pitchers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

College usually goes different than what happens at the ML level at first. Asking what they saw seems like a dishonest question. The answer is obvious. They saw a guy who DID play good defense, DID run well, DID hit well, DID grind and force more pitches and DID NOT strike out much. 

Obviously not all that has translated to the majors (yet). I don't believe having exponentially less patience because of a supposed lower ceiling is fair. 

Madrigal usually gives a competitive AB but making a throwing error late in the like he did was unbelievable. It was maybe a 15 foot throw. That cost the game right there. He did stuff like that last year. I’m still not sure how a guy injures a shoulder on a feet first slide like he did last year. He’s an odd player who should be given a season to see if he can have success but there are plenty of second basemen out there that can make every play on D and spray the ball around the field.