2021 MLB Catch-all Thread

flavum

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Dinelson Lamet comes back, throws 29 pitches and leaves the game. Karma catching up to A.J. Preller slowly but surely.

Right forearm tightness.

Another likely surgery candidate.

He joins the startling list of Clevinger, Morejon, Baez in the last 12 months.  Strahm had knee surgery, too, another guy who used to be capable of starting.

They currently have Weathers spot starting, Paddack scuffling since last season but holding on due to attrition and Gore probably the next man up.  Likely still a wild card team, but few teams could survive the loss of three starters and then another Top 75 guy.

Edited by caulfield12

53 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

Brewers complete sweep of Padres without Cain, Yellich and Wong. Crazy impressive pitching 

Padres haven't been able to buy a hit with RISP starting with their series at Pitt last week.   Had bases loaded, down 4-2, no outs in the bottom of the 8th and didn't score a run.

2-7 stretch, and now @ LAD to face the heart of the Dodgers' pitching rotation, with May/Urias the undecided option for the fourth game.

Burnes, Woodruff and Houser are going to do that to a lot of teams...especially first two guys.

Avi Garcia entered red hot and went something like 0 for the series with 8 strikeouts and the Golden Sombrero.

Omar Narvaez is a very strong candidate for NL Player of the Week.  On an absolute tear.  Brewers hit something like 8 or 9 homers in the series.

Something like the third game already this year the bullpen had to cover 7+ innings because of an early starter exit...maybe even four times, would have to look at the box scores again.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

These Dodgers/Padres games have been nuts in terms of overall quality of play, key hits with RISP, high drama, amazing momentum swings and huge defensive plays.

Season series tied up 2-2, with two more to go...including Sunday night with Musgrove/Urias or May.

Both series the top starters lined up...the other two were impressive starts by rookie LHP Weathers, an early savior with all the early pitching injuries.

Padres run away to take 3-2 lead in the season series.  Have now lost 4 of last 5.

Nevertheless, 14-6 for LAD, still best record in baseball by one game over SFG (and A’s, who amazingly went from 1-6 to 13-7).  Five really interesting CA trams this year.  But they’re (Dodgers) kind of in their first tailspin and lost McKinstry and now Knebel, not to mention Bellinger’s cracked fibula.  

Bauer vs. Snell Saturday.

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Really cool indeed, thanks for sharing.  Love sharing my baseball cards from the 70s-80s with my nephews.

Think of Wilbur Wood and Ed Farmer anytime this song comes on.

32 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Really cool indeed, thanks for sharing.  Love sharing my baseball cards from the 70s-80s with my nephews.

Think of Wilbur Wood and Ed Farmer anytime this song comes on.

I guess the majority of mine stretch from 1984-1990.

Fleer, Topps and Donruss.

My dad helped me acquire many older cards for his stamps (traded with a carpool member), so I was able to acquire every Clemente but his rookie card.  Pretty sure I passed up on Mantle and Aaron rookies, but neither was in mint.

• Like 1

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2021/04/23/ratings-growth-popularity-resurgence-good-news-for-mlb-its-broadcasters/

From a familiar voice, sometimes Sox spring training broadcaster Andy Masur

Ratings Growth, Popularity Resurgence Good News For MLB & Its Broadcasters

I know it’s early but baseball is setting records already. The sport many experts have left for dead managed to surprise everyone and hit new highs in viewership. MLB.TV and ESPN saw ratings climb over the first three weeks of the season. Just what does this mean? How does it affect a broadcast and a broadcaster?

According to Major League Baseball, the beginning of the season marked the most-watched 18-day period in the 20-season history of MLB.TV, including the 7 most watched days ever. Viewership was up 43 percent when compared to the same time period of the 2019 season (12 percent up from 2020). The release also indicated that fans have already watched 1.34 billion minutes of live games. ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball and MLB Network saw record viewership in the same period, so it’s not just the streaming aspect that is flying high for the league. 

With baseball trying to gear itself to a younger audience, is an announcer relating well to that segment of the audience? Television broadcasts are trying to help by putting up graphics featuring advanced metrics like “weighted runs created”, “WAR” and of course “spin rate”. This is helping because that’s what these young fans are craving, more and more stats. They want better stats that tell a more impactful story. We old school broadcasters need to take a crash course in the meaning of all of these new numbers, because this is where the next generation of fans is taking the game. 

Some networks have gone as far as producing “secondary” broadcasts that may focus just on StatCast numbers. I’ve even taken part in a few of these telecasts that provide “enhanced” coverage of games. On MLB.com a few years back, from studios in New York, we would watch the MLB Network showcase game and focus mainly on what the numbers meant. What were they telling us? We also used the broadcasts as a teaching tool to allow fans to understand the new terminology. Those broadcasts set the stage for what ESPN and MLB Network are doing with a few baseball broadcasts in a season. 

A few networks are now focusing on the gambling angle of the game. It’s another lure for a younger viewer to get his/her fix of a Major League game with a chance to score themselves. It also makes sense because MLB is partnering with a gambling app, and these broadcasts focus strictly on the “in game” lines and trends and props. This attracts a whole different audience that needs to be served. 

Big bump for Braves-Cubs

Braves-Cubs averaged a 0.9 rating and 1.54 million viewers on ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball last weekend, up a tick in ratings and 25% in viewership from the comparable date in 2019 (4/14/19 Mets-Braves: 0.8, 1.23M). Compared to the third Sunday night game of last year’s delayed, shortened season, ratings jumped 76% and viewership 91% from Indians-White Sox in early August (0.51, 802K).

Shifting to the workweek, Mets-Cubs drew 630,000 viewers on ESPN Tuesday night — the most-watched weekday game since Opening Day.
Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Surprised, but pleased MLB investigated and acted on an incident from seven years ago.

MLB is currently investigating former White Sox minor league manager Omar Vizquel for the reported domestic violence.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-investigating-omar-vizquel-over-domestic-violence-allegations-i-have-never-been-violent-towards-my-wife/

Would also like to see a similar investigation regarding Daryl Boston, Dwight Gooden and Vince Coleman. There was a lengthy article published last year regarding the incident: https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/mets-rape-accusation-spring-training-1991.html

13 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Tough break for the Dodgers. Dustin May just threw a fastball and grimaced pretty bad. Roberts and the trainer took him out. Announcers speculating that it's his arm

Sucks, as he’s fun to watch. Definitely looked like he blew out his elbow.  His velocity was insane this year.