2021 MLB Catch-all Thread

flavum

5 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

Does reaching on the dropped third strike in the 3rd not make this a no-hitter?

MLB At Bat told me it was a perfect game

Edit: it's been changed to a no hitter. Sucks for Means if he gets it and loses the perfect game on a dropped third strike.

Edited by chw42

Hard to believe it has already been 10 years in a deal that definitely didn't live up to any of the hype.  Hopefully Albert can figure out a way in more limited at bats to go out more in style.  Wonder if he retires or if he tries to latch on somewhere.  

1 hour ago, TomPickle said:

This has nothing to do with anything, but I love Corbin Carroll. I'll be shocked if he's not a top 10 prospect this time next year.

At the very least, a cool name.  Corbin Carroll Consumes Corn on the Cob would be quite the alliterative tongue twister, it sounds like a raw Big 12 high school QB prospect.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:43 PM, caulfield12 said:

Love all the doom and gloom articles about a team with a $245 million payroll being challenged by the loss of a single starter when they still have Kershaw/Bauer/Buehler/Urias/Gonsolin.

The doom and gloom is accompanied by a team that has dropped into third place after losing him.  1-6 since this post 

I still can't believe the Mariners gave Evan White 24 million guaranteed.  He looks like a guy that will be out of baseball in a few years.  -.8 fWAR now in his career and a wRC+ of 56.  Just another horrific evaluation by their scouts and staff.  At best he was always just going to be a 2 WAR 1B there was nothing in his profile that screamed "buy out this guy's arb years".  In fact, not only did they stupidly buy out his arb years, now they almost have to keep him on the MLB roster when he should be demoted to AAA to try and salvage something of his mechanics.

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

WE CAN'T HAVE THE DH IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE, PITCHERS NEED TO HIT! 

They should have automatic outs just like intentional walks at the very least if there isn't a DH.Save both pitchers from doing that lol

32 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I still can't believe the Mariners gave Evan White 24 million guaranteed.  He looks like a guy that will be out of baseball in a few years.  -.8 fWAR now in his career and a wRC+ of 56.  Just another horrific evaluation by their scouts and staff.  At best he was always just going to be a 2 WAR 1B there was nothing in his profile that screamed "buy out this guy's arb years".  In fact, not only did they stupidly buy out his arb years, now they almost have to keep him on the MLB roster when he should be demoted to AAA to try and salvage something of his mechanics.

How do people feel about the Mariners up there? They haven't looked to bad at all, at the very least offensively and Kelenic is coming up. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

How do people feel about the Mariners up there? They haven't looked to bad at all, at the very least offensively and Kelenic is coming up. 

It's complicated because they are sorta the "lovable losers" of Seattle at this point.  They don't really have any assholes on the club and in fact have some cool stories like Kikuchi and Hanniger and Seager but they also are one of the worst run franchises in all of pro sports and their former CEO Kevin Mather made some at best incredibly frustrating comments (from a fan's POV) about how cheap they are and at worst they were mildly racist towards Japanese players -- you know, one of the only fucking good things they have done the last 20 years is that pipeline, why not try and trash it!

All that said, nobody really expects them to do much this year or anytime soon and people are clinging to Kelenic as a reason to keep tuning in this season.  At best I think some people might be optimistic they could form a decent 88 wins or so club in the future.  Their "hot start" was really just flukey bullpen pitching and now that they are 18-18 the warts are showing up.  It's a mediocre lineup at best and a pretty bad pitching staff.  Defensively they are decent but that's not nearly enough.  I'd expect them to once again finish around 75 wins.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's complicated because they are sorta the "lovable losers" of Seattle at this point.  They don't really have any assholes on the club and in fact have some cool stories like Kikuchi and Hanniger and Seager but they also are one of the worst run franchises in all of pro sports and their former CEO Kevin Mather made some at best incredibly frustrating comments (from a fan's POV) about how cheap they are and at worst they were mildly racist towards Japanese players -- you know, one of the only fucking good things they have done the last 20 years is that pipeline, why not try and trash it!

All that said, nobody really expects them to do much this year or anytime soon and people are clinging to Kelenic as a reason to keep tuning in this season.  At best I think some people might be optimistic they could form a decent 88 wins or so club in the future.  Their "hot start" was really just flukey bullpen pitching and now that they are 18-18 the warts are showing up.  It's a mediocre lineup at best and a pretty bad pitching staff.  Defensively they are decent but that's not nearly enough.  I'd expect them to once again finish around 75 wins.

Just wondering about the local feel, they got some good young position players but yea the FO looks like a clown show especially with the leaked comments from the team prez. I agree with you though they are still a couple years from truly being at that make or break point with their young guys.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

WE CAN'T HAVE THE DH IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE, PITCHERS NEED TO HIT! 

MLB correctly fixed this last season, but then ownership reversed it to extract a 16 + team playoff farce.

Hoping this is the last season, but not before Dylan Cease hits for the cycle.  :shades

Yesterday around the 6th inning of the Sox game I was thinking about the three batter rule for some reason. What would prevent a pitcher from arguing a ball call to get thrown out of the game? It's a bush league move but in a high stakes situation may be helpful.