2021 MLB Catch-all Thread

flavum

20 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

In least shocking news of the season... 

I hope he's ok.  Despite being a Cub, I've always found Rizzo to be a very likable dude.  But his stance on the vaccine was really dangerous, especially considering how high risk he is as a cancer survivor.

5 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

I hope he's ok.  Despite being a Cub, I've always found Rizzo to be a very likable dude.  But his stance on the vaccine was really dangerous, especially considering how high risk he is as a cancer survivor.

Or, that was the reason he was more leery about it?

• Like 1

An all time great man and pitcher passed on Sunday. J.R. Richard was 71 years old, and survived a stroke for over four decades.

Richard, who'd had a dynamite start to the 1980 season, complained of some arm issues as the year went on, as well as ringing in his ears and blood spots on the tips of his fingers. His complaints were ignored by the team, which refused to shut him down, and interpreted as laziness or grumbling by the Houston media. Some believed he was jealous of Nolan Ryan's contract, and others thought he was just whining. 

It wasn't either of those things. Richard's dead arm worsened in mid-July, becoming so numb that he couldn't grip a baseball. He went on the disabled list and checked himself into a hospital to figure out the cause. While the arteries in his pitching arm were almost completely blocked, doctors decided he didn't need surgery. Just five days later, Richard had a massive stroke during practice and collapsed on the field. He never pitched in the majors again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

My understanding, and this is based on having a mom who is much more knowledgable about this stuff than me and also having a friend who had the same Cancer Rizzo had but had it much more recently, is that he should get vaccinated.  My friend got vaccinated as soon as he could and he's only three years clear.  I think given the fact that Rizzo is twelve years removed and he's a professional athlete who has to keep his body in peek physical condition, I think he likely will be more or less ok.  But that he still remains pretty high risk.  Who knows.  Maybe he has since been vaccinated.

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

My friend currently undergoing leukemia treatment got the vaccine at the advice of her doctors, because the delta variant isn't meant to be fucked around with.

MLB instant replay confirms, Rockies fans are less racist than Cub fans.

Cubs staff immediately jump the person recording the Cub fans taunting the fans with racial slurs (the four letter S word), and the Cubs security standing by and smiling.

"No recording (our racist Cub fans), this is private property. You don't have permission to record (our racist fan base)."

So was at the Padres Marlins game two nights ago and Zach Thompson has a sub 3 era for the Marlins. Name sounded familiar - yep - another Sox castaway pitching alright (in a long line of castaways). Don’t know whether it will hold up but he pitched solid against pads. Small sample size still (50 ish innings this year).