2021 MLB Catch-all Thread

flavum

Marcell Ozuna arrested for domestic violence against his wife.

Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna was arrested Saturday after Sandy Springs officers reported seeing him choke his wife, throw her against a wall and strike her with the cast on his broken fingers.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-braves-marcell-ozuna-arrested-by-sandy-springs-police/UNGRREUJENFB7G25UA6LAQHXMA/

I hate to go there as that could fuel racists but do we have to talk about the fact that 13 out of the 16 suspended players for DV have been Latino players (the other three Norris, dyson and Wright have been white)?

Obviously Latinos are not more violent intrinsically than white or black Americans but I wonder whether the low education level of Latin players (mlb takes them out of school at age 16) contributes to that. Maybe mlb has to Re think the sign at 16 model

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-mets-diamondbacks-announcer-bob-brenly-mocks-marcus-stromans-durag-130405808.html

Has a history of comments...seems suspiciously like a recent SoxTalk thread about Yermin’s gold chains.

Was going to ask, because I swore I remembered him saying some stupid shit before.

Meanwhile...

*Sigh*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scary play with a collision between Pham and Kim today.

Cub haters here will appreciate the fact the dropped ball ended up resulting in a double play, as the runners on 1st and 2nd stayed on their bases, resulting in a 6-5-4 DP while players watched the injured players.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/video/kim-pham-collide-on-popup?q=TeamId%20%3D%3D%20%5B135%5D%20Order%20By%20Timestamp%20DESC&cp=CMS_FIRST&p=0

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-mets-diamondbacks-announcer-bob-brenly-mocks-marcus-stromans-durag-130405808.html

Has a history of comments...seems suspiciously like a recent SoxTalk thread about Yermin’s gold chains.

Or the “Gang Banging” Ricky Renteria.

Lots of racists everywhere, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It's hard to believe this was just a poor case of judgment because this isn't the first time Brenly has questioned the choices of a minority player. In 2019, he said Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr., who is Dominican, would be able to run the bases better without the "bike chain" he wears on his neck. 

Personally don't believe Brenly should continue as a ML Announcer.

The story also contains a link to Stroman's twitter feed, with the tweet below and another you can click in the article where someone responded twice to Stroman's message below calling Stroman the n word twice. Stroman stated he gets messages like this more often than people can comprehend, and implores young athletes who encounter this to never let outside hate sway your internal mentality, and to Rise Above!

I'm interested in how his former partner Len Kasper will broach this during the next White Sox radio broadcast.

In an unrelated note, looking for a twitter comment by Len regarding Brenly's comments, I came across notification Len and Jason will have Rick Hahn on an upcoming new podcast.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Almost a week later, Brenly offered another bizarre remark when he commented on Padres shortstop Fernando Tatís Jr.'s necklace during a broadcast, saying, “It might be easier to run the bases if he didn’t have that bike chain around his neck.”

Tatis shrugged off the comments when asked about them afterward.

“I just laugh about it,” he told reporters. “I don’t know what he’s thinking about it but I just find [the chain] fun. It’s part of me, its part of my game, it’s part of Latin culture.”

Stroman also took the opportunity Wednesday to promote his apparel company, which offers durags in three colorways.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/02/marcus-stroman-bob-brenly-racist-remark/

• Like 1

Kelenic watch: 111/120/222 wOBA of .197, wRC+ of 25 -- but on a positive his expected wOBA is .277! Fangraphs not a fan of his glove so far either, -.7 runs in LF for a total of -.5 fWAR in 25 games.  That's some impressive suck and a -6 fWAR full season pace.  Yikes.

Historically bad:

lmao, and one of the other five is Evan White last year.  Fucking Mariners man.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

21 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kelenic watch: 111/120/222 wOBA of .197, wRC+ of 25 -- but on a positive his expected wOBA is .277! Fangraphs not a fan of his glove so far either, -.7 runs in LF for a total of -.5 fWAR in 25 games.  That's some impressive suck and a -6 fWAR full season pace.  Yikes.

Historically bad:

Kind of shocked that Robin Ventura wasn't on this list after his start.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Historically bad:

Didn’t Lewis also get hurt again, meniscus?

Guess they’ll now foolishly hold onto Haniger until he gets hurt again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Didn’t Lewis also get hurt again, meniscus?

Guess they’ll now foolishly hold onto Haniger until he gets hurt again.

Yes same knee Kyle has already had major surgery on.  Not great.  I love him too, it was disappointing to say the least.  And yes, they will foolishly overhold on Hanniger for "leadership" reasons or some shit.  He will probably get hurt before they can get good value for him.