4-2 GT: CWS @ LAA (8:38 PM CT)

TheTruth05

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

For an embarrassingly long time I thought when announcers said “defensive indifference” it was just their own commentary and not a baseball term.

Years ago at Chicagofest at Navy Pier I was surprised at how many stages an obviously very versatile band named TBA was playing at that day 🤔

9 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Cubs broadcast without Kasper is awful.

I watched part of their home opener and I totally concur....their tv duo is awful.

Edited by wegner

Here's a nice thing to think about:

The Sox defense was shit and gave up 3 unearned runs with the potential to give up more, and Hendriks looked like shit, and in total the team gave up 8 runs, but the Sox have so much more talent on their roster than the opposing team -- which also has Trout, Ohtani, Rendon, and Pujols hitting in a row and certainly isn't starved for talent -- that they can even have an absolute shit game like this and still win it.

I think the most telling good signs are that part, and of course Foster and Kopech specifically out of the pen.  This is a team that can conceivably pull a starter in the 4th down by 6 and still walk away with a win.  It's the most talent they've had in many, many, many years.  And I do think they'll need it because I don't trust their SP outside of Giolito, though I am in love with Cease's potential and hope this is a real growth year for him.  But I've seen the Rodon thing way too many times to be optimistic, and I think today's Dallas is probably more like the Dallas going forward than last year's Dallas, and I think Lynn is a #3 at best, whose years in TX were an aberration.  But they can still win it all, in theory, just by having arguably the best and most complete offense in baseball and perhaps easily the best bullpen in all of baseball.

These games feel like playoff games.  Baseball is fun again.  It is crazy that you can see something you have never seen before every time you watch a game.  What if Mercedes keeps raking?  Talk about a story.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Cubs broadcast without Kasper is awful.

Boog is a real piece of work.  There's a quote from him in an Athletic article about not wanting to put "dumb" IIRC stats on the broadcast.  He's a pure advanced stats guy who thinks he's smarter than the viewer at home, and he's so unaware of it he makes comments like that.  No personality, no charisma, his stories suck... this may be the worst PBP guy in baseball.

Actually just the other day I was thinking the following: "Maybe now Cubs fans can understand what it was like to swap John Rooney for Chris Singleton."  Except Boog is even worse than a green and clearly uncomfortable Singleton getting handfed from Farmer for a whole year.  I mean he's really beyond terrible.

1 minute ago, 102605 said:

These games feel like playoff games.  Baseball is fun again.  It is crazy that you can see something you have never seen before every time you watch a game.  What if Mercedes keeps raking?  Talk about a story.

He gets Cobb salad tomorrow night. Team should score 8 in the first few innings

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Boog is a real piece of work.  There's a quote from him in an Athletic article about not wanting to put "dumb" IIRC stats on the broadcast.  He's a pure advanced stats guy who thinks he's smarter than the viewer at home, and he's so unaware of it he makes comments like that.  No personality, no charisma, his stories suck... this may be the worst PBP guy in baseball.

Actually just the other day I was thinking the following: "Maybe now Cubs fans can understand what it was like to swap John Rooney for Chris Singleton."  Except Boog is even worse than a green and clearly uncomfortable Singleton getting handfed from Farmer for a whole year.  I mean he's really beyond terrible.

Who cares about the Cubs?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I liked the national radio broadcast of Boog and Singleton. TV, and local broadcasts (radio and TV) are a different animal, he’ll likely adjust over time. 

I do like advanced stats, though for a broadcast you have a wider audience to consider.

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

I liked the national radio broadcast of Boog and Singleton. TV, and local broadcasts (radio and TV) are a different animal, he’ll likely adjust over time. 

I do like advanced stats, though for a broadcast you have a wider audience to consider.

If he's going to call Kris Bryant "KB" to "fit in" while also making sure to remind the viewer at home that stats like batting average, ERA, pitcher wins, etc. (presumably) are all dumb, then he's missing the boat by a mile, and definitely doesn't know the fan base or any fan base for that matter.

On a slightly different note, as a baseball fan, I know I can go read all that shit on fangraphs if I want to.  But on a baseball broadcast, I like hearing former players talk about situations and how the game is played.  I want a player's view of the game, not a statistician-who-never-played's view of how I should interpret how they think the game is supposed to be played based upon their algorithms or whatever.

Also these people like Boog really need to get the picture of a guy sitting at home with a beer in his hand who spent all day working and now is just trying to relax.  He probably doesn't want to hear some ugly fat charmless ESPN hatchling spit stats speak all night.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

If he's going to call Kris Bryant "KB" to "fit in" while also making sure to remind the viewer at home that stats like batting average, ERA, pitcher wins, etc. (presumably) are all dumb, then he's missing the boat by a mile, and definitely doesn't know the fan base or any fan base for that matter.

On a slightly different note, as a baseball fan, I know I can go read all that shit on fangraphs if I want to.  But on a baseball broadcast, I like hearing former players talk about situations and how the game is played.  I want a player's view of the game, not a statistician-who-never-played's view of how I should interpret how they think the game is supposed to be played based upon their algorithms or whatever.

Also these people like Boog really need to get the picture of a guy sitting at home with a beer in his hand who spent all day working and now is just trying to relax.  He probably doesn't want to hear some ugly fat charmless ESPN hatchling spit stats speak all night.

Greg775/Joe The Plumber likes this post.

7 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

He's fucking brutal. Dry as a wood board. He also has really stupid ideas too. Wants games to be 7 innings instead of 9. A lot of play by play guys think boog is ass too