What we learned from Opening Day

Just now, fathom said:

If the org was really shopping him this offseason, then they see the weaknesses as well

It seems like Bohm could make 40+ errors for the Phillies too, but man does that Kelenic miss (from Wisconsin of all places) hurt even more right now.  It’s not like we were 100% set in future MLB outfields at the time, and having the tools to play an above average CF made (and make him) 5-10x more valuable than Madrigal.

I liked the pick at the time, have defended him pretty consistently...but that’s just a simple play that needs to be made.  Take your time, don’t rush, know that you’re not going to get a faster than average LH hitter in Ohtani at first no matter what happens at second.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Badrigal's problem is that he is being annointed as a King too quickly. He needs to earn those stripes and let the game come to him. He has shown elite defense everywhere, but this is the Show, so things are a little different. Let the game slow down and perfect the fundamentals first, then talk big game. And I'm kidding with Badrigal, I just wanted to use it. 

Can't really blame them.  The internet wannabe scouts said what everyone wanted to hear.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Giolito looked really good, but it did seem like he used a lot of energy early.  That's to be expected, and I'm glad he was hyped.  Striking out the side in the first was awesome, and that changeup to Trout to end the inning was gross.  TLR made a good decision to pull Gio when he did.  Something we wouldn't have seen last year.

Yoan looks much better than he did last year.  Certainly seems like he was heavily affected by COVID last year.

Adam Eaton, at least for a game, made us thankful that he has returned and has proven to already be better than Mazara.

Madrigal needs to get his shit together.  His yips from the wild card series have carried over.

It sucks to lose game 1, but it's one game out of 162+.  This team is loaded with talent and will be one of the best teams in the AL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Late game blunders, early Donaldson injury make for sour Twins loss in opener

Neal: Through one game, Twins were wrong about having defense covered

Donaldson gets Twins' first hit, then leaves with hamstring injury”

headlines from Minneapolis Star-Tribune sports page

We learned fans are also (rightfully) miffed in Minnesota and Cleveland...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Giolito looked really good, but it did seem like he used a lot of energy early.  That's to be expected, and I'm glad he was hyped.  Striking out the side in the first was awesome, and that changeup to Trout to end the inning was gross.  TLR made a good decision to pull Gio when he did.  Something we wouldn't have seen last year.

Yoan looks much better than he did last year.  Certainly seems like he was heavily affected by COVID last year.

Adam Eaton, at least for a game, made us thankful that he has returned and has proven to already be better than Mazara.

Madrigal needs to get his shit together.  His yips from the wild card series have carried over.

It sucks to lose game 1, but it's one game out of 162+.  This team is loaded with talent and will be one of the best teams in the AL.

I actually thought giolito showed how scary good he is because his fastball command was awful, he couldn't throw a slider near the plate, but his change up is so good he was able to dominate most of the game despite those two big issues.

• Like 1

Frankly, that was the very first gamethread of the regular season and I'm already contemplating just not participating in them. The knee jerk reaction garbage, double standards and absurd presumptions I saw about multiple things was so ridiculous. And I'm the one who gets attacked for being too negative around here. Jesus, after seeing that thread last night it just highlights the common human tendency of lack of self-awareness.

Edited by RagahRagah

5 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

We learned that the offense continues to struggle against right handed pitching. That needs to get cleaned up asap. 

Struggle isn't fair but they were very, very average against RHP last year and that's why the Eloy injury scared the crap out of me as he was one of the guys that hit them very well.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I actually thought giolito showed how scary good he is because his fastball command was awful, he couldn't throw a slider near the plate, but his change up is so good he was able to dominate most of the game despite those two big issues.

He was over throwing it looked like to me.  When Gio gets amped you can literally see it on his face.  

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Frankly, that was the very first gamethread of the regular season and I'm already contemplating just not participating in them. The knee jerk reaction garbage, double standards and absurd presumptions I saw about multiple things was so ridiculous. And I'm the one who gets attacked for being too negative around here. Jesus, after seeing that thread last night it just highlights the common human tendency of lack of self-awareness.

Hey everybody, let's talk about ME!

Me! Me! Me!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

ha, pal the positive/non-reactionary people are typically slandered in game threads. Just the way it goes. Emotions run high in there, people on the edge of their seat like it's an NFL Sunday. I find it all pretty hilarious, entertaining and fun. I enjoy reading the overreactions and then the attacking comments in response. I would say if they get you fired up, you're best sitting on the sidelines. Yesterday's thread was tame compared to some of the others. If you just read game threads last year, Rick Renteria lost 20 of the games for the team apparently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Your what hurts??

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I learned that I can't stay up past 930 anymore so I'll see you guys on saturday.

Me too. As bad as that is to say at 30 years old that's where I'm at. I fell asleep right after the Yoan double. 

I remember posters ranting on Moncada for his defense. And, quite frankly, his first two seasons were awful defensively. But he improved even after moving to a more difficult defensive position. I still believe Madrigal will improve considerably defensively despite what we’ve seen so far in 33 career big league games.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I remember posters ranting on Moncada for his defense. And, quite frankly, his first two seasons were awful defensively. But he improved even after moving to a more difficult defensive position. I still believe Madrigal will improve considerably defensively despite what we’ve seen so far in 33 career big league games.

Moncada finished 2nd in 3B GG voting last year. IIRC. Chapman is tough competition. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The difference is third base is not Moncada’s natural position, it’s SS, so his third position (although pretty sure he briefly debuted there in BOS since the two middle infield spots were already spoken for.)  Whereas Madrigal has been a 2B almost exclusively since Oregon State because of the presence of Cade Grenier there. 

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I learned that I can't stay up past 930 anymore so I'll see you guys on saturday.

I'm the opposite end of the coin here.  I stayed out until after the game was over and now I'm just dying at work today.  Not fun.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And since the White Sox are in a rebuilding season, it doesn’t matter if his defense and base running costs this team a few games.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

I'm the opposite end of the coin here.  I stayed out until after the game was over and now I'm just dying at work today.  Not fun.

My current job starts at 7:30 eastern time.

Feel like death right now.

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I don't know that sounds a lot more fun.

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

Stayed up to the end, but no 🍺 was had as I have to work today.

Oh, and I’m Eastern time. So Nyah.

• bmags locked this topic