What we learned from Opening Day

42 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean he wears the protector so he can slide head first, and there's injury risk sure but you can't zap that value from his game imo 

Agreed. He can get injured stealing at any point theoretically. But he single handedly scored a run last night with his speed. He needs to use it, as he did. 

Edited by ron883

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How does anyone listen to talk radio? Hopped in the car to grab lunch, 670 was on and all I heard was Lawrence Holmes talking about how dumb Robert was for stealing 3rd base because the process and thought was poor, even though the outcome was good. 

Lol

Guy was safe by a mile and then scored on a passed ball but somehow that was a bad and stupid decision. 

Haters gonna hate. 

Baseball fundamentals don’t go out the window because a dumb play “worked”.

Unless there is a ball goes to the backstop, do not a steal third with two outs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Steve Stone said the same thing on the broadcast. 

Stone said it before Robert scored and then was silent after he scored.

It's just flat out stupid. I agree stealing third with 2 outs isn't the best choice for 99% of players. For Robert, it's simply not true. He's an elite base stealer with 80 grade speed and him getting to third legit has an impact on the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Haters gonna hate. 

Baseball fundamentals don’t go out the window because a dumb play “worked”.

Unless there is a ball goes to the backstop, do not a steal third with two outs.

If you are a player who is an elite base runner with elite speed and you have a read on the pitcher that guarantees you'll be safe (which was quite obvious from Robert last night) you take the extra base. Stealing third base is much easier than 2nd base. Self producing a run is an elite skill that 99.9% of players cannot do. If you can, and you refuse to because of some nonsensical arbitrary "you can't do this because others can't" rule, you are literally taking away one of your skills.

I am not shocked that you think Robert made a poor decision though; you strike me as that type of baseball viewer.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's just flat out stupid. I agree stealing third with 2 outs isn't the best choice for 99% of players. For Robert, it's simply not true. He's an elite base stealer with 80 grade speed and him getting to third legit has an impact on the game.

It's one of the ways the Sox are going to "change the game." La Russa, no matter what people think of him, is going to use what he has on the roster to do things that people wouldn't necessarily expect and force things to happen. Sometimes they will work and make him look smart, other times they'll make people scream "I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE HIRED AJ HINCH!"

TLR didn't become a HOF manager by playing by the rules all the time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I get that idea that he can already score from second on a base hit with his speed. But if you have a guy throwing breaking pitches in the dirt or you can get a huge a jump on him, it's different.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If you are a player who is an elite base runner with elite speed and you have a read on the pitcher that guarantees you'll be safe (which was quite obvious from Robert last night) you take the extra base. Self producing a run is an elite skill that 99.9% of players cannot do. If you can, and you refuse to because of some nonsensical arbitrary "you can't do this because others can't" rule, you are literally taking away one of your skills.

I am not shocked that you think Robert made a poor decision though; you strike me as that type of baseball viewer.

Yes, Steve Stone, who also criticized the play, Laurence Holmes and I are ignorant baseball viewers. 

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, Steve Stone, who also criticized the play, Laurence Holmes and I are ignorant baseball viewers. 

Yes, Steve Stone was 100% wrong. I don't defer to what you deem to be authority on baseball.

Amazingly enough I played the game, and I know people who played the game at an even higher level than myself, and some feel one way about it and other feels another. Everyone doesn't agree. I think it's flat out ignorant to criticize Robert for using one of his other worldly skills to produce a run.

Steve Stone has plenty of dumb thoughts, and who gives a shit what Laurence Holmes thinks lol?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

As a team and as a player nothing wrong with  being aggressive and taking it to the other team when you can. It can get you the lead, set the tone, and place the other team on the defensive.  Stay thirsty my friends...for aggressive winning baseball.  I think we will see more of it under TLaR than we did with Rick Rentalria.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Of all people, if you think that I'm disappointed. It's not that at all. I'm trying to get people to understand where they are cherry picking who and what they are applying their logic to. 

But yes, I am annoyed that some (not a giant many, honestly, IMO) people see fit to vilify me when they engage in a certain behavior far more than they accuse me of doing and fail to see the differences. And I have every right to be.

I won't apologize for having the need to try to make sense rather than just be self absorbed and oblivious. 

More to the point: I get that bad play will illicit frustration and I'm not new to gamethreads but last night was ridiculous; like a room full of scorned grade school kids.

You should ask those scorned grade school kids if "illicit" and "elicit" were on their last vocab tests.

• Haha 2

• bmags locked this topic