MLB to move All Star Game, Draft out of Atlanta due to GA Voting Law

Balta1701

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Good news.  It's a shame for the city of Atlanta, but it's the right thing to do.

MLB says they are already working on an alternate city.  It'll be interesting to see where it lands.

Just play the ASG where it was supposed to be played in 2020 since they got skipped.

Election integrity is a big issue in this country, especially since we have 50 states + DC, all with their own independent election laws.  Both the 2016 and 2020 Elections were publicly questioned, whether it was Democrats claiming Trump worked with Russia in 2016 or in 2020 the claims from Trump's side claiming fraud with mail-in ballots and electronic voting devices.

I see this bill as a measure to secure elections in the US.  Voter ID laws, despite claims of the left, are not "voter suppression". The MLB is free to do as they choose but this is similar to the NBA overreacting to bathroom laws in NC a few years ago.  These leagues typically cave to public pressure, and quite frankly, so do most public figures who get caught in some sort up political windstorm.

Delta, for example, requires ID to board a plane but their chairman seems to have an issue with voters being required to provide ID. Go Figure.

Unfortunately, this is the way of our country in 2021, but so be it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Election integrity is a big issue in this country, especially since we have 50 states + DC, all with their own independent election laws.  Both the 2016 and 2020 Elections were publicly questioned, whether it was Democrats claiming Trump worked with Russia in 2016 or in 2020 the claims from Trump's side claiming fraud with mail-in ballots and electronic voting devices.

I see this bill as a measure to secure elections in the US.  Voter ID laws, despite claims of the left, are not "voter suppression". The MLB is free to do as they choose but this is similar to the NBA overreacting to bathroom laws in NC a few years ago.  These leagues typically cave to public pressure, and quite frankly, so do most public figures who get caught in some sort up political windstorm.

Delta, for example, requires ID to board a plane but their chairman seems to have an issue with voters being required to provide ID. Go Figure.

This is correct.  Manfred caved based on Democrat disinformation talking points. There is nothing racist about requiring ID to vote. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, pcq said:

I am pleased they took a stand. In the NFL this would cue fans saying they would no longer spend their trillions at the games.

Go look on social media.  Plenty of fans proclaiming to never watch a baseball game again.

7 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The country should just split into 2.  There will never be common ground both sides are too far apart. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

This is correct.  Manfred caved based on Democrat disinformation talking points. There is nothing racist about requiring ID to vote. 

Right or wrong, I don't think they really give a shit. It's just a good opportunity to virtue signal. 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

When did it become a right for you to fly anywhere? Which amendment does that fall under? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 4

12 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

This is not a "Voter ID law". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

For some communities the nearest DMV can be an hour drive away and only open during working hours and if you don't own a car you're basically out of luck if you want to get an ID. If you're so concerned about "election integrity" then push for a free ID to be given upon registration and make voter registration automatic.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

This is not a "Voter ID law". 

Making it illegal to provide food and water to voters in line has nothing to do with showing an ID.  Nor does limiting drop boxes, making it harder to do absentee voting...the list goes on and on.  This is a restrictive voting law.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

The only thing I'll say on this: as someone that worked in electoral politics -- the public badly misunderstands how elections are secure even without showing ID at the polls.  The major conflation is that voter roll database errors create potential for fraud without ID.  They don't, for various reasons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The country should just split into 2.  There will never be common ground both sides are too far apart. 

Unfortunately, I feel more and more that something like this is becoming a reality.  I never would have said this two years ago but I do believe it's true.

We are so polarized and I place the majority of the blame on social media.  If you have not watched the "Social Dilemma" on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Cubs haven’t hosted one in 31 years. NL city. Just sayin’.

"The MLB has decided to move the all-star game due to historical racist emails from the father of the Cub's owner"

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

This is very well said.

Also, whatever the political issue happens to be, I find individuals in leadership positions in companies pushing their personal beliefs out through their professional offices to be absolutely despicable (i.e. Manfred saying "MLB supports or opposes..." rather than "I, Rob Manfred, support or oppose...").  Many people make up MLB, all with differing views, so don't say MLB the entity supports or opposes anything.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, hogan873 said:

Making it illegal to provide food and water to voters in line has nothing to do with showing an ID.  Nor does limiting drop boxes, making it harder to do absentee voting...the list goes on and on.  This is a restrictive voting law.

Nothing is allowed to be handed out in voting lines in many states within a certain distance of the poll location.  This is due to an attempt to avoid voters being harassed by campaigners.  Food and water are not exclusively banned from being handed out, all items are.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• bmags pinned, unpinned and locked this topic