MLB to move All Star Game, Draft out of Atlanta due to GA Voting Law

Balta1701

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Cubs haven’t hosted one in 31 years. NL city. Just sayin’.

yeah this kinda makes sense and I'd bet they were a shoe-in for post-LA... I think. Whoever was next.

4 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

For some communities the nearest DMV can be an hour drive away and only open during working hours and if you don't own a car you're basically out of luck if you want to get an ID. If you're so concerned about "election integrity" then push for a free ID to be given upon registration and make voter registration automatic.

Some states like my home state(Texas) won't take school IDs. But they'll take CHLs. It's not a all ID is welcome format. It's very very specific for a reason. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

For some communities the nearest DMV can be an hour drive away and only open during working hours and if you don't own a car you're basically out of luck if you want to get an ID. If you're so concerned about "election integrity" then push for a free ID to be given upon registration and make voter registration automatic.

Every United States citizen should get a free ID. Biden should include it in his infrastructure package. They could modernize existing DMVs and build new ones if needed.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Probably safe to say at this point that Atlanta is out of the running for future Super Bowls and Final Fours as well. Things would get very interesting if enough golfers banded together to put pressure on the Masters.

No.  This will blow over in a few months when there's a new hot topic to be outraged about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

This is correct.  Manfred caved based on Democrat disinformation talking points. There is nothing racist about requiring ID to vote. 

If manfred makes a decision on something the opposite side of the decision is probably the most well thought out side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

That's a false equivalency. But we both know that.

Your right your comparison was dumb. Acting like voting which is a right under the United States Constitution and getting on a plane for pleasure that showing ID for both of those is remotely the same. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Your right your comparison was dumb. Acting like voting which is a right under the United States Constitution and getting on a plane for pleasure that showing ID for both of those is remotely the same. 

So, just to clarify.  You believe ID should not be required to vote. Is that correct?

Some fans don't like their baseball mixed with politics. For instance I know NOTHING about the issue at hand here. I'm sick of politics and trying to ignore all politics for a while. Too bad for Atlanta. Move the game to Chicago, the greatest city in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

This sucks for all the restaurant and bar owners/employees that had these dates circled on their calendar.  Not sure why they should be punished for this.

It's not like they have had a rough past year. Screw em

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Some fans don't like their baseball mixed with politics. For instance I know NOTHING about the issue at hand here. I'm sick of politics and trying to ignore all politics for a while. Too bad for Atlanta. Move the game to Chicago, the greatest city in the world.

Great idea! No ID required here and a person can vote early and often!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is not a "Voter ID law". 

OK, I'm game. What is this law about?

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The only thing I'll say on this: as someone that worked in electoral politics -- the public badly misunderstands how elections are secure even without showing ID at the polls.  The major conflation is that voter roll database errors create potential for fraud without ID.  They don't, for various reasons.

I'd also like to read more about this, from someone who has worked in this area. IMO, too often the media's slant colors how a story is reported, so this is a rare opportunity for us to hear it from someone who has first-hand experience.

Thanks in advance, to both of you.

42 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

This is correct.  Manfred caved based on Democrat disinformation talking points. There is nothing racist about requiring ID to vote. 

What difference does it make if it’s racist. Voter suppression is voter suppression either way

35 minutes ago, flavum said:

Cubs haven’t hosted one in 31 years. NL city. Just sayin’.

Taking it away from Georgia because of restrictive voting laws passed by Republicans and then giving it to the kids of the RNC Finance Chair would be very odd.

This is a good, minimum step. The ASG is honoring Hank Aaron, a man who got a lot of death threats due to his race.  I find it refreshing that MLB chose not to make that ceremony hollow and meaningless.  I follow this stuff pretty closely for work, so my opinions are both informed and unshakeable.  I'll say no more out of respect for the forum.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

So, states must give ID's out for free? And DMV's/state facilities must be everywhere? I guess ID's must be mailed to voters then free of charge? Because Voting is supposed to be hurdle-less. Ease of voting is supposed to be essential.

What if you can't afford an ID? Or a car to get to the DMV? What then?

If ID's were given/mailed to every single citizen for free then fine.

The fact is, voter fraud via not using an ID is next to nonexistent, and the people who suffer most from these laws are poor people and minorities. Why should they not be allowed to vote because of the hurdles in their way of acquiring an ID.

Can you show me where it says an ID should be required to vote in the Constitution. All voting ID laws do is suppress voter turnout. Why do you want fewer people to vote, pal?

TIA

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• bmags pinned, unpinned and locked this topic