MLB to move All Star Game, Draft out of Atlanta due to GA Voting Law

Balta1701

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

This is a good, minimum step. The ASG is honoring Hank Aaron, a man who got a lot of death threats due to his race.  I find it refreshing that MLB chose not to make that ceremony hollow and meaningless.  I follow this stuff pretty closely for work, so my opinions are both informed and unshakeable.  I'll say no more out of respect for the forum.

Here’s where I struggle a bit here. Whether you believe this dishonors Aaron will depend on if you think this is Georgia’s all star game or Atlanta’s. Because I’m not sure there is a better city to honor Aaron honor than Atlanta and it’s people in 2021.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Election integrity is a big issue in this country, especially since we have 50 states + DC, all with their own independent election laws.  Both the 2016 and 2020 Elections were publicly questioned, whether it was Democrats claiming Trump worked with Russia in 2016 or in 2020 the claims from Trump's side claiming fraud with mail-in ballots and electronic voting devices.

I see this bill as a measure to secure elections in the US.  Voter ID laws, despite claims of the left, are not "voter suppression". The MLB is free to do as they choose but this is similar to the NBA overreacting to bathroom laws in NC a few years ago.  These leagues typically cave to public pressure, and quite frankly, so do most public figures who get caught in some sort up political windstorm.

Delta, for example, requires ID to board a plane but their chairman seems to have an issue with voters being required to provide ID. Go Figure.

Unfortunately, this is the way of our country in 2021, but so be it.

This is statistically and categorically false.

Any restriction placed on voting requirements limits turnout. The poor, rural and minorities communities are the ones who suffer the most from this suppression.

Voting fraud has no direct correlation to ease of voting laws.

Delta requires an ID to board a plane because they're a private company. Not a country that is supposed to provide the right to vote as a basic human right but DOES NOT provide an ID as a basic human right.

Glad I could help.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Taking it away from Georgia because of restrictive voting laws passed by Republicans and then giving it to the kids of the RNC Finance Chair would be very odd.

So the Cubs never get the All Star game until the Ricketts don’t own the team? What are we doing here? If you dig into anything you patronize, you’re going to find things you disagree with. It’s ridiculous MLB is doing this in the first place, but since they are, a team that hasn’t hosted one in 31 years is the Cubs. They’re probably due for one. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vulture said:

What difference does it make if it’s racist. Voter suppression is voter suppression either way

It's only voter suppression because the democrats and the  media told you it was. There is no voter suppression in the bill.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Here’s where I struggle a bit here. Whether you believe this dishonors Aaron will depend on if you think this is Georgia’s all star game or Atlanta’s. Because I’m not sure there is a better city to honor Aaron honor than Atlanta and it’s people in 2021.

This. The city of Atlanta leans left, anyway. It doesn't feel right penalizing the people of Atlanta for what the republican legislature and governor passed. The Georgians outside of Atlanta probably don't give a damn whether it gets the all-star game or not.

Edited by ron883
  • Like 4

• bmags pinned, unpinned and locked this topic
2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Probably safe to say at this point that Atlanta is out of the running for future Super Bowls and Final Fours as well. Things would get very interesting if enough golfers banded together to put pressure on the Masters.

The Masters is an interesting entity. The Masters is owned by Augusta National and sets their own rules. I believe they are the only tournament like that. The PGA tour could choose to make it a non official event. They could even schedule against it. But they can’t use the name and move it. And based on a few former and current tour players I know, they won’t boycott. 

2 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

It's only voter suppression because the democrats and the  media told you it was. There is no voter suppression in the bill.

It’s only not voter suppression because the republicans told you it’s not. 

• Like 2