What if Yermin Mercedes keeps hitting?

VAfan

43 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If he hits at a better than .250 pace he'd be our best DH this century. So if it is pessimistic it's grounded in history. 

I don't think history has anything to do with unique individuals or teams.   Historically Steph Curry shouldn't hit 43% of his 3pt shots...he will regress to the mean...except he happens to be Steph Curry.    Historically the Cubs shouldn't have won the 2016 WS.  I think history works if you say, "historically Yolmer Sanchez had 8 years of .720 OPS in the minors so his looking good in spring and going 5-5 on opening day is an illusion."  But Yermin has 8 years in the minors with .860 OPS so...maybe we have something here.  Still if you had said "historically guys who's first name begins with the letter Y can't hit in the majors"...well that would have made me happy out of the goofiness of it.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Johan Santana wasnt an asset.

Sure, but even the Twins thought he was nothing more than a middle reliever in his first year there.  I think it's just ridiculous to critique Hahn for not thinking Yermin was some 850 OPS monster when the entire league, literally, other than Hahn, thought he wasn't worth a 40 man spot.  So it took the Sox some luck and time to get him in the lineup, it happens.

It's really amazing to think, developmentally, how much Hahn may have set the Sox back by signing EE last year and taking ABs away from Collins and Yermin.

I think it's easy to criticize Hahn but also every other GM in the league.  Yermin was probably a guy who was available for a the kind of prospect that would slot in our system in the 20s somewhere and is someone who was at the MLB minimum, prearb with 6 years control and all of his options left.  Every other team passed on this guy too, so every other team can also be criticized.

It's great to think about that bat helping this team now, either on the field or in trade, if he continues to hit.  I love the bat control on this guy and he really does seem to have a good plan at the plate.  The reports of him loading up and coming out of his shoes on the first pitch, then tightening things up and poking a base hit somewhere later on with 2 strikes, look to be accurate.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Nobody is asking if Moncada will strike out five times again tonight...let’s just wait and revisit this thread at the 54 game mark.

After one month last year, Luis Robert was being compared to Mike Trout and considered a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Adjustments from the league will come quickly enough...

You're right, but at least (for once) the opening week Soxtalk overreactions are about how good someone might be and not whether someone is a bust

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sure, but even the Twins thought he was nothing more than a middle reliever in his first year there.  I think it's just ridiculous to critique Hahn for not thinking Yermin was some 850 OPS monster when the entire league, literally, other than Hahn, thought he wasn't worth a 40 man spot.  So it took the Sox some luck and time to get him in the lineup, it happens.

GM’s have little to no involvement in the minor league rule-5 draft. It takes place during the winter meetings and they have more important things. I would bet large sums of money Hahn hadn’t heard of Mercedes when they took him. 

Also, it was the minor league rule-5. They didn’t have to add him to the 40 man. 

This isn’t critique of Hahn just clarifying two points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackout Friday said:

GM’s have little to no involvement in the minor league rule-5 draft. It takes place during the winter meetings and they have more important things. I would bet large sums of money Hahn hadn’t heard of Mercedes when they took him. 

Also, it was the minor league rule-5. They didn’t have to add him to the 40 man. 

This isn’t critique of Hahn just clarifying two points. 

What a genius Hahn is for delegating to excellent deputies!

9 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Ok is that final?  Because that's okay with me if it is.  If it's final then we need to popularize it.

I'm not the final word on what's final  but it sprang up in the game thread last night more than a few times. Also saw it used in a Reddit thread after the game.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

What it Yermin literally never makes an out again and becomes the greatest hitter in the history of the game.  It could happen

People are wondering if they will remember Babe Ruth once the Yerminator is done with this league  🤔

Edited by TheTruth05
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Collins is the backup catcher...Mercedes is a DH only type who can play catcher in an emergency situation.  They are not the same thing.

You guys really don't think he's capable enough to catch a game now and then?