What if Yermin Mercedes keeps hitting?

VAfan

7 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Why do people keep bringing up someone playing 3rd base? One of the best players in baseball plays there there for the Sox now. 

I believe more as a capable backup, so you don’t have a wasted spot like Jake Lamb.

7 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

Playing EE and mazurka every game last year shows RR is a complete idiot. Not a partial idiot but a complete idiot.

Uh, it was a sixty game season, his pathetic boss spent $18M on that garbage, didn’t have many alternatives in RF with the injuries, and they sat once it was clear they weren’t turning things around after 40 games, a timeframe most would consider reasonable to see if these sunk costs could turn things around.

Was Ricky going to barge in Hahn’s office and say, “why did you sign this garbage you always bring me, I’m sitting them.” a few weeks into a season with no minor leagues to allow players to develop or display they are ready for the show. Eloy was hurt several times last season, OF depth was thin just like this year, and genius Hahn spent 1/4 of payroll on another catcher when they already had an All Star, and a DH when they could have rotated other starters through for rest or give the players you wanted to see a chance. Blame the idiot who continues to build shitty rosters with no depth and players out of position because they are limited to begin with.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

“Now and then” sure, but not 40 or 50 games.

Why exactly is that?

I'm not sure how important it is but if Eloy were to come back quicker than expected perhaps this would be a real thing to discuss?

Yermin is gonna disrupt this lineup. I want that guy at the plate as often as possible. He has great plate coverage and a terrific eye. Short to the ball and an idea of what he wants to do each at bat. My guess is he will continue to impress, in which case we'll have a high-class problem. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Mercedes isn’t a legit catcher.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I legitimately don't know his history catching.  Do you mean hes literally not done it regularly enough that he is efficient?

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The way too premature question is if Yermin is the real deal, how do you solve the LF, 1B, DH logjam?  Still a long road ahead before that even possibly becomes a problem, but definitely a fun problem to think about.

Don't know if Yermin is the real deal, but he at least deserves some kind of chance. The Sox gave enough chances to the Adams - LaRouche and Dunn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The way too premature question is if Yermin is the real deal, how do you solve the LF, 1B, DH logjam?  Still a long road ahead before that even possibly becomes a problem, but definitely a fun problem to think about.

Thats a good problem to have, but you're right. Something we don't need to worry about until later. And also depends on if Vaughn is the real deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Extremally small sample size in MLB but the guy passes the real deal eye test for me. I don't need to see too many more ABs to state he is our best hitter (w/apologies to Abreu). Our power hitting RH hitters (Abreu, Jimenez, Robert and to a lesser extent, Vaughn) all seem vulnerable to out of the zone sliders. Yermin spits on them and waits until he gets a pitch he can put in play. He has a plan when he steps up to bat. Again, SSS but I'm convinced he is the real deal already. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Flash said:

Extremally small sample size in MLB but the guy passes the real deal eye test for me. I don't need to see too many more ABs to state he is our best hitter (w/apologies to Abreu). Our power hitting RH hitters (Abreu, Jimenez, Robert and to a lesser extent, Vaughn) all seem vulnerable to out of the zone sliders. Yermin spits on them and waits until he gets a pitch he can put in play. He has a plan when he steps up to bat. Again, SSS but I'm convinced he is the real deal already. 

Not our best hitter, but definitely worthy of consistent playing time, and he should get it. 

59 minutes ago, Flash said:

Let’s say you’re right, what’s the plan for 1B, LF, & DH come 2022?

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 8:07 AM, NCsoxfan said:

It’s not surprising one it. The guy outhit Robert in AAA and few even noticed. People just ASSUMED it wouldn’t carry over to the bigs (and maybe it won’t, but he needs a shot!) It’s not like this is a .240 hitter that’s having an all star season. I don’t see why he couldn’t hit .280 for us with good power, RBIs, and probably a lot of Ks

Vaughn will K a lot more than Mercedes. Guys who can make contact are pretty valuable in situations like last night when both Robert and Vaughn K'd with men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Mercedes had just got the last of his 3 hits against Cobb, a double with 2 strikes on him . At least 4 of his 8 consecutive hits he had 2 strikes on him.

If Yermin and Collins to a lesser extent show they're capable major leaguers, then it presents a situation where you're going to have to move Eloy and possibly Vaughn. Abreu is here till he wants to hang them up for better or worse in a similar situation to Konerko. Lets just say for the sake of this post, Collins becomes a solid back up catcher and Mercedes is capable of 2 fWAR at DH while getting a little bit of time at 1B and C. At that point the lineup looks potentially like this

'23

DH - Mercedes | Abreu | Grandal# | Collins*
C - Grandal# FA after '23 | Collins*
1B - Abreu FA after '22, will be given the same treatment as Konerko | Grandal# | Collins* | Mercedes
2B - Madrigal after '26
SS - Anderson FA after '24
3B - Moncada# FA after '25
LF - ???
CF - Robert
RF - ???

The dream is that Cespedes will take over RF and Colas* will take over left, so there is mounting pressure to move Eloy if those things come to pass; Mercedes shows he is an above average DH, Abreu not moving off 1B/DH till he is ready to hang it up, Vaughn with his pedigree merely existing within this timeline and two high profile international signings that could be ready by '22.

As much as I love Eloy we could see a similar situation when the sox shipped off Carlos Lee. I could see an offseason where Eloy and Vaughn get shipped off in separate deals bringing back someone like Marquez from the Rockies 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s say you’re right, what’s the plan for 1B, LF, & DH come 2022?

Yermin makes Eloy and to a lesser extent, Vaughn, redundant. We trade whoever possesses the highest trade value. Going into this season and even before Yermin mania, I advocated pursuing Tauchman (NYY). He is a Chgo kid who bats LH and is well better than avg at all 3 OF positions. I'd still pursue him (Lopez + ???). He can hold the fort down until Colas/Cespedes emerges. Vaughn needs to continue his development and build confidence which he is less likely to do while learning a new position. He can go to Charlotte for a bit. Assuming Eloy still has trade value (I posited trading him for Corbin Burnes and this board wanted to hang me from the highest tree), I'd use him to bring in another SP although Burnes is obviously out of the question now. FWIW, am guessing Abreu will still be playing first and hitting 3rd come 2022 and likely beyond. Obviously just one man's opinion.