What if Yermin Mercedes keeps hitting?

VAfan

I think the answer to the question "Why didn't he get a look earlier" can be answered in two parts:

1. He was/is a late-20s prospect with a short track record of success and no defensive position

2. The White Sox had some depth ahead of him in the 1B/DH/Backup C position

Fortune took care of part 2. Only time and ABs can eliminate part 1.

Right now he's a fun story and there is reason to think he can succeed, but he will need to "adjust to the adjustments" so to speak.

2 minutes ago, daggins said:

I think the answer to the question "Why didn't he get a look earlier" can be answered in two parts:

1. He was/is a late-20s prospect with a short track record of success and no defensive position

Right now he's a fun story and there is reason to think he can succeed, but he will need to "adjust to the adjustments" so to speak.

I think this is more why it’s fair for fans to think this way but I would hope our self scouting is good enough that they could see he translates as a bat at least as much as AJ reed. But it would have been tough last year, I get it, but thank goodness they gave him a shot this year.

9 minutes ago, daggins said:

No offense, but he does not have a short track record of hitting.  He has mashed every year in the minors. But yes, I agree he is no more than a catcher insurance guy.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No offense, but he does not have a short track record of hitting.  He has mashed every year in the minors

Ya, I obviously have 0 idea if he can continue to hit in the majors but his track record of hitting in the minors is not short.  Dude has been doing it for a ton of years now.

• Like 1

Ehhh, he raked in 2016...as a 23 year old in A ball. In 2017 and 2018 he was unremarkable (and again, old for the level) and in 2019 he definitely raked, but Charlotte is also a different kind of park. I think it's correct to be skeptical that this is anything but a nice bit of SSS luck for now.

No one really knows whether this is legit or a flash.

But to  me the difference between Mercedes and the typical AAAA player is that the AAAA player has sat in AAA for multiple years.  Mercedes hasn't.  He sat in A ball a long time with Tampa, presumably to develop his defense.  But once the Sox drafted him, he moved up pretty quickly and hit at each level.  Heck he hit in Birmingham when no one else could.

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think this is more why it’s fair for fans to think this way but I would hope our self scouting is good enough that they could see he translates as a bat at least as much as AJ reed. But it would have been tough last year, I get it, but thank goodness they gave him a shot this year.

I am still pissed about watching AJ Reed get at bats in 2019 that could have gone to Collins and Mercedes.

8 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

I am still pissed about watching AJ Reed get at bats in 2019 that could have gone to Collins and Mercedes.

2019 should have been Collins, with Mercedes getting the cup of coffee at the bare minimum.

At some point in 2020, they should have given up on Encarnacion for either of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No offense, but he does not have a short track record of hitting.  He has mashed every year in the minors. But yes, I agree he is no more than a catcher insurance guy.

The guy has like 400 ABs above A ball. That is absolutely a short track record, especially for a guy that was in indy leagues until he was 22. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

this is so dumb, you just keep them all because they are all in cheap years and then you have more good players. Trading from surplus on a competitive team is such video game thinking.

This is only true if you have a perfect roster.  If we can use redundancies to fill holes that’s a major win.

18 minutes ago, mqr said:

But yeah, at this point you run him out there until the magic runs out.

One thing I couldn't stand about Rick: maybe it can't be measured accurately yet, but "pixie dust" is a thing and until the League adjusts you ride that pixie dust as long as you can.  Keep starting him.  The worst thing that can happen is a he cools off and gets benched.  Until then, ride it.

31 minutes ago, mqr said:

The guy has like 400 ABs above A ball. That is absolutely a short track record, especially for a guy that was in indy leagues until he was 22. 

Trouble is when you spend most of your career A ball and lower it's because no one trusts you as a catcher and younger guys, higher draft picks keep getting looks over you. Once you finally hit AA because your hitting can no longer be ignored it becomes apparent that he needed to rise quickly because of his age. He's 28 now and hoping he can stick around and prove his worth. But if he does prove his worth, the smattering of people saying he should've got a shot earlier will only get louder.

I'm just thankful he finally got a shot when I didn't think he ever would with the Sox.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

One thing I couldn't stand about Rick: maybe it can't be measured accurately yet, but "pixie dust" is a thing and until the League adjusts you ride that pixie dust as long as you can.  Keep starting him.  The worst thing that can happen is a he cools off and gets benched.  Until then, ride it.

Right. The only thing to 'make of' Yermin Mercedes right now is that he's played 4 incredibly good games. Maybe they found a unicorn, but more likely than that they found a decent plug and play guy. (I still think it's probably even more likely that they found a guy who had a great week one time, but regardless) 

Play him and find out. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

this is so dumb, you just keep them all because they are all in cheap years and then you have more good players. Trading from surplus on a competitive team is such video game thinking.

Yeah except in a video game I would have Alt+f4-ed the second the Eloy injury alert popped up :(

2 hours ago, chitown87 said:

If you want to be po at someone getting  Mercedes at bats last year.....EE gets my vote.

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How does one now define cooling off for a guy like Yermin. 

4 hours ago, daggins said:

3. He is a great big fat person

• Haha 1