What if Yermin Mercedes keeps hitting?

VAfan

Mercedes on being in the lineup for Opening Day in Chicago on Thursady:

"I’m so excited," Mercedes said. "I want to see my fans over there on Opening Day in Chicago. I want everyone to talk to me. I want to see my people. I want to see the Yermín fans, the Yerminator fans. I’m so excited, I can’t wait."

So he knows he is the "Yerminator" not the Muffin Man or anything else. It's official now.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Let's just put Vaughn wherever the injured/struggling player is.

Madrigal continues to be a clutz at second, Vaughn to 2B. Moncada can't hit lefties, Vaughn plays 3B against lefties. Collins can't block balls every fifth game, get Vaughn the shin guards. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Mercedes on being in the lineup for Opening Day in Chicago on Thursady:

"I’m so excited," Mercedes said. "I want to see my fans over there on Opening Day in Chicago. I want everyone to talk to me. I want to see my people. I want to see the Yermín fans, the Yerminator fans. I’m so excited, I can’t wait."

So he knows he is the "Yerminator" not the Muffin Man or anything else. It's official now.

I deserve a ticket in the front row for him. GO YERMY!

I found it interesting in Rosenthal's recent piece how ill thought of his makeup was. Wonder what the stories behind that are.

https://theathletic.com/2501783/2021/04/06/rosenthal-yermin-mercedes-long-road-to-the-majors-ronald-acunas-adjustments-more-notes/

“I misjudged the makeup,” Dipuglia said. “For him to get to the big leagues after the struggles he had, it shows me he had a lot more mental fortitude than I thought he did. He had some discipline problems over here, I won’t deny that.”

“There’s a reason why he’s moved around,” former Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Monday night on MLB Network. “Trust me, it’s not just pure baseball. I remember when he was taken in the (Rule 5) draft, we were glad they took him.

The White Sox, too, found Mercedes to be something of an acquired taste. But now Mercedes’ 12 hits are the most by a White Sox player in their first four games of the season, surpassing — ahem — Ducky Holmes’ 11 hits in 1904.

“We were certainly aware of some of the question marks around Yermin when we took him in the Rule 5,” said White Sox GM Rick Hahn. “Frankly, those past concerns just make me more impressed with the work our player development staff — particularly, Doug Sisson, John Orton and Guillermo Quiroz — put in to help get Yermin to this place. To a man, they only judged him on the work and commitment he showed while with us, which has been excellent.”

Edited by DirtySox

33 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I found it interesting in Rosenthal's recent piece how ill thought of his makeup was. Wonder what the stories behind that are.

https://theathletic.com/2501783/2021/04/06/rosenthal-yermin-mercedes-long-road-to-the-majors-ronald-acunas-adjustments-more-notes/

Paging James Fegan, those paragraphs are way too tantalizing.

We may actually find out why Yermin had to wait until now to get his shot.

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

I wonder if it has to do with his weight? He seems like a guy everybody likes. Maybe he has "too much" fun, if you catch my drift. 

37 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I wonder if it has to do with his weight? He seems like a guy everybody likes. Maybe he has "too much" fun, if you catch my drift. 

I believe he was also suspended and sent home from winter league for violating Covid protocols. Maybe Yermin is a party boy.

48 minutes ago, Quin said:

two days ago someone on reddit said he was a piece of shit person, granted it was just some rando online but that was a specific criticism to me (I didn't know there were issues about him in his past until that post in this thread)

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem with Yermin is the lack of position. I'm not aware of any prospect who was brought up through a system strictly as a DH. Travis Hafner is the closest comp I can find, but even he was nominally a 1B. You have to really be hitting to take away plate appearances from other prospects in the minors, and then keep hitting and have some kind of fluke injury situation lead to your chance in the majors.

Now, if he keeps hitting, as in he gets 100 PA into the season and he still has an OPS north of .850 or so, then he's your DH and Vaughn can fight for playing time in LF.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think the biggest problem with Yermin is the lack of position. I'm not aware of any prospect who was brought up through a system strictly as a DH. Travis Hafner is the closest comp I can find, but even he was nominally a 1B. You have to really be hitting to take away plate appearances from other prospects in the minors, and then keep hitting and have some kind of fluke injury situation lead to your chance in the majors.

Now, if he keeps hitting, as in he gets 100 PA into the season and he still has an OPS north of .850 or so, then he's your DH and Vaughn can fight for playing time in LF.

I mean he wasnt drafted, he was signed as an intl FA because of his bat presumably, then he mostly played in the pecos league until the Sox put him in their actual minor league system

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I believe he was also suspended and sent home from winter league for violating Covid protocols. Maybe Yermin is a party boy.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Party boy would track with his personality, but for it to be an issue with past teams would be wild.

Clearly he's worked past it and/or the Sox don't have the same concerns, but it'd be fascinating to hear the full story some day, should Yermin ever decide to tell it.

I'm so glad Tony is playing Yermin daily. I've seen enough. I want him in there six of every seven games. I want to enjoy this guy. As long as we are in an era of hitters either hitting a HR or striking out, I wanna see my Yermin. My gosh that was a blast today!! Keep playing him, Tony. Sox have had a ton of busts that were supposed to be great through the years. Let's see if Yermin is the real deal. Thanx Tony so far, keep playing him please!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm so glad Tony is playing Yermin daily. I've seen enough. I want him in there six of every seven games. I want to enjoy this guy. As long as we are in an era of hitters either hitting a HR or striking out, I wanna see my Yermin. My gosh that was a blast today!! Keep playing him, Tony. Sox have had a ton of busts that were supposed to be great through the years. Let's see if Yermin is the real deal. Thanx Tony so far, keep playing him please!

There's zero reason not to play him every day. 

15 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

what if Yermin stops hitting?

That would suck, but the small sample size has been so impressive I'd give him a long slump before I bench him. I guess the pitchers will adjust but he attacks the ball. Sox need this surprise production with Eloy out IMO.