What if Yermin Mercedes keeps hitting?

VAfan

I’d be more comfortable sending Vaughn to work on playing LF and play every day in Charlotte for 4-6 weeks. Let’s him return able to pay full time in LF, pre/post Eloy return.

That leaves time for Engel and Mercedes to play 4-5 games a week, let Collins catch every third day and play DH 1-2 more per week. Grandal (1B) and Abreu (DH) get fielding breathers.

After a few months settles, can see who deserves to keep playing time upon Vaughn, and later Eloy’s, return.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:33 PM, ron883 said:

I wonder if it has to do with his weight? He seems like a guy everybody likes. Maybe he has "too much" fun, if you catch my drift. 

Discipline problems according to a few posts above. That means showing up late for something usually more than once or violating curfew or other team rules.

14 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Discipline problems according to a few posts above. That means showing up late for something usually more than once or violating curfew or other team rules.

He's a good dude but had some immaturity moments like a million other athletes chasing a dream. 

16 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

For reference, it took Adam Dunn until May 7th to get his fifteenth hit of the 2011 season, and Royce Clayton until June 1 to get his fifteenth hit in the 2001 season.

Thankfully 2021 is different 🥰

One of my favorite parts of the movie "The Rookie"  is when Dennis Quaid's character makes his Major League debut and strikes out the batter on 3 pitches.  That batter was Royce Clayton and I always think "yeah a 3 pitch K sounds about right"

• Haha 2

Vaughn should never be  in the outfield.....ever. His sole focus should be on hitting. Don't distract him...at all. He is under enough pressure as a rookie trying to stay on the Major league roster.  Let him DH every other game so that he has a  chance to prove that he can hit better than Mercedes. If he can't, the Sox surely do not need his glove in the outfield.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tray said:

Vaughn should never be  in the outfield.....ever. His sole focus should be on hitting. Don't distract him...at all. He is under enough pressure as a rookie trying to stay on the Major league roster.  Let him DH every other game so that he has a  chance to prove that he can hit better than Mercedes. If he can't, the Sox surely do not need his glove in the outfield.

The question is not whether Vaughn can hit better than Mercedes, but whether he can hit better than the outfielders the Sox have healthy right now. I would take him now over Williams and Hamilton (before he got hurt). The only place to develop his hitting is in LF because he's not outhitting Mercedes at the moment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tray said:

Lolol

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Just given his age, if Yermin keeps hitting, I think we have to look at his place in the lineup and project Eloy in that role. The injury may force the team to trade Yermin and prospects for a real left fielder. I mean, the Sox can’t go on like this...right?

Mercedes doesn’t have much value until he can prove over 3-4 months that he can sustain this...

He has more value to the White Sox until Vaughn/Collins prove themselves...and/or Jimenez returns at full health.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 12:31 AM, poppysox said:

Who has surprisingly good speed.

Not really, his sprint speed is 25.5 according to statcast. That is quite slow. Vaughn also is only at 25.8 which is really slow too and not really playable in LF every day. 

Thus I think the right move for Vaughn is to play him in left part time until Engel is back and then send him down. You can't play a sub 26 sprint speed guy every day in LF, of course he will some routine fly balls but over a year that is probably - 15 runs over a full season like Hoskins was in his LF season (and Vaughn is even slower than Hoskins) 

On 4/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, caulfield12 said:

Mercedes doesn’t have much value until he can prove over 3-4 months that he can sustain this...

He has more value to the White Sox until Vaughn/Collins prove themselves...and/or Jimenez returns at full health.

I'm not sure that he would have more value to the White Sox long term than a real left fielder, which is kinda where I was going with that. The Sox can't leave it up to friggin Colas, Eloy and Engel. A competant, serious organization would not. Mercedes maintaining his value as a hitter, or just as a prospect atm, combined with a pitching prospect would make the most obvious trade bait now or later. Eloy has DH on lockdown, so let's get used to the idea of trading Mercedes imo

Edited by Chick Mercedes