What if Yermin Mercedes keeps hitting?

VAfan

Not that anyone could have expected him to hit .600 for a whole season, but Yermin has looked a bit more like the guy we thought he was over the last week. A lot of weak contact, though his eye is legit and I absolutely love his approach with 2 strikes.  He's got a role on this team for sure, but I don't think the Sox can/should be relying on him to carry the load of a 5 hitter. 

On 4/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, Dominikk85 said:

It is amazing how good of a breaking ball hitter yermin is. He has a. 460 wOBA against breaking balls this year. 

He does that super early leg kick but then has great balance on the rear leg. That makes him very hard to pitch to. 

His power is exceptional as well.  Mercedes and Rodon are the pleasant surprises of a disappointing start to the season so far.

On 4/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Not that anyone could have expected him to hit .600 for a whole season, but Yermin has looked a bit more like the guy we thought he was over the last week. A lot of weak contact, though his eye is legit and I absolutely love his approach with 2 strikes.  He's got a role on this team for sure, but I don't think the Sox can/should be relying on him to carry the load of a 5 hitter. 

I'm not sure "who the guy we thought he was" is. Over the last 2 weeks he's got a .280 BA, around a .545 SLG and .850 OPS. He's been carrying the load while Abreu, Grandal and Moncada slump without Eloy and when Tim was out. Plus we lost another good bat against lefties with McCann and he has been way better than EE. He still leads the team in many offensive categories.

Against RHP in the last 15 days he is 3rd in BA behind Madrigal and Robert . He's 1st in SLG. ( wouldn't exactly call that weak contact) and 2nd to Eaton in OPS. Hopefully when some of the others start to hit Yermin can continue just at his current clip which should be good for no worse than 6th in the batting order.

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I had fully resigned myself to Mercedes eventually lighting it up for another team.  Actually pleasantly surprised that didn't happen, though it took a pretty catastrophic injury to get him a shot.

Yeah, I've always said he will be a top 5 DH in the MLB, just with another team.  I still hold that sentiment. 

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not sure "who the guy we thought he was" is. Over the last 2 weeks he's got a .280 BA, around a .545 SLG and .850 OPS. He's been carrying the load while Abreu, Grandal and Moncada slump without Eloy and when Tim was out. Plus we lost another good bat against lefties with McCann and he has been way better than EE. He still leads the team in many offensive categories.

Against RHP in the last 15 days he is 3rd in BA behind Madrigal and Robert . He's 1st in SLG. ( wouldn't exactly call that weak contact) and 2nd to Eaton in OPS. Hopefully when some of the others start to hit Yermin can continue just at his current clip which should be good for no worse than 6th in the batting order.

He is hitting .260 in his last 8 games.  One multi-hit game.  That is more the guy we thought he was.  He is starting to expand his zone and swing at more garbage.  Starting to K more.  Outside of the HR in Boston, most of his contact lately has been weak.  His magic wand is starting to falter.  

I like Yermin - he was a super fun little story line the first few weeks.  It is obvious he can hit a bit.  I don't in any way shape or form expect him to be a lineup mainstay for the next half decade, and nor should anyone else.  I think the chances are higher than he is out of the league in a year than the chances he is getting every day MLB PAs by mid-2022.  I would be happy to be wrong.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is hitting .260 in his last 8 games.  One multi-hit game.  That is more the guy we thought he was.  He is starting to expand his zone and swing at more garbage.  Starting to K more.  Outside of the HR in Boston, most of his contact lately has been weak.  His magic wand is starting to falter.  

I like Yermin - he was a super fun little story line the first few weeks.  It is obvious he can hit a bit.  I don't in any way shape or form expect him to be a lineup mainstay for the next half decade, and nor should anyone else.  I think the chances are higher than he is out of the league in a year than the chances he is getting every day MLB PAs by mid-2022.  I would be happy to be wrong.  

I think that's too pessimistic, there are quite a few stories like this. Jesus Aguilar caught on in a similar roles. Had one down year but pretty firmly startes a DH career around same age as Yermin.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ok so I used a bigger sample size than 8 games so if we want to use a smaller one in his last 6 games he is hitting .292 .583 Slg. and .875 OPS . If you want to use a sample size between the last 6 games and his last 11 (15 days) days to prove your point so be it if you only want to use BA as your only stat which would be unlike you.

8 minutes ago, Vulture said:

He’s actually hitting .276 over the last eight games, which is still close to forty points above league average

You're right - I was actually counting the 1 AB in the 4/11 game which drops it to .258.  

Look - I am rooting for Yermin.  I hope he turns into a mainstay.  But I am going to take the Parkman route on this one and expect very little and be pleasantly surprised.  We know he can hit - he always has.  But I don't think his torrid pace for the first week is something we're going to see all that often, and without it, his numbers are fairly pedestrian for a DH only.  Obviously you take out any hot week like that it skews the numbers, and I am not trying to discount what he has done to this point.  He, in my opinion, has been one the best stories in baseball so far in 2021.  I just think people that are extrapolating these 60 PAs out as if the Sox will even get 75% of that production out of Yermin moving forward are going to be pretty disappointed.  You have to hit a lot to be a DH-only player in this league.    

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok so I used a bigger sample size than 8 games so if we want to use a smaller one in his last 6 games he is hitting .292 .583 Slg. and .875 OPS . If you want to use a sample size between the last 6 games and his last 11 (15 days) days to prove your point so be it if you only want to use BA as your only stat which would be unlike you.

Wasn't trying to pick any certain sample to prove a point, honestly.  Just think Yermin has looked pretty human the last 8-10 games.  That's all.  I personally think that is more the Yermin we're going to get moving forward - not the guy that somehow hit .500 the first week or so.  Like I said in my previous post, I am rooting like hell for him.  I am not posting this to wag it in people's faces in a few months.  I'd love to see nothing more than him becoming a premier hitter in this league.  I just don't think it is very likely.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

You're right - I was actually counting the 1 AB in the 4/11 game which drops it to .258.  

Look - I am rooting for Yermin.  I hope he turns into a mainstay.  But I am going to take the Parkman route on this one and expect very little and be pleasantly surprised.  We know he can hit - he always has.  But I don't think his torrid pace for the first week is something we're going to see all that often, and without it, his numbers are fairly pedestrian for a DH only.  Obviously you take out any hot week like that it skews the numbers, and I am not trying to discount what he has done to this point.  He, in my opinion, has been one the best stories in baseball so far in 2021.  I just think people that are extrapolating these 60 PAs out as if the Sox will even get 75% of that production out of Yermin moving forward are going to be pretty disappointed.  You have to hit a lot to be a DH-only player in this league.    

No it doesn’t that was within the last eight games in which he hit .276

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2021 at 12:48 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Wasn't trying to pick any certain sample to prove a point, honestly.  Just think Yermin has looked pretty human the last 8-10 games.  That's all.  I personally think that is more the Yermin we're going to get moving forward - not the guy that somehow hit .500 the first week or so.  Like I said in my previous post, I am rooting like hell for him.  I am not posting this to wag it in people's faces in a few months.  I'd love to see nothing more than him becoming a premier hitter in this league.  I just don't think it is very likely.  

I think your thinking on the subject is sensible but could have made without using SSS . Hell his whole existence to this point is a SSS . I like his approach as other's like Vaughn's approach. He's got a little bit of Madrigal in him as far as attempting to keep the ball in play and blooping some hits here and there. The difference is he will K more than Madrigal, everyone does, but he can also hit the ball 485 feet. He's quite unique so far. His B.A. dropped to a mere .390 so he responds by going 4 for 4 and it's .429 again .

• Like 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/yermin-mercedes-gets-burger-named-after-him

Fabulous Freddies, located one mile from Guaranteed Rate Field, added “The Yermínator” to its menu in honor of the White Sox designated hitter. Perhaps inspired by the recognition, Mercedes went out and got four hits in Chicago's 9-7 victory over the Rangers on Friday night.

Before the game, Mercedes made it clear during a Zoom call that he is ready to sample the offering.

Chicago's South Side Eatery Launches “The Yerminator” Chimi Burger in Honor of White Sox Rookie Phenom, Yermin Mercedes https://t.co/NDXBVze5mMpic.twitter.com/awKMWejMUR

— Chicago Food Mag (@ChicagoFoodMag) April 15, 2021

“I want The Yermínator burger right now. I'm hungry. I want to try it,” said a smiling Mercedes. “I've waited for it all day.”

According to a review by chicagofoodmagazine.com, The Yermínator is a Dominican Chimichurri Burger, a traditional Dominican street food. The ground beef patty is seasoned with Dominican flavors and topped with tomatoes, pickled red onions, shredded cabbage and the eatery's secret chimichurri sauce. Mercedes resides in La Romana, Dominican Republic, so Freddies is helping the newest sensation feel right at home.

Mercedes is appreciative of the recognition and the near-hero worship as the end of April approaches. But he’s also working even more diligently to make all these supporters proud.

“Now, everybody's doing stuff for me, like T-shirts, like the burger, everything,” Mercedes said. “So that's the reason I'm working hard every day, to be part of my fans, my people next to me. Just so excited. A couple months ago, I wouldn't have believed that I would be at this point right now.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I was just about to post that.

"Fabulous Freddies, located one mile from Guaranteed Rate Field, added “The Yermínator” to its menu in honor of the White Sox designated hitter. "

“I want The Yermínator burger right now. I'm hungry. I want to try it,” said a smiling Mercedes. “I've waited for it all day.”

According to a review by chicagofoodmagazine.com, The Yermínator is a Dominican Chimichurri Burger, a traditional Dominican street food. The ground beef patty is seasoned with Dominican flavors and topped with tomatoes, pickled red onions, shredded cabbage and the eatery's secret chimichurri sauce.

Hard to be more prescient than Eric Lodgenhagen of Fangraphs last April.

https://www.fangraphs.com/

I believe Mercedes will one day be a Chicago sports cult hero. He’s highly entertaining and talented enough to play a relevant big league role despite being a total defensive misfit. Stout and beefy, Mercedes is built such that he looks ripped and fat at the same time. He has a needlessly noisy, punk rock swing (until he has two strikes, which I’ll get to) with a big leg kick and all kinds of pre-swing bat waggling, but it always pauses with Mercedes balanced, his hands in good position, ready to unload on the baseball, which he often does. Mercedes ditches the leg kick with two strikes, but he’s so strong that he puts balls in play — hard — without it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was just about to post that.

"Fabulous Freddies, located one mile from Guaranteed Rate Field, added “The Yermínator” to its menu in honor of the White Sox designated hitter. "

According to a review by chicagofoodmagazine.com, The Yermínator is a Dominican Chimichurri Burger, a traditional Dominican street food. The ground beef patty is seasoned with Dominican flavors and topped with tomatoes, pickled red onions, shredded cabbage and the eatery's secret chimichurri sauce.

You can embed the Twitter link, that’s a HUGE burger, god knows how many calories...not sure if he gets AL Player of the Month, but definitely unique story of the year so far.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You can embed the Twitter link, that’s a HUGE burger, god knows how many calories...not sure if he gets AL Player of the Month, but definitely unique story of the year so far.

Hey you made it look like I was quoting the same things you were lol. Just letting everyone know that you only posted the link to the article 1st so I decided to include part of the article then you edited yours to include  quotes.