What if Yermin Mercedes keeps hitting?

VAfan

On 4/20/2021 at 3:48 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Wasn't trying to pick any certain sample to prove a point, honestly.  Just think Yermin has looked pretty human the last 8-10 games.  That's all.  I personally think that is more the Yermin we're going to get moving forward - not the guy that somehow hit .500 the first week or so.  Like I said in my previous post, I am rooting like hell for him.  I am not posting this to wag it in people's faces in a few months.  I'd love to see nothing more than him becoming a premier hitter in this league.  I just don't think it is very likely.  

Look at his splits, 7 days, 14 days, they are both solid. The 28 day splits include his torrid start, so he's not hitting that. But over the 7 and 14 days, he's .333 BA and over .500 slugging.  Who knows how he'll end up, but I think the more people doubt him, the more determined he'll be to succeed. 

Plus, it's not just his bat that helps the team. His energy is ultra positive. Helps replace some of what the Sox lost in the dugout when Eloy went down. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

What I like the most about Yermin is his eye, his ability to foul pitches off with two strikes, and that pitchers haven’t identified a glaring weakness yet IE a tendency to chase certain breaking balls. He’s only struck out 11 times in 76 plate appearances - only Madrigal is better on our team. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

What I like the most about Yermin is his eye, his ability to foul pitches off with two strikes, and that pitchers haven’t identified a glaring weakness yet IE a tendency to chase certain breaking balls. He’s only struck out 11 times in 76 plate appearances - only Madrigal is better on our team. 

Agreed. His at bats have looked really good.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:28 AM, VAfan said:

Look at his splits, 7 days, 14 days, they are both solid. The 28 day splits include his torrid start, so he's not hitting that. But over the 7 and 14 days, he's .333 BA and over .500 slugging.  Who knows how he'll end up, but I think the more people doubt him, the more determined he'll be to succeed. 

Plus, it's not just his bat that helps the team. His energy is ultra positive. Helps replace some of what the Sox lost in the dugout when Eloy went down. 

I agree. We just need Yermin to have a solid approach at the plate and hit some baseballs hard here and there. He had already taken a month off of Eloy's injury so as long as he can be serviceable we will be fine. If he does fall off completely, hopefully Collins would have figured the bat out. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I love off days when the bullpen needs a day and we are winning. I previously hated off days and they still kind of suck, but this team needs it for sure. 

True .4 game winning streak without Giolito or Lynn starting . Get them back and pitching well and things start looking even better.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:28 AM, VAfan said:

Yeah, another 4 for 4 will help that.  Yermin can hit, that is for sure.  Just not quite ready to anoint him as a franchise cornerstone at DH for the next half decade, or even the rest of 2021 for that matter.

But he's certainly been fun to watch and I am rooting like heck for him.  In no way, shape or form am I saying I think the dude can't hit or am I rooting for him to fail.  I just don't know that anything even remotely close to this 75 PA sample size is sustainable moving forward.  If it is, we got ourselves a hell of find.  

Edited by ChiSox59
typing is a struggle sometimes

So the league average BABIP is .300 and Yermin’s BABIP is at .455, if we were to take 8 in play (non home run) hits -  including 1 double - away from him to normalize to a .309 BABIP, it yields a potentially “luck-normalized” line of

.300/.355/.586/.941

still seems pretty damned blistering to me.

yes I know, sample size. Still encouraging! 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

I think Yermin is going to have a high babip anyway just on account of all of the tough pitches he fights off for singles.  It seems like a lot of pitches which other guys swing through or pop straight up he fights off and dumps into the short OF grass especially up the middle. 

He's also had a couple doc edwards shots and a few IF hits which maybe teams can take away by positioning differently.

Personally I think  the longer he hangs around and the more comfortable he becomes the more he will take a pitch here and there and make himself more dangerous.  I do expect the pull power to show up a bit more.