The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Was something wrong with Codi Heuer yesterday? He didn’t pitch on Friday. Marshall two days in a row against the same part of the lineup he faced on Friday is a pretty odd call unless literally no one else was available.

Also see how the extended outing for Hendricks Friday cascaded. Didn’t use Ruiz in the 9th yesterday when the lead got big, now Hendricks isn’t available on Saturday, now Bummer is saved for the 9th because you gotta have a classic closer, and in the end it becomes a loss.

Other ways that could have gone: 3-4-5 hitters are due up in the 8th, why not use your best reliever then? Or, Marshall clearly was in trouble when Upton came up, the game was tied but not lost, why not use Bummer there? Neither of those are options if your manager thinks your best available reliever must be saved for the 9th, but saving Bummer meant he never pitched.

He was probably worried that Pujols would bat for Walsh if he started Bummer that inning.  I agree though, that should have been Hendriks to start the inning if not for stupid closer role.

3 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

True that no one could foresee the injury, but a lot of people (including myself) wanted a bat.

And a glove, I wanted two corner outfielders and Eloy at DH since I saw him in 2019, and definitely this off-season (Rosario, Pederson and Schwarber were my LF preferences, knowing they were to cheap to M. Bradley). I wanted Jackie Bradley in RF/CF (Springer deal too long/expensive at his age, the Sox already have that in spades) was also OK with Engel getting 100-120 starts after his progress.

Of course was widely criticized here for offering those views, and now the Sox are going with Eaton and Vaughn / Garcia manning the corners, because cheap and stupid is the White Sox way.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Does anybody know why Heuer wasn’t warming up with Bummer yet...?  And whether Hendriks was actually available after 36 pitches the night before?

I’m sure with Hendricks it was one of those “yeah if it’s the bottom of the 12th inning and a save situation he could go, but we would rather not”.

No idea on Heuer.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

He was probably worried that Pujols would bat for Walsh if he started Bummer that inning.  I agree though, that should have been Hendriks to start the inning if not for stupid closer role.

Which matchup do you prefer, Bummer vs Pujols or Marshall vs Walsh? Angels would always have the platoon advantage, but Bummer is the clearly better pitcher.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

You’re so full of shit. You dump on the people that are obviously using this platform for venting purposes. Maybe it makes you feel smart. I don’t know. But don’t act like “it’s all In good fun” or whatever.  It’s lame.

Wait, why can't I use the platform how I please but others can? Weird stuff.

Feel smart? Pal, if i came here for validation I wouldn't post the way I do. Not sure what's difficult to understand about that.

And chitown rips me plenty. You can't take the heat, get out the kitchen. 

• Like 1

Hard to blame TLR too much for using Marshall.  I personally though the game was lost when the Sox failed to plate more than 1 run in what was it, the 6th?  That should have been at least 2.  The poor defense early didn't help either.  Just felt like Chicago beat themselves last night, and arguably two out of the first three.  TLR has to figure out how to get the young guys focused, it's not easy. 

Some of the younger guys need a TA like transformation over the next year or so. TA still makes some dumb errors, but for the most part he's a guy that is always locked in and ready to play and give good ABs.  Whatever he does pregame and in his routine works for him.

$50 million reliever warms up in the 8th. Don’t get the lead. Ruiz comes out for the 9th. Hendricks sits down.

Ruiz gives up a hit. LaRussa tells Foster to warm up as quick as he can, wastes time with 2 mound meetings to give him a few pitches. 

Foster does retire Trout! But then gets wild, walks Rendon, falls behind Walsh. Walsh destroys a ball.

Bullpen has lost 3 games this series in the 8-9th inning. Best reliever on the team? I hope he got a good view of the home run from his chair. At least he’s rested for a save situation!

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

$50 million reliever warms up in the 8th. Don’t get the lead. Ruiz comes out for the 9th. Hendricks sits down.

Ruiz gives up a hit. LaRussa tells Foster to warm up as quick as he can, wastes time with 2 mound meetings to give him a few pitches. 

Foster does retire Trout! But then gets wild, walks Rendon, falls behind Walsh. Walsh destroys a ball.

Bullpen has lost 3 games this series in the 8-9th inning. Best reliever on the team? I hope he got a good view of the home run from his chair. At least he’s rested for a save situation!

It’s absolutely bonkers and terrifying at the same time.  Hendriks should pitch nearly every other day as longs as game are close.  We can’t just save him for save situations all the time.

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not great Bob.  Team better come out in Seattle with some better focus.  Same pattern we saw last year to be fair.

Reneteria was better than what we've seen so far at managing a bullpen. He would have been smart enough to use Hendriks in the 9th tonight. Almost everyone would be.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Between this and all the bunting, my expectations for the season are definitely lower, even though I'm probably one of the few who is encouraged by how the core players look

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Reneteria was better than what we've seen so far at managing a bullpen. He would have been smart enough to use Hendriks in the 9th tonight. Almost everyone would be.

I mean RR used literally the worst pitcher on the roster in the highest leverage inning of the season.  For now, TLR hasn't done that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Between this and all the bunting, my expectations for the season are definitely lower, even though I'm probably one of the few who is encouraged by how the core players look

Which core players, out of curiosity

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

Nothing La Russa has done is irrational. Sometimes a manger deserves criticism for bullpen management but most the time it is just hindsight criticism where no one had any problems with the choice until the pitcher gives up runs.

He should have let Collins bat for Hamilton in the 8th.  He shouldn’t have let Ruiz start the 9th.  Those two things are more irritating to me than not using Liam in the 9th.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Which core players, out of curiosity

Most conspicuously, Giolito, Kopech, Crochet, Lynn, most other relievers -- pretty much every pitcher who I expected to look good (I had low expectations for Keuchel and Cease).

I actually thought Yoan looked good tonight- nice defense, reached base twice in his five PAs, and two of the other ones were 100 and 107 MPH exit velocity outs.

Robert still struggles with pitch recognition, but this start is much unlike his September slump as he is still barreling up the ball and getting on base, so I can live with the swing and miss.

And although these guys are working from an even smaller sample, Grandal, Mercedes, Vaughn, and Collins are all consistently having patient and/or productive ABs that I'm confident will provide success in the long run

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Nothing La Russa has done is irrational. Sometimes a manger deserves criticism for bullpen management but most the time it is just hindsight criticism where no one had any problems with the choice until the pitcher gives up runs.

Not exactly true every time. Sometimes you are watching and wondering why certain guys are in before the damage is done.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

The general point about managers being evaluated based on hindsight is true, and it's annoying. Baseball fans should be smarter than that. But there was very little 2nd guessing with his bullpen management tonight. I (and nearly every other person in the game thread) was against the decision to let Ruiz start the 9th inning and then to go with Foster instead of Hendriks. When TLR explained his rationale for doing so it was entirely because he wanted Hendriks to get the save. That is as antiquated of an explanation as you will ever hear from a manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1