The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Somehow his taking responsibility will be spun as a positive sign that he gets it, and is perfectly suited for today's game, taking the pressure off his players ala Ozzie Guillen by becoming a sideshow unto his self.

This has the potential of turning into a very ugly & embarrassing season, especially for TLR.  

I wouldn't be surprised if he's been praying on the plane for a rainout tomorrow.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

This has the potential of turning into a very ugly & embarrassing season, especially for TLR.  

I wouldn't be surprised if he's been praying on the plane for a rainout tomorrow.

It's definitely a time for our veteran leaders to get everyone together on the plane coming back...before we get blown out of the water by the Royals' offense.   If we lose tomorrow, it has to be addressed on the off-day.   If they were playing clean games and just getting beaten by better teams/players, that would be understandable.

Thankfully, we also get to face Royals' pitching, so it should be fairly even.

18 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

He's not gonna let go the rudder because of some choppy waters early.  That's why they hired him.  Rickie would give a little golf clap to the media and some ass pats.  I think that TLR will use the player reps to get the message across: and that message is that you are a professional and get your head screwed on right before the homestand.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's not gonna let go the rudder because of some choppy waters early.  That's why they hired him.  Rickie would give a little golf clap to the media and some ass pats.  I think that TLR will use the player reps to get the message across: and that message is that you are a professional and get your head screwed on right before the homestand.

Eaton, Madrigal, Leury, Moncada...besides the entire bullpen situation, those are the obvious "self-examination" candidates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Eaton, Madrigal, Leury, Moncada...besides the entire bullpen situation, those are the obvious "self-examination" candidates.

Indeed.  Message should just be have fun, relax and play within yourself.  Your team mate will pick you up more often than not.  Or, failing that, get your head out of your ass!  Like that play Eaton tried to make is just him pressing.  Adam, no need buddy.  This isn't the 2015 club and you ain't 27 anymore.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If you read through my posts today, they are more about TLR's age and post game exhaustion than about the play so far.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

If you read through my posts today, they are more about TLR's age and post game exhaustion than about the play so far.

Haha I love that sketch....he's Mr Relaxation.

SCTV was brillliance pre Martin Short.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Indeed.  Message should just be have fun, relax and play within yourself.  Your team mate will pick you up more often than not.  Or, failing that, get your head out of your ass!  Like that play Eaton tried to make is just him pressing.  Adam, no need buddy.  This isn't the 2015 club and you ain't 27 anymore.

When we were really going well last year, and, granted, 50% of it was against bad KC and Detroit pitching, the line-up really fed off the momentum from each other, it really felt like a team.

Now, we feel like the typical White Sox "collection" of talent but there's just something missing...the fun-loving nature of Eloy, the fiery leadership and intensity of Tim Anderson, etc.

Winning cures all chemistry problems...but it just seems like every aspect of our organization (TLR/JR vs KW/Hahn) is kind of at a loggerheads with itself.

After 5 years of rebuilding, we should have more cushion than forcing Andrew Vaughn to learn LF on the fly in important regular season games.  It's almost like we're in a transition year (moving on from Rodon/Lynn to Kopech), but still trying to compete with all these moving parts, and young, inexperienced pieces.

Looking back, the obvious mistake is the front office believing that the bullpen arms we had were going to repeat and we didn't even need to add a single stabilizing veteran presence outside of Hendriks (who we currently can't manage to get a lead to).

Now we might still have the talent to cover there, but somebody has to step up and start performing.  We're obviously not going to blow more than 50% of our leads, it will all start to even out, but we need to get back to basics and just retiring the next hitter in front of them (and believing in the defense behind them as well.)   Of course, watching this first week, hard to blame any starting pitcher for not expecting the absolute worst outcome for any ball put into play except either a K or ball out to Luis Robert in CF.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

Not saying that he's given the opportunity to resign, saying he just does it on his own because he realizes that he just can't do it physically anymore.  Last night he came so close to nodding off in the presser.  His eyelids have had lead weights on them on every postgame presser I've seem so far, including today.  TLR 10 years ago would have been fine.  From what I've seen of him so far this year, he's a tired old man.  Today's huge pitching mistake(s) is just the tip of the iceberg.  When someone's that tired all the time, mistakes follow.  It's gonna get ugly, some big ones are inevitable.

Where is the pitching coach????   Fire him now. What the heck is Duncan doing? Analytics coordinator!!! Give me a break. Fire him and get his father back.  In fairness this was an afternoon start so Tony missed his siesta nap ( or he took it during the 6th). Foster would look good in Charlotte blue.  

Edited by SCCWS

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

Incredible talent proven by all their successful & memorable careers after SCTV ended.

I have not yet watched Schitt's Creek but have been told it's hilarious.

And RIP John Candy.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

I have not yet watched Schitt's Creek but have been told it's hilarious.

And RIP John Candy.

Me neither and heard that too.  

There was something very wrong with those SCTV folks.  They were just nuts!

Johnny LaRue, what a scumbucket!  My fav TV character of all time!

2 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Me neither and heard that too.  

There was something very wrong with those SCTV folks.  They were just nuts!

Johnny LaRue, what a scumbucket!  My fav TV character of all time!

100% agree

Although Guy Caballaro could give him a run for his $$ 😁

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When we were really going well last year, and, granted, 50% of it was against bad KC and Detroit pitching, the line-up really fed off the momentum from each other, it really felt like a team.

Now, we feel like the typical White Sox "collection" of talent but there's just something missing...the fun-loving nature of Eloy, the fiery leadership and intensity of Tim Anderson, etc.

Winning cures all chemistry problems...but it just seems like every aspect of our organization (TLR/JR vs KW/Hahn) is kind of at a loggerheads with itself.

After 5 years of rebuilding, we should have more cushion than forcing Andrew Vaughn to learn LF on the fly in important regular season games.  It's almost like we're in a transition year (moving on from Rodon/Lynn to Kopech), but still trying to compete with all these moving parts, and young, inexperienced pieces.

Looking back, the obvious mistake is the front office believing that the bullpen arms we had were going to repeat and we didn't even need to add a single stabilizing veteran presence outside of Hendriks (who we currently can't manage to get a lead to).

Now we might still have the talent to cover there, but somebody has to step up and start performing.  We're obviously not going to blow more than 50% of our leads, it will all start to even out, but we need to get back to basics and just retiring the next hitter in front of them (and believing in the defense behind them as well.)   Of course, watching this first week, hard to blame any starting pitcher for not expecting the absolute worst outcome for any ball put into play except either a K or ball out to Luis Robert in CF.

Just win baby.  First two weeks last year was same shit.  Including from me.

16 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think the age thing is a cheap insult frankly and not really worth my response.  Cheers.

"she's fat and has a homely face.  big tits tho I guess." 

-chitownsportsfan on Lily from AT&T less than 24 hours ago 

Cheers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

56 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

"she's fat and has a homely face.  big tits tho I guess." 

-chitownsportsfan on Lily from AT&T less than 24 hours ago 

Cheers.

To be more precise, she has a Ukrainian face.  And naturally women gain weight in their 30’s.  But I guess we expect all men to live up to the same fitness standards in their middle age.  The reality is she has a people-pleasing, relatable personality, but you can see that all the attention on her curves has equally frustrated and helped launch a career simultaneously.  Impossible (so far) for her to move beyond that objectification and translate it into a serious acting career.  Always a double edged sword for women.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's like he's making decisions in slow motion, like he can't process what's happening fast enough, hence the relievers constantly hurrying to warm-up, I don't know that's something that you'd expect to improve with a 76 year old who's been away from the game for a decade. Seems like the problems we're having are exactly the types of situations you'd hope to avoid by hiring a hall of fame manager.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

It's like he's making decisions in slow motion, like he can't process what's happening fast enough, hence the relievers constantly hurrying to warm-up, I don't know that's something that you'd expect to improve with a 76 year old who's been away from the game for a decade. Seems like the problems we're having are exactly the types of situations you'd hope to avoid by hiring a hall of fame manager.

From my very low level coaching experience it sometimes takes a few games to feel on top of everything at the start of a season. I’m wary of TLR but I’ll give him another week or so before saying his brain can’t keep up

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

From my very low level coaching experience it sometimes takes a few games to feel on top of everything at the start of a season. I’m wary of TLR but I’ll give him another week or so before saying his brain can’t keep up

I don't care what the excuse is, he's being paid 7 figures to do this at the highest level. None of those are acceptable excuses.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't care what the excuse is, he's being paid 7 figures to do this at the highest level. None of those are acceptable excuses.

It’s not an excuse. I think he’s been a very average (at best) coach so far, but it offers the possibility that he could be better.