Old Sox Games on Youtube

flavum

2 hours ago, tray said:

Harry Caray was a joke.

Harry was an awesome announcer until his last few seasons with the Cubs.

3 hours ago, flavum said:

First few minutes of this is gold. Great channel, by the way,

I watched a few games during the winter, posted a link about a very interesting game where Tony became a lawyer pre-game, and they discussed the "approved" sale to Ed Debartolo and Farmeo came in for the final out to get the save the season he set the all time White Sox save mark until Bob James topped him five years later.

Jack Brickhouse was the voice of the White Sox in the early 60's. Vince Lloyd did Lead-off man.

People respected the "Democrat" President back then. (Pres. Obama, a White Sox fan, was smart enough to stay away and avoid the haters and  boo birds)

LBJ, HHH , Dirksen, Dean Rusk and others in the stands.  Jungle Jim Rivera catches the first pitch from JFK and gets it autographed.

Jack Brickhouse announces White Sox Opening Day at Washington in 1961.

Edited by tray

Al Capone had front row seats at Comiskey Park in 1931 for a Cubs vs. White Sox charity game.

Pictured with Gabby "Homer in the Gloamin'" Hartnett.

CaponeAl-Cubs-1931.jpg

Today's game is a full broadcast of a game on Summer Solstice, June 21,1980 against Sparky Anderson and his Detroit Tigers. Sparky talks to Harry Caray about a brawl the previous evening, and praised Tony La Russa for his role in breaking up the fight.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Al Capone had front row seats at Comiskey Park in 1931 for a Cubs vs. White Sox charity game.

Pictured with Gabby "Homer in the Gloamin'" Hartnett.

CaponeAl-Cubs-1931.jpg

Today's game is a full broadcast of a game on Summer Solstice, June 21,1980 against Sparky Anderson and his Detroit Tigers. Sparky talks to Harry Caray about a brawl the previous evening, and praised Tony La Russa for his role in breaking up the fight.

I imagine that baseball would be worth quite a bit of money, but the look on Sonny Capone's face tells me he wasnt much of a baseball fan and probably threw it away.

Edited by Melton1972

5 hours ago, Melton1972 said:

I imagine that baseball would be worth quite a bit of money, but the look on Sonny Capone's face tells me he wasnt much of a baseball fan and probably threw it away.

By the look on his face, he may have been a Sox fan, and Cubsessed.

If he did ask his dad to whack Gabby, it failed as he played for the reminder of the decade, including the historic “Homer in the gloamin’ “ game.

7 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Anyone remember this?

Yes, definitely remember that goof.

Also remember a fan falling out of the upper deck and dying at Comiskey the first evening I worked at the ballpark as an Andy Frain usher. I didn’t witness it first hand.

Couldn’t find an online news story posted, but it’s listed in the link below (5/16/1986).

https://deathattheballpark.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/fan-fatalities-from-falls/

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Also remember a fan falling out of the upper deck and dying at Comiskey the first evening I worked at the ballpark as an Andy Frain usher. I didn’t witness it first hand.

Couldn’t find an online news story posted, but it’s listed in the link below (5/16/1986).

I was 11 years old and sitting in the 3rd row of the upper deck right in front of where this happened.  I saw the whole thing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:By the look on his face, he may have been a Sox fan, and Cubsessed.

If he did ask his dad to whack Gabby, it failed as he played for the reminder of the decade, including the historic “Homer in the gloamin’ “ game.

Yes, definitely remember that goof.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-05-17-8602040694-story.html

I lived on Maplewood for a few years when I was a preschooler.

• Thanks 1

The Sox-Angels clip is great. Nice to see my favorite Sox manager Jim Fregosi in the other dug out. I noticed he was wearing his wind breaker 

even before he got to Chicago. I don't think I ever saw him without it. He was a good manager and a funny guy too. Too bad we didn't any 

good players when he was here. Took the Phillies to the world series in1993.

Edited by zisk
add
  • Like 1

Al Capone....such a pleasant thought.

Harry Caray was a drunken sot...a real jackass.  He drank Bud during games, slurred his words, and promoted excessive drinking. He was part of the circus that the Veecks thought they needed to make money.  When Harry went to the Cubs he was perhaps slightly more sober during day games and probably had more restrictive guidelines than he did from Bill Veeck Sr. and Jr. What a stroke.   Oh yea. LaRussa had two DUIs.

Edited by tray

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Harry Caray was a drunken sot...a real jackass.  He drank Bud during games, slurred his words, and promoted drinking. He was part of the circus that the Veecks thought they needed to make money.  When Harry went to the Cubs he was a little more sober during day games and probably had more restrictive guidelines than he did from Bill Veeck Sr. and Jr. What a stroke.   Oh yea. LaRussa had two DUIs.

Typical idiotic garbage rant from you with no basis in fact.

1. Harry Caray was signed in 1971, five years prior to Veeck's arrival saving the White Sox, and was kept on by Jerry Reinsdorf. Three owners. All wanted him. Very popular.
  2. Your massa Reinsdorf wanted to keep Caray after the switch to his failed PPV scheme. Harry told him to go fuck himself, and changed Chicago baseball forever, changing the fan base from 50/50 to 70/30 Cubs. 
  3. Promoting Drinking? You mean the Goose Island Section? The Revolution Fan Cave? Goose Island White Sox Beer? Hope you don't watch White Sox baseball, if they aren't pimping drinking, they are pimping gambling and penis pills.
  4. You approve of recidivist criminal activity from your management. You're a sad tool
  5. Oh yeah, your criminal friend pimped beer too for Jerry Reinsdorf. GTFOH with your garbage, you sad troll.

Please try to refrain from personal attack. Interesting that you decided to make it personal. I won't bite but I will note that you appear to have a bone to pick.

Factoid?  Here is one about your Capone photo. Capone was sitting on the Cubs side of that White Sox Cubs game because his son "Sonny" was a Cub fan and was  pictured getting an autograph from one of his Cub idols, Gabby Hartnett.  So was John Dillinger.  LOL.

Edited by tray

2 hours ago, tray said:

Harry Caray was a drunken sot...a real jackass.  He drank Bud during games, slurred his words, and promoted excessive drinking. He was part of the circus that the Veecks thought they needed to make money.  When Harry went to the Cubs he was perhaps slightly more sober during day games and probably had more restrictive guidelines than he did from Bill Veeck Sr. and Jr. What a stroke.   Oh yea. LaRussa had two DUIs.

So sorry to hear you didn’t like or appreciate the great Harry Caray, he of the wildly popular Caray’s among not one, not two, but three fan bases AND Hall of Fame Caray’s.  

Easily one of the best broadcasters of all time.   

• Love 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Typical idiotic garbage rant from you with no basis in fact.

1. Harry Caray was signed in 1971, five years prior to Veeck's arrival saving the White Sox, and was kept on by Jerry Reinsdorf. Three owners. All wanted him. Very popular.
  2. Your massa Reinsdorf wanted to keep Caray after the switch to his failed PPV scheme. Harry told him to go fuck himself, and changed Chicago baseball forever, changing the fan base from 50/50 to 70/30 Cubs. 
  3. Promoting Drinking? You mean the Goose Island Section? The Revolution Fan Cave? Goose Island White Sox Beer? Hope you don't watch White Sox baseball, if they aren't pimping drinking, they are pimping gambling and penis pills.
  4. You approve of recidivist criminal activity from your management. You're a sad tool
  5. Oh yeah, your criminal friend pimped beer too for Jerry Reinsdorf. GTFOH with your garbage, you sad troll.

Great post.  Thank you.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, zisk said:

The Sox-Angels clip is great. Nice to see my favorite Sox manager Jim Fregosi in the other dug out. I noticed he was wearing his wind breaker 

even before he got to Chicago. I don't think I ever saw him without it. He was a good manager and a funny guy too. Too bad we didn't any 

good players when he was here. Took the Phillies to the world series in1993.

I remember being very fond of Jim Fregosi as a manager after six annoying years of watching early LaRussa, who was too stubborn in my view and whose strategic decisions often left you scratching your head.  Literally immediately after arriving I found Fregosi’s style of managing and decision making to be a refreshing change from that of LaRussa.

Unfortunately for Fregosi he was Hawk’s choice, and his style didn’t mesh with Hawk’s successor, Larry Himes.  Almost like oil and water, those two.  Fregosi’s days were numbered not too long into Himes’ tenure as GM.

• Love 1

• 7 months later...
On 4/11/2021 at 5:27 PM, Thad Bosley said:

I remember being very fond of Jim Fregosi as a manager after six annoying years of watching early LaRussa, who was too stubborn in my view and whose strategic decisions often left you scratching your head.  Literally immediately after arriving I found Fregosi’s style of managing and decision making to be a refreshing change from that of LaRussa.

Unfortunately for Fregosi he was Hawk’s choice, and his style didn’t mesh with Hawk’s successor, Larry Himes.  Almost like oil and water, those two.  Fregosi’s days were numbered not too long into Himes’ tenure as GM. 

I enjoyed Fregosi but I was a kid...I loved his successor!  Torborg might be my second favorite White Sox manager! 

• Love 1