4/4 GT- 7:37 CT- Sox vs Halos

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This is starting to feel more like a development year than a contending year. We have Madrigal, Collins, Robert, Cease, all developing to major league talent. 3 of those names are supposed to be major contributors to the team's success. They better figure it out like by July, or this season is a wash. That said it's still SUPER early, but early signs aren't great, at all. There is a lot of work that needs to be done. 

Even Moncada looks like he needs to relearn how to compete at the major league level.

The list is lot longer. Madrigal, Robert, Collins , Mercedes, Vaughn, Heuer, Foster, Crochet, Kopech . All are either rookies or entering their 1st full season .

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

This is starting to feel more like a development year than a contending year. We have Madrigal, Collins, Robert, Cease, all developing to major league talent. 3 of those names are supposed to be major contributors to the team's success. They better figure it out like by July, or this season is a wash. That said it's still SUPER early, but early signs aren't great, at all. There is a lot of work that needs to be done. 

They were able to contend last year with most of these same guys and black holes at DH & RF, so they should be able to again.  But this is where the lack of depth hurts.  No one is expecting all stars on the bench, but a reserve infielder who can play SS & 2B while not being a black hole against RHP would be a godsend right now.  Instead we have to rock Leury out there while Timmy misses time.  Unfortunately, when you compound that with a bunch of developing players your margin for error becomes razor thin.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The list is lot longer. Madrigal, Robert, Collins , Mercedes, Vaughn, Heuer, Foster, Crochet, Kopech . All are either rookies or entering their 1st full season .

Can't use this as an excuse for not contending.  The Rays, A's, Indians have been following this type of developmental model and winning a lot while doing so.

• Like 1

Haven’t been this excited for a season since probably 2006 to only be deflated so quickly. I know it’s only one series, but this team better get their shit together, I’d cool it with the World Series or bust talk until you make the playoffs in back to back (full) seasons. 

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

Can't use this as an excuse for not contending.  The Rays, A's, Indians have been following this type of developmental model and winning a lot while doing so.

And you can't say that either unless you name one of those teams lately that carried 9 guys who fit the same description I just gave . Probably wont find one even though you gave yourself an out by naming 3 teams. The Sox situation is unique in that 2020 was not a full season. Yes teams use a lot of players during the season but our guys are all supposed to play key roles now to compete for a Division title at the very least.

You can generalize that all you want but until proven I don't believe it. 9 guys is over 33% of the 26  and Cease you could say is the 10th because he has never started a season of 162 yet on the 25 or 26  man roster. So find me 10 guys like that on an Opening Day roster from those 3 teams.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Tony said it was one of the most impressive, courageous losses he’s ever been a part of.

19 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

When you post something like this, can you post the actual quote from a media source?

Tony literally said this within the past half hour, on the broadcast radio postgame show. Are you really expecting a published story at this point?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And you can't say that either unless you name one of those teams lately that carried 9 guys who fit the same description I just gave . Probably wont find one even though you gave yourself an out by naming 3 teams. The Sox situation is unique in that 2020 was not a full season. Yes teams use a lot of players during the season but our guys are all supposed to play key roles now to compete for a Division title at the very least.

You can generalize that all you want but until proven I don't believe it. 9 guys is over 33% of the 26  and Cease you could say is the 10th because he has never started a season of 162 yet on the 25 or 26  man roster. So find me 10 guys like that on an Opening Day roster from those 3 teams.

You know I always appreciate your insight. It’s really hard to judge the 2020 Sox. Yes they made the playoffs, but we have no idea how they would have held up for 162 games.  Maybe they win 100 games....or they win 75.  I’ve seen a lot of people (including myself) reference the 2020 results far too often.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

You know I always appreciate your insight. It’s really hard to judge the 2020 Sox. Yes they made the playoffs, but we have no idea how they would have held up for 162 games.  Maybe they win 100 games....or they win 75.  I’ve seen a lot of people (including myself) reference the 2020 results far too often.

It’s quite simple.

Take away 18-2 against KC and Detroit, we were 17-23 in our other games.

Take away 2-8 vs. CLE, we’re a 15-15 team, in essence.

So let’s keep track of our record all season long against LAA, Houston, Oakland, Minnesota, Cleveland and the top 3 of the AL East.

That leaves Texas, Seattle, Detroit, KC, Boston and Baltimore.  Cleveland can probably go either way, but we have to prove we can actually beat them first. 

We are also 3-9, 1-2 and then 1-3 in our last 19 games.  5-14 is pretty brutal.  We’re not 32-16, but nor are we 5-14, either.

Edited by caulfield12

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

It is very hard which makes 2021 much harder when you have so many guys who haven't played 162 game seasons and with so much youth and lack of depth . People were saying we have a great bullpen. I said the potential is there to be great but fattening up stats against the likes of the Tigers and Royals wasn't a great predictor of success for the future . Your insight on that was very helpful.

Many thought Vaughn would be great right out of the gate. That can still happen but people were ragging on me because I had the audacity to say he wouldn't get an extension before the season started. I said the vets would have to lead the way to get a win tonight and they didn't and we lost. I loved Mercedes but I gave up on him making the team this year or ever getting meaningful time but injuries led to the Sox needing a bat . If not for Mercedes we could've lost all 4. I also said many times that the playoffs are not a given. But I am a patient guy. The Sox are very talented but opening in California in a stadium where all that youth hadn't played before nor the vets for a while wasn't going to be easy. They aren't going to win many games if Mercedes and Eaton are their 2 best hitters in a 4 game series on the road with the umps looking like they were paid off.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Their offense is a lot better 

our team looks pretty mediocre when moncada didnt hit all last season and not really so far...

anderson hurt, jimenez hurt...

I just despise the way our hitters approach hitting also.. its shitty.  Learn to take a walk and make the pitcher throw strikes.  This approach will never win.

Matt Vasgersian kept referring to the White Sox as one of the heavyweights in the AL, right up with the Yankees as favorites to go the the World Series.  They aren't, especially after the loss of Eloy. 

6 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This is starting to feel more like a development year than a contending year. We have Madrigal, Collins, Robert, Cease, all developing to major league talent.3 of those names are supposed to be major contributors to the team's success. They better figure it out like by July, or this season is a wash. That said it's still SUPER early, but early signs aren't great, at all. There is a lot of work that needs to be done. 

Even Moncada looks like he needs to relearn how to compete at the major league level.

I'm really not sure how anyone convinced themselves otherwise. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Because they can run a baseball team much better.

Not pushing the panic button but I think I jinxed the team by predicting Sox pitching staff might really be the surprise of baseball. I know baseball has changed (oh, has it changed, lift and pull and K and BB) but it wasn't TOO long ago a baseball cliche was that the pitching was way ahead of the hitting early in the season. Not being overly negative, but I think we can agree the Sox pitching deserved a D at best for the opening series. 

Looking for improvement once the Sox get home. Yes, for some weird reason, the road continues to bother the Sox even without a ton of fans. Sox could have won 3 of those games easily but squandered them away.

I'm not despondent, just a bit sad the Sox got smoked, losing 3 of 4.

Edited by greg775

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That means plenty of stupid mistakes young players make.  We've seen Robert do an Eloy impersonation.

43 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

That means plenty of stupid mistakes young players make.  We've seen Robert do an Eloy impersonation.

No one has looked especially good on defense yet. Moncada has made a couple of nice plays, but shaky a couple of times as well.