4/4 GT- 7:37 CT- Sox vs Halos

soxfan49

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When things go bad?  I’m referring to a USA Today story that was published BEFORE the season that includes actual quotes from the KENNY WILLIAMS.  But thanks for the uninformed accusation!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4801933001

See we didn't play service time games with you , now sign the cheap extension ! Trust us we have your best interests at heart.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Reasons for optimism, the defense can’t be this bad going forward and the bullpen won’t cough up games like this.  If the rotation, in particular  Cease, can be strong then the rest will follow.

Tatis has four errors alone, and just 2/15, but somehow the Padres are 3-0 (likely to be 3-1 unless they can rally.)  But really good teams teams have the unique ability to figure out how to overcome mistakes and not compound them.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

See we didn't play service time games with you , now sign the cheap extension ! Trust us we have your best interests at heart.

Either Rick Hahn has an ability to negotiate extensions that other teams’ GMs cannot, or the reality is that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to “win” these deals so obviously.

They’re not going to be able to low ball TA, Lucas or Vaughn.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Reasons for optimism, the defense can’t be this bad going forward and the bullpen won’t cough up games like this.  If the rotation, in particular  Cease, can be strong then the rest will follow.

While the Sox obviously don't have the best defense. I'm just going to say we have some extremely young and inexperienced players who have never played or pitched in Anaheim or Seattle or many of the other parks they will be seeing this year. The Sox might not get off to a great start but I would think some of these guys are going to start to relax. Some handle it better than others but the veterans have to lead the way . Tim , Jose, Grandal and Moncada need to lead the offense . Eaton's been fine offensively but needs to tighten up the defense. Show the kids how it's done and take some pressure off them. Let's show some patience on a Holy Day at least.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Hamilton was always starting this game.  TLR said he was going to try and get everyone a start in the first series.   Relax everyone.  

Where is Jake Lamb, another cheap and stupid Hahn acquisition?

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where is Hahn’s name in that story?  Maybe actually read the actual article instead of going on your typical Rick Hahn witch-hunt.

Had to sit through 10,000 fire Ricky posts, you can read through a few Hahn posts.

Addressing your Vaughn comment, not the story you keep mentioning. Vaughn is another DH / 1B / C 40 on a roster chalk full of them, when Leury Garcia is the extent of your outfield and infield depth during a "multi championship window". Hamilton, Vaughn, Garcia and Eaton, who looks like he's 50 out there, manning the two corners. Not to mention Nick Trubisky instead of Jarred Kelenic. Jake Lamb? He hasn't been even decent since 2017. Billy Hamilton? WTF. 

Poor roster construction, plain and simple, not that it's any different from his first eight previous seasons. When is his contract done, and does it matter as long as Jerry is still breathing air?

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While the Sox obviously don't have the best defense. I'm just going to say we have some extremely young and inexperienced players who have never played or pitched in Anaheim or Seattle or many of the other parks they will be seeing this year. The Sox might not get off to a great start but I would think some of these guys are going to start to relax. Some handle it better than others but the veterans have to lead the way . Tim , Jose, Grandal and Moncada need to lead the offense . Eaton's been fine offensively but needs to tighten up the defense. Show the kids how it's done and take some pressure off them. Let's show some patience on a Holy Day at least.

I actually think we have a good defense outside of a few spots.  Honestly, I’m probably more concerned about Eaton than anyone else at this point as we need him to be average at least and he’s looked a little shaky out there.  Hopefully that is just early season rust and/or struggles with this particular field.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Tatis has four errors alone, and just 2/15, but somehow the Padres are 3-0 (likely to be 3-1 unless they can rally.)  But really good teams teams have the unique ability to figure out how to overcome mistakes and not compound them.

Padres are the home team. It could be as simple as that. A lot of our guys have never played in Anaheim and our vets haven't played  there in a while and didn't play a night game all spring (ok maybe 1 ? ) I know we have a tendency to think the Sox are getting boned by the umps but even that Angels fan in here seemed to think so. That's going to happen with veteran umps with youth playing against veteran players on the road. So there's a lot working against us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Where is Jake Lamb, another cheap and stupid Hahn acquisition?

Had to sit through 10,000 fire Ricky posts, you can read through a few Hahn posts.

Addressing your Vaughn comment, not the story you keep mentioning. Vaughn is another DH / 1B / C 40 on a roster chalk full of them, when Leury Garcia is the extent of your outfield and infield depth during a "multi championship window". Hamilton, Vaughn, Garcia and Eaton, who looks like he's 50 out there, manning the two corners. Not to mention Nick Trubisky instead of Jarred Kelenic. Jake Lamb? He hasn't been even decent since 2017. Billy Hamilton? WTF. 

Poor roster construction, plain and simple, not that it's any different from his first eight seasons.

Well you won’t find me defending the depth part of the roster construction.

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's like people don't understand that Hahn has a limited payroll to work with. 

When you have a $130M payroll, you don't make a declining 30 something catcher the richest player in club history, especially when you already have an All Star catcher. You don't offer one of the few multi-year contracts across all of baseball, to make someone the highest paid reliever when you already have Bummer and a strong bullpen.

You don't cream your pants each December 1, with these ridiculous acquisitions (Parrot, Mazara, Eaton), you don't give four years (hopefully three if he doesn't vest) to an aging pitcher, known primarily for his engagement and yapping to the media. You don't waste Kopech in the bullpen, for at least 1-2 years per Dallas Keuchel.

Tampa is head and shoulders above the Sox with less than half the Sox' payroll to work with. Minnesota and Cleveland have pwned the Sox during Hahn's entire tenure, despite their penny pinching ways. It's not the size of the payroll, its the pathetic assclown spending it.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I actually think we have a good defense outside of a few spots.  Honestly, I’m probably more concerned about Eaton than anyone else at this point as we need him to be average at least and he’s looked a little shaky out there.  Hopefully that is just early season rust and/or struggles with this particular field.

I haven't been able to watch the games due to the blackout here in So Cal. I did see the replay on one of the Eaton errors when he was running toward the foul line. I started thinking when was the last game he played in Anaheim ? He seemed a little stumbly and unsure of where he was or how close he was getting to the stands or wall. I also noticed he tried to catch it like we are taught as youngsters with 2 hands. There are times when a LH throwing OFer has to backhand that ball near the RF line with his right hand. Bringing that other hand over next to or behind your glove doesn't help your balance at all when you are on the run and sometimes it will shorten your reach. And he did actually come up short on that ball. He never quite reached it .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Padres are the home team. It could be as simple as that. A lot of our guys have never played in Anaheim and our vets haven't played  there in a while and didn't play a night game all spring (ok maybe 1 ? ) I know we have a tendency to think the Sox are getting boned by the umps but even that Angels fan in here seemed to think so. That's going to happen with veteran umps with youth playing against veteran players on the road. So there's a lot working against us.

Yeah, I agree.  Tatis now actually has five errors.  These are human beings... I think nearly every player in MLB history who signed a massive contract has struggled out of the gate to prove they're really worth that money. 

Undoubtedly, Vaughn and Madrigal have higher expectations of themselves than even their most ardent supporters can place on them. 

And that's part of the problem... Tatis believes he can make every play, just like Eloy can't resist his tendency to make goofy plays when he gets near the wall or netting.  It can be managed or controlled, but it is a constant struggle.  Look at TA, he could easily win a Gold Glove on a yearly basis based on ability, but it takes consistent application in terms of honing the mental/psychological side of one's game.  I almost think Eloy's so used to playing the clown or joker that subconsciously he does silly things to entertain us and make his teammates laugh. 

Edited by caulfield12

15 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's like people don't understand that Hahn has a limited payroll to work with. 

Which is why you have to be extremely careful with contracts like the ones for Grandal and Keuchel and even Eaton. 

You can't start trading extensions for Lynn instead of Giolito and still aspire to be a championship level ballclub. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I haven't been able to watch the games due to the blackout here in So Cal. I did see the replay on one of the Eaton errors when he was running toward the foul line. I started thinking when was the last game he played in Anaheim ? He seemed a little stumbly and unsure of where he was or how close he was getting to the stands or wall. I also noticed he tried to catch it like we are taught as youngsters with 2 hands. There are times when a LH throwing OFer has to backhand that ball near the RF line with his right hand. Bringing that other hand over next to or behind your glove doesn't help your balance at all when you are on the run and sometimes it will shorten your reach. And he did actually come up short on that ball. He never quite reached it .

Just sent you a PM

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, I agree.  Tatis now actually has five errors.  These are human beings... I think nearly every player in MLB history who signed a massive contract has struggled out of the gate to prove they're really worth that money. 

Undoubtedly, Vaughn and Madrigal have higher expectations of themselves than even their most ardent supporters can place on them. 

And that's part of the problem... Tatis believes he can make every play, just like Eloy can't resist his tendency to make goofy plays when he gets near the wall or netting.  It can be managed or controlled, but it is a constant struggle.  Look at TA, he could easily win a Gold Glove on a yearly basis based on ability, but it takes consistent application of honing that psychological side of one's game.  I almost think Eloy's so used to playing the clown or joker that subconsciously he does silly things to entertain us and make his teammates laugh. 

There really was no reason to hang himself by his arm on the wall like that but he did it because the young just have a tendency to think they are invulnerable even though you would think by now he would have learned that he isn't. I wouldn't dare to try to psychoanalyze  him as  you did . We learn by our mistakes gradually or in many cases never."Youth is wasted on the young" is another way old timers have of saying that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because it’s a fair question since La Russa entered the organization.  We know he is not the guy KW & Hahn initially wanted.  Do you actually think KW, Hahn, & Tony have been fully aligned on everything since then?  I’m not event sure what you think your little “gotcha” moment is actually about here.

Yes to answer your question. Especially about.... *gasp* Vaughn 

3 hours ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Five years into a rebuild and Billy Hamilton is our starting left fielder. Good lord that is depressing. 

The pandemic killed our ability to adjust to events like the Eloy injury. All our best  prospects are basically unknown quantities and in the lower minors. But the Sox should be open to a Vaughn trade package for a REAL world series outfielder ideally. Colas and Cespedes while I’m glad to be able to add them, are not answers to any questions.  If this team is truly in win now mode that is.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The pandemic killed our ability to adjust to events like the Eloy injury. All our best  prospects are basically unknown quantities and in the lower minors. But the Sox should be open to a Vaughn trade package for a REAL world series outfielder ideally. Colas and Cespedes while I’m glad to be able to add them, are not answers to any questions.  If this team is truly in win now mode that is.

Every other organization in baseball had the same problem with player development during the pandemic. There was nothing preventing the Sox from going out and acquiring suitable big league depth this off-season. They chose not to do so now it's replacement level Billy Hamilton because 1 player got hurt.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Should have offered Vaughn for Burnes

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Every other organization in baseball had the same problem with player development during the pandemic. There was nothing preventing the Sox from going out and acquiring suitable big league depth this off-season. They chose not to do so now it's replacement level Billy Hamilton because 1 player got hurt.

The flops that are the outfield prospects from a few years ago in AA have hurt the depth.