Tim Anderson to 10 day IL, retroactive to April 5

Balta1701

33 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm not sure they can beat anyone without both TA and Eloy with the bullpen being far less than advertised. 

It is far far far far too early to write off the pen. Injuries to 2 of our best 3 players....now that is another story. Hopefully TA is back by the weekend. 

I know everyone here wants to complain about the lack of depth, but teams probably don't and really shouldn't plan for replacing the production of players like Tim and Eloy. It's just not possible. Talent capable of adequately replacing their production are probably already being paid very well and starting on another team. 

Our depth in replacing Eloy, Tim, and to a lesser extent Adam Engel is what most other teams would have to replace their very best players. Players like Leury, Mercedes, Hamilton, Mendick, and the occasional uber prospect to give a shot at a new position like Andrew Vaughn.

Believe me, I KNOW it sucks. I'm as pissed off as anyone, at no one BUT Eloy Jimenez for costing us what could likely have been 30 HR of production. His bat is crucial to this lineup potentially being devastating, and his reckless need to show that he can be an amazing defensive player cost the team dearly. It's just a shame it took a major injury to get to this point and hopefully learn that lesson and not the multiple minor injuries he already suffered.

I can't really speak about Tim right now as there's a chance he will be just fine. Losing him for a long time would suck and everyone here would be right to be extremely worried about the competitiveness of the team. At that point, all it takes is a couple of our best bullpen / SP or another lineup regular to go down for an extended time for the season to truly be in jeopardy. 

But, you just can't plan for losing your best players for a long period of time. You build your roster with the idea that your best players will be there for 150 games. 

As an aside... how White Sox has this season been so far? If this injury bug and bad play continues I will continue to say that aside from 2005 this is one of the worst luck franchises around. Or we are the worst luck fans. However you want to look at it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I know everyone here wants to complain about the lack of depth, but teams probably don't and really shouldn't plan for replacing the production of players like Tim and Eloy. It's just not possible. Talent capable of adequately replacing their production are probably already being paid very well and starting on another team. 

Our depth in replacing Eloy, Tim, and to a lesser extent Adam Engel is what most other teams would have to replace their very best players. Players like Leury, Mercedes, Hamilton, Mendick, and the occasional uber prospect to give a shot at a new position like Andrew Vaughn.

Believe me, I KNOW it sucks. I'm as pissed off as anyone, at no one BUT Eloy Jimenez for costing us what could likely have been 30 HR of production. His bat is crucial to this lineup potentially being devastating, and his reckless need to show that he can be an amazing defensive player cost the team dearly. It's just a shame it took a major injury to get to this point and hopefully learn that lesson and not the multiple minor injuries he already suffered.

I can't really speak about Tim right now as there's a chance he will be just fine. Losing him for a long time would suck and everyone here would be right to be extremely worried about the competitiveness of the team. At that point, all it takes is a couple of our best bullpen / SP or another lineup regular to go down for an extended time for the season to truly be in jeopardy. 

But, you just can't plan for losing your best players for a long period of time. You build your roster with the idea that your best players will be there for 150 games. 

As an aside... how White Sox has this season been so far? If this injury bug and bad play continues I will continue to say that aside from 2005 this is one of the worst luck franchises around. Or we are the worst luck fans. However you want to look at it.

Agreed.

I think the only way around this (PTAC and Texsox seem to have their own unique strategies) is to adopt an NL team.

When I lived in Kansas City for a decade, I took to cheering for them just because they were the underdog and so inept they'd gone for 30 years or so since a playoff team, and it was fun to blame the Evil Empire of the NY Yankees for all the troubles with the Royals.  In 2013-15, it was rewarding (as a former resident) to see the (remember Hawk lavishing praise back then?) rebuild come together and a team built on speed and contact and lockdown bullpens changing the face of the sport in front of one's eyes.

So cheering for them (it was those great 1980's Cardinals' teams growing up), for Yasiel Puig, now for the Padres, at least I can experience the full width and breadth of players in baseball and enjoy the game being played well.

That doesn't mean I didn't suffer through the full length of all four of those games in LA this past weekend.  Sox fans can never quit their team, no matter how hard they try.

I do get jealous sometimes of my friends who can easily convert to a University of Alabama fan, or a Yankees' fan, but I just don't have it in me.   That's part of the fun when you are stuck cheering for a college sports team that barely has a 1-2% chance of ever getting into a National Championship game or then the whole White Sox odyssey since the early 1970's.

That being said, I am still glad my favorite uncle of my mom's side was a union man/blue collar guy and White Sox and not Cubs fan like my other uncle.  That unique perspective on life has made an appreciable difference, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Agreed.

I think the only way around this (PTAC and Texsox seem to have their own unique strategies) is to adopt an NL team.

When I lived in Kansas City for a decade, I took to cheering for them just because they were the underdog and so inept they'd gone for 30 years or so since a playoff team, and it was fun to blame the Evil Empire of the NY Yankees for all the troubles with the Royals.  In 2013-15, it was fun to see the rebuild come together and a team built on speed and contact and lockdown bullpens changing the face of the sport in front of one's eyes.

So cheering for them (it was those great 1980's Cardinals' teams growing up), for Yasiel Puig, now for the Padres, at least I can experience the full width and breadth of players in baseball and enjoy the game being played well.

That doesn't mean I didn't suffer through the full length of all four of those games in LA this past weekend.  Sox fans can never quit their team, no matter how hard they try.

I do get jealous sometimes of my friends who can easily convert to a University of Alabama fan, or a Yankees' fan, but I just don't have it in me.   That's part of the fun when you are stuck cheering for a college sports team that barely has a 1-2% chance of ever getting into a National Championship game or then the whole White Sox odyssey since the early 1970's.

That's said, I am glad my favorite uncle of my mom's side was a union man/blue collar guy and White Sox and not Cubs fan.  That unique perspective on life has made an appreciable difference, lol.

It took a moment lol. 

Loving baseball helps. Betting the under 90 wins helps. Being an optimistic introvert is my overall best strategy.

59 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Our depth in replacing Eloy, Tim, and to a lesser extent Adam Engel is what most other teams would have to replace their very best players.

There are no credible fans who believe teams have guys sitting around who can replace the top players in the league. I cringe at times when I hear people rip on the insertion of bench players, even though regulars need rest, and for bench players to get playing time to stay fresh. Many only look at this particular moment, and not the broader picture. It's what scares me most about La Russa, especially when it comes to truly valuable talents ensuring Kopech is a starter capable of at least 140-150 innings next season.

That said, the White Sox have by and large failed in areas of player acquisition beyond Cubans and tanking trades. Failed top ten draft picks. Other picks (and top free agent dollars) concentrated in areas you already have surplus and strength (DH, 1B, C). Terrible non tanking trades and FA acquisitions.

Not having a single ML ready corner OFer, and relying on two DHs (Eloy and Vaughn) to play one corner, and an end of career player in RF. Guys like Hamilton and Lamb who are negative WAR players. Poor roster construction. The same problems that has plagued this team the past decade. Spending less FA money this offseason than your already cheap Division opponents. Penny pinching now, and wasting $60M on a few veterans during tanking. It's not going to change until Jerry and his cronies are all swept out, consistent with what the Chicago Bulls did once Jerry finally left the building.

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Agreed.

I think the only way around this (PTAC and Texsox seem to have their own unique strategies) is to adopt an NL team.....

That being said, I am still glad my favorite uncle of my mom's side was a union man/blue collar guy and White Sox and not Cubs fan like my other uncle.  That unique perspective on life has made an appreciable difference, lol.

Never knew @ptatc or @Texsox's followed teams. I liked both the Cubs and Sox until I was 8, than only White Sox. I adopted the Expos and Mets at that time. Sadly the Expos were destroyed by MLB decades later, and the Mets were destroyed by the Wilpons. I gave up the Mets for several years, but have returned to the fold with the new owner. Thankful Reinsdorf's power has waned over time, and his hand picked puppet ownership group (A Rod/ J Lo) were. denied. I'm hopeful baseball also returns to Montreal if MLB ever expands.

I stayed White Sox only, because we were also a working class family without a lot of money. I really appreciated the free White Sox tickets Bill Veeck gave to school children with perfect attendance and or good grades. Made me a fan for life. Such a smart promoter and overall great human being.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

38 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Thinking this way completely ignores how teams the Sox should be comparing themselves with (Dodgers, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Padres etc) have been building their team over the past few years. You can't do this in every area, but the goal should be to have more quality players than spots. The Padres have arguably the best SS in the game and they had another player in Jake Cronenworth who easily could have been slotted in at 2B without anyone batting an eye. What did they do? Sign Jurickson Profar and Kim Ha-Seong, two players who both project to be average or better SS but also give them positional versatility all across the diamond. Before anyone says Leury Garcia is an equivalent of that player, Profar was worth more WAR in 56 games last year than Leury has in his entire career. Obviously it's impossible for any team to have ~30 players on the level of TA or Eloy, but 3 injuries (counting Engel) should not lead to a contending team relying on replacement level Billy Hamilton 5 days into the season.

Also just wish casting good health on all of your best players is not reasonable The average team uses something like 10 starting pitchers in a given season. Just focusing on the Sox infield for a moment, TA has been on the IL two consecutive years prior to this one, Moncada has dealt with reoccurring hamstring issues in the past and how he'd bounce back from covid was a legitimate question, and Madrigal had major shoulder surgery in the off-season. It wasn't realistic AT ALL to expect all 3 of those guys to play 150 games this season. Adam Eaton had 1 season of more than 100 games while in Washington, Eloy was hurt 3 different times last year, and on down the line it goes. Of course you can do this with almost every player on every team. Guys who play 150 games annually are the exception, not the rule. The lack of depth the Sox had behind all of these players was obvious all winter which is why so many people spent the off-season harping on it begin a major point of concern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

(Dodgers, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Padres etc)

Every one of those teams, except maybe the dodgers, would be in a heap of trouble if they had to replace two of their three best players for months at a time. 

29 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Thinking this way completely ignores how teams the Sox should be comparing themselves with (Dodgers, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Padres etc) have been building their team over the past few years. You can't do this in every area, but the goal should be to have more quality players than spots. The Padres have arguably the best SS in the game and they had another player in Jake Cronenworth who easily could have been slotted in at 2B without anyone batting an eye. What did they do? Sign Jurickson Profar and Kim Ha-Seong, two players who both project to be average or better SS but also give them positional versatility all across the diamond. Before anyone says Leury Garcia is an equivalent of that player, Profar was worth more WAR in 56 games last year than Leury has in his entire career. Obviously it's impossible for any team to have ~30 players on the level of TA or Eloy, but 3 injuries (counting Engel) should not lead to a contending team relying on replacement level Billy Hamilton 5 days into the season.

Also just wish casting good health on all of your best players is not reasonable The average team uses something like 10 starting pitchers in a given season. Just focusing on the Sox infield for a moment, TA has been on the IL two consecutive years prior to this one, Moncada has dealt with reoccurring hamstring issues in the past and how he'd bounce back from covid was a legitimate question, and Madrigal had major shoulder surgery in the off-season. It wasn't realistic AT ALL to expect all 3 of those guys to play 150 games this season. Adam Eaton had 1 season of more than 100 games while in Washington, Eloy was hurt 3 different times last year, and on down the line it goes. Of course you can do this with almost every player on every team. Guys who play 150 games annually are the exception, not the rule. The lack of depth the Sox had behind all of these players was obvious all winter which is why so many people spent the off-season harping on it begin a major point of concern.

We spent the last three years developing pretty much ZERO outfielders at the minor league level.

Hence, having to spend the money on Eaton, and no depth beyond Leury/Eaton.

Started out with 5-6, ended up with pretty much zero.

We'll have Cespedes and Colas, but who knows what impact they can make it in 2022 and 2023.   At that point, we have to hope and pray that one of Cease/Kopech/Crochet will be the ace to replace Giolito.

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

Has nothing to do with luck.

Historically, CWS has not enjoyed the advantage of having dynamic, affluent sportsmen in the owner's suite - from Comiskey to the Reinsdorf cabal.

LAD is standing in the way of a World Championship.

No way in hell are the Sox remotedly as good as them. 

Reinsdorf did his once in a regime mambo in 2005. 

I can only hope the paradigm will finally change once this long past its expiration regime comes to a merciful, penny-pitching, finish-second-to-keep-the- base-thirsty end.

Edited by GradMc

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There are no credible fans who believe teams have guys sitting around who can replace the top players in the league. I cringe at times when I hear people rip on the insertion of bench players, even though regulars need rest, and for bench players to get playing time to stay fresh. Many only look at this particular moment, and not the broader picture. It's what scares me most about La Russa, especially when it comes to truly valuable talents ensuring Kopech is a starter capable of at least 140-150 innings next season.

That said, the White Sox have by and large failed in areas of player acquisition beyond Cubans and tanking trades. Failed top ten draft picks. Other picks (and top free agent dollars) concentrated in areas you already have surplus and strength (DH, 1B, C). Terrible non tanking trades and FA acquisitions.

Not having a single ML ready corner OFer, and relying on two DHs (Eloy and Vaughn) to play one corner, and an end of career player in RF. Guys like Hamilton and Lamb who are negative WAR players. Poor roster construction. The same problems that has plagued this team the past decade. Spending less FA money this offseason than your already cheap Division opponents. Penny pinching now, and wasting $60M on a few veterans during tanking. It's not going to change until Jerry and his cronies are all swept out, consistent with what the Chicago Bulls did once Jerry finally left the building.

Never knew @ptatc or @Texsox's followed teams. I liked both the Cubs and Sox until I was 8, than only White Sox. I adopted the Expos and Mets at that time. Sadly the Expos were destroyed by MLB decades later, and the Mets were destroyed by the Wilpons. I gave up the Mets for several years, but have returned to the fold with the new owner. Thankful Reinsdorf's power has waned over time, and his hand picked puppet ownership group (A Rod/ J Lo) were. denied. I'm hopeful baseball also returns to Montreal if MLB ever expands.

I stayed White Sox only, because we were also a working class family without a lot of money. I really appreciated the free White Sox tickets Bill Veeck gave to school children with perfect attendance and or good grades. Made me a fan for life. Such a smart promoter and overall great human being.

He may also remember that once the Sox are eliminated I generally follow the Central Division teams then the Al until the end. There are a couple NL teams that might bump ahead of the AL in certain matchups. I always have enjoyed Cardinal fans. The Mets possibly. Astros mostly because of so many friends being fans. 

Really the key is I enjoy baseball. If I ever coached a team sport again I would find a baseball staff to join. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

100,000%