Tim Anderson to 10 day IL, retroactive to April 5

Balta1701

15 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

1. Thinking this way completely ignores how teams the Sox should be comparing themselves with (Dodgers, Yankees, Twins, Rays, Padres etc) have been building their team over the past few years. You can't do this in every area, but the goal should be to have more quality players than spots.

2. Also just wish casting good health on all of your best players is not reasonable.

3. The average team uses something like 10 starting pitchers in a given season. The lack of depth the Sox had behind all of these players was obvious all winter which is why so many people spent the off-season harping on it begin a major point of concern.

1. It isn't just the well-moneyed orgs that do this. Supposedly cash-poor Tampa build depth and versatility into their rosters, which lead to more cost effective teams that punch well above their weight. And this is in the traditionally-tough AL East! On the other end of the spectrum, the defending WS Champs didn't rest on their laurels this offseason. They didn't assume that everyone in their roster would be back, and that everyone would perform to their expectations. They went out and added the premier SP in FA, to extend their competitive advantage over their peers. 

By contrast, what did KW/RH/JR do, after a whimpering elimination to the first postseason in years? Did they really correct their lack of depth? Did they fix what needed to be fixed? Did they put themselves in position to take advantage of/EXTEND this competitive window? I'm not too sure, just yet.

2. I like your turn of phrase in the bolded. It isn't just "wish casting good health" from your best players. It's also "wish casting" that your players will all perform. Or "wish casting" that Cease/Lopez/Rodon/Kopech/Crochet will all perform, AND improve, AND stay healthy. So let's blow a pile of cash on a luxury purchase in the bullpen, instead, right?

And this is something that this FO has been doing for years, wish casting that those shitty teams under Ventura could compete, IF ONLY they added Samardzjia or James Shields, for example. I feel like this is how this org got mired in mediocrity in the first place, and I wonder if they've learned anything over the years or not.

3. I know we're all excited about Rodon's performance last night. But, after half a decade of mediocrity and injury, I reserve the right to doubt him going forward. And after years of bringing up young SPs who then can't hit the broad side of a barn with their FBs, I reserve the right to doubt Cease. So, I remain cautious in my outlook for this season, because of the reality of needing depth, and the lack of this team having any.

In any case, to the point of this thread, here's hoping TA gets back in the lineup soon, and starts putting up the numbers we've come to expect from him.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 1:08 AM, Two-Gun Pete said:

1. It isn't just the well-moneyed orgs that do this. Supposedly cash-poor Tampa build depth and versatility into their rosters, which lead to more cost effective teams that punch well above their weight. And this is in the traditionally-tough AL East! On the other end of the spectrum, the defending WS Champs didn't rest on their laurels this offseason. They didn't assume that everyone in their roster would be back, and that everyone would perform to their expectations. They went out and added the premier SP in FA, to extend their competitive advantage over their peers. 

By contrast, what did KW/RH/JR do, after a whimpering elimination to the first postseason in years? Did they really correct their lack of depth? Did they fix what needed to be fixed? Did they put themselves in position to take advantage of/EXTEND this competitive window? I'm not too sure, just yet.

2. I like your turn of phrase in the bolded. It isn't just "wish casting good health" from your best players. It's also "wish casting" that your players will all perform. Or "wish casting" that Cease/Lopez/Rodon/Kopech/Crochet will all perform, AND improve, AND stay healthy. So let's blow a pile of cash on a luxury purchase in the bullpen, instead, right?

And this is something that this FO has been doing for years, wish casting that those shitty teams under Ventura could compete, IF ONLY they added Samardzjia or James Shields, for example. I feel like this is how this org got mired in mediocrity in the first place, and I wonder if they've learned anything over the years or not.

3. I know we're all excited about Rodon's performance last night. But, after half a decade of mediocrity and injury, I reserve the right to doubt him going forward. And after years of bringing up young SPs who then can't hit the broad side of a barn with their FBs, I reserve the right to doubt Cease. So, I remain cautious in my outlook for this season, because of the reality of needing depth, and the lack of this team having any.

In any case, to the point of this thread, here's hoping TA gets back in the lineup soon, and starts putting up the numbers we've come to expect from him.

Other examples would be Todd Frazier...Dunn...or the Melky/Robertson/LaRoche/Beckham/Bonifacio and some forgettable veteran catcher “injection/jump start.”

Lynn might end up joining the Swisher, Shields and Shark trades in ignominy, but that still remains to be seen.  Long season.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

TLR said it was always going to be unlikely he was ready for Thursday so not unexpected but still disappointing.  Just hope it doesn't linger and it's def smart to be cautious early.

The dreaded cold weather in April/Chicago.  Holding him back longer instead of facing a season-long lingering issue is the only choice, especially looking at how the absence of Jimenez is already impacting others in the lineup who are trying to do too much to compensate.

22 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Other examples would be Todd Frazier...Dunn...or the Melky/Robertson/LaRoche/Beckham/Bonifacio and some forgettable veteran catcher “injection/jump start.”

Lynn might end up joining the Swisher, Shields and Shark trades in ignominy, but that still remains to be seen.  Long season.

I didn't like the Lynn acquisition, because Lynn is a fat fuck on the wrong side of 33, AND [more importantly, IMO] he's a rental. I would rather that the FO go get their rentals at the TDL than in the offseason; I would have rather used mid-level FA to fill the middle/back end of the rotation, and then make a trade mid-season, if needed.

That said, for 2021 [and for 2021 ONLY], at least the Lynn acquisition is defendable. The 2021 team is/was actually in their competitive window, vis a vis having a sufficient "critical mass" of good players to put themselves into position to compete. The Shields and Samardzjia trades were idiotic, moronic, dumb, and each fireable offenses for how fucking stoopid they were.

While the Swisher trades were dumb, they weren't in the same zip code of dumb as the Shields and Samardzjia trades. At least it was defendable that the 2008 team finished 1st in the division with Swisher, but even a blind, drunk spider monkey who took a few hits of acid could have seen that the 2014-16 teams DESPERATELY needed to rebuild; neither mediocre SP in Shields nor Samardzjia could have miracled those craptacular teams into the post season.  

Edited by Two-Gun Pete