4-5 GT: CWS @ SEA (9:10 PM CT)

Capn12

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I gotta admit, it's pretty hilarious to see Yermin wears an oven mit to run the bases. Usually only guys who are fast and swipe bases wear those.

Well obviously the Muffin Man needs an oven mitt, don't want him to get burned as bad as opposing pitchers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If you can accommodate a $175 million roster like the Cubs in 2016, it definitely helps.   Not for teams with middling payrolls.  No margin for error in asset allocation. 

Sure.

But if you're going to waste your FA wad on a closer, you'd better be sure your rotation is solid, and that you've got some depth to fall back on. Otherwise, you look stoopid when you as a FO have to resort to the likes of Hamilton for significant playing time in a supposedly "contending year."

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My beef isn’t spending the money on Hendriks necessarily (I would have prioritized other things given our salary constraints in hindsight), but his value is tied to him pitching a lot and in all sorts of high leverage situations.  Only 1.1 innings in four close games is crazy and not using him last night is simply unacceptable.  I hope La Russa has much more aggressive plans for Liam than what we have seen so far or his signing will be a total waste of minimal financial resources we were able to deploy this winter.

I fucking HATED the signing, not because I think Hendriks sucks or anything like that. I hated it because it was a dumb buy, based on the glaring holes in the roster. (And, as you said, the financial constraints with this org.) One would have assumed that after moronic acquisitions of closers in the past that didn't work out, that this FO would learn their lessons. Neither Billy Koch, nor David Robertson led this team to contending.

Here's hoping it works better for this org this time around.

And yeah, TLR needs to use Hendriks more aggressively. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

At what point does Kopech get more stretched out? Could have easily done 3 innings

I'd imagine they're gonna try the chris sale approach, granted I don't remember him getting too many 2+ inning outings, though back then the 3 batter rule didn't exist either

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I'd imagine they're gonna try the chris sale approach, granted I don't remember him getting too many 2+ inning outings, though back then the 3 batter rule didn't exist either

Sale pitched in 58 games and threw 2+ innings 11 times (3 innings twice). Theyre definitely asking more of Kopech. FWIW, I think Kopech is a starter long term and Crotchet is a high-leverage reliever. 

Do you guys ever go back and read the game thread from start to finish? 

You're all great. 

Hamilton in the lineup. This is the worst! > yeah Hamilton! Second best hitter on the team right now!

Grandal sucks! > love grandal what a HR!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Do you guys ever go back and read the game thread from start to finish? 

You're all great. 

Hamilton in the lineup. This is the worst! > yeah Hamilton! Second best hitter on the team right now!

Grandal sucks! > love grandal what a HR!

To be fair, when I called Hamilton the 2nd best hitter on the team I was simply mocking the other hitters in the lineup.  Dude hasn’t been above a 78 wRC+ since his rookie season, so me being not overly excited about his inclusion in the lineup is not a meatball take.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, when I called Hamilton the 2nd best hitter on the team I was simply mocking the other hitters in the lineup.  Dude hasn’t been above a 78 wRC+ since his rookie season, so me being not overly excited about his inclusion in the lineup is not a meatball take.

I know lol

It's just funny to read the ups and downs of a single game thread

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic