4-6 GT: CWS @ SEA (9:10 PM CT)

Capn12

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Looks like he could be Giolito’s personal catcher this year, since he also caught him OD.

Not sure why Giolito gets the kid glove treatment, should be able to pitch to any catcher, especially facing this horseshit team tonight.

Collins did not catch Giolito on opening day if that’s what you’re suggesting here.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You're not sure why the ace of the staff, one of the best pitchers in MLB and the public face of the team along with TA doesn't get to pick his catcher?  Come on.  Keeping Gio happy is literally one of the most important jobs TLR has this year.

The weaker pitchers need more help, Cease and Rodon. You sign a $74m catcher, and Giolito wants no part of him, sitting your best hitters.

If he’s a good pitcher, he should be able to pitch to Mercedes and or Grandal. He said he publicly he was working with Grandal. Grandal may need the day off, but Mercedes should be allowed to catch. He caught well in Spring Training, is more valuable if the Sox go two catchers once actual major league batters start returning to the roster.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The weaker pitchers need more help, Cease and Rodon. You sign a $74m catcher, and Giolito wants no part of him, sitting your two best hitters and kissing his prima donna ass with this personal catcher BS.

If he’s a good pitcher, he should be able to pitch to Mercedes and or Grandal. He said he publicly he was working with Grandal. 

He pitched to Grandal opening day. Not sure what you're going on about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He pitched to Grandal opening day. Not sure what you're going on about.

He is totally unfair to Grandal. That's all.

And as great as Yermin is, I'm not sure any pitcher wants to pitch to him, lol

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The weaker pitchers need more help, Cease and Rodon. You sign a $74m catcher, and Giolito wants no part of him, sitting your best hitters.

If he’s a good pitcher, he should be able to pitch to Mercedes and or Grandal. He said he publicly he was working with Grandal. Grandal may need the day off, but Mercedes should be allowed to catch. He caught well in Spring Training, is more valuable if the Sox go two catchers once actual major league batters start returning to the roster.

He's human, not a robot.  If he doesn't want Yermin catching him as the ace of the staff that's exactly the sort of concession a good manager will deal with imo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He is totally unfair to Grandal. That's all.

And as great as Yermin is, I'm not sure any pitcher wants to pitch to him, lol

Dude, I’m calling on Grandal to at least hit today, not sit at both C and DH.

Grandal may not be physically able to catch three days straight now, perhaps this is his routine for an extended period to keep him fresh.

Mercedes played well behind the plate this Spring, if you’re keeping his bat in the lineup, let him catch and Grandal DH, Collins plays with his platoon advantage tomorrow and Mercedes can rest tomorrow after catching and with a RHP on the mound.

Its smart both short term and for the long term once you get your ML roster players back and want a two catcher situation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Grandal or Collins: Death is not an option. 

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

TA when he's healthy imo.

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Lucas would think long and hard on that one.  

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's his natural position tho.

Bravo, you two.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Pitchers that want personal catchers, are being treated with kid gloves? Noted.

Signed,
Greg Maddux

Lucas has 80 starts, isn’t the established veteran that Maddux was at the time, and the Sox traded the one established catcher he did prefer. When he leaves for greener pastures in a few years, perhaps he will take a catcher with him as well, a la Maddux or Yu Darvish this off season. He’s not at that point in his career.

Also, I get the point and agree that when you CAN accommodate a pitcher with their preferred catcher you should. However there needs to be some flexibility, like today when you have two of your best four hitters out of the lineup, and now your sitting a third (not DHing if he can’t catch today).

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't mind giving Grandal a lot of days off.  In fact, I am liking that TLR is using the whole roster and keeping guys on their toes about keeping their spots early.  One thing I couldn't stand about Ventura and Rickie is that (imo of course) they didn't foster enough sense of competition intra-season.

Except Jake Lamb...who apparently doesn't exist

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Pitchers that want personal catchers, are being treated with kid gloves? Noted.

Signed,
Greg Maddux

Gerrit Cole and Clayton Kershaw both have personal catchers, too. I'm sure there are other aces that have them as well but those are two off the top of my head that I'm certain of.